Broccoli

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Hi guys. Would anyone happen to know what is wrong with my broccoli plant. It was in a greenhouse then I moved it outside. The next two days this happened...
uploadfromtaptalk1410492405148.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Could be sun scorch!!!
Gotta remember the greenhouse sun light is a lot less then outdoor sunshine, so the plant needs to adjust to the increase!
Did you place the plant in a semi-shaded area before moving it into full sun?

Yes it still has shade but not all day. As you can see it has a head on it. Will it affect the growth? Should I cut the dead leaves off or just leave it and let it grow? I'm a bit new to gardening.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can remove the leaf if you do not like seeing it in that state.
Yes the plant does have a nice head forming....

Okay thank you. I have other broccoli plants that were grown in may as well and still have no head.. These weren't in the greenhouse though these have been outside from the start.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you fertilize them? If so, what ratio is the fertilizer?
You should use on low in nitrogen and higher in phosphorus and potassium....

Wombat

Hi, I've used that fertilizer and it's very good as an "all rounder" type. It has an NPK ratio of 4 3 2. I've had success with broccoli in the past by changing to a fertilizer with a ratio of around 5 10 10. The nitrogen levels may seem a little low but this can be alleviated by foliar fertilising occasionally with seaweed emulsion Have you had A ph test done on your soil lately? Also are the broc all the same variety? As some mature faster than others.......:)

All the broccoli is the same type grown from seed all at the same time. Two plants I started in the green house which are a lot bigger compared to the other three plants that are grown on a garden bed. The pH levels in the soil were around 6.5 before the fertiliser was put on. I'm fairly new to this and the is my first year of growing broccoli :)

Wombat

Broccoli can be a little tricky if the conditions aren't right, soil temp, watering, feeding etc. Then again some folk have no trouble at all, just sow the seed and away they go. Maybe next time you grow a crop get a couple of different varieties as one may suit your area better. Don't worry too much about being new as we all have to start sometime. :) I also learnt a lot through experimenting with different plants and finding out what varieties do best in my local area.....above all, have fun!

The heads are getting a little bit bigger since I transplanted them. But still no sign of heads for the ones that were grown directly outside.. Should I just pull them out as it has been since may that they have been in the bed? Or do you think they will still head?

Wombat

I'd keep them in until your warmer weather arrives as you've got nothing to lose I guess. Some early varieties can take 10-12 weeks from seed, late varieties can take 16 weeks or more. How tall are the plants? If they're looking healthy enough just keep the water up to them as they love moisture, perhaps a side dressing of blood and bone fertilizer would help out too.

Wombat

30cm? Broccoli can get twice that height.....maybe wait a little longer as I said previously.......the most important thing with brocc is to keep them moist, feed them weekly and most of all be patient :D The warm weather will be here soon and they may flower and bolt to seed, but you never know!

Wombat

fortnightly would be fine.....just make sure the fertilizer is fairly low in nitrogen content:) If the weather is warm keep the plants moist, very important......

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com