Brooklyn rooftop cherry tree! We have some cherries!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

b.homeastead

Hello everyone.
I am so excited to have 20 or so cherries our young cherry tree that is on our roof. We have been working hard for the last couple of years trying to grow the tree properly on the roof. I think it may actually have worked. I'm just not sure what's wrong with the leaves still...Maybe too much water or heat on the roof?
I'm so excited that I made a short video showing it (it was 6:00 am so I may seem a little slow, just rolled out of bed:))

Cherry tree Video click here

cherries LR.jpg

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Interesting.
Love the idea of rooftop gardening!
There is one slight problem with cherry trees as they are self-sterile.
You will need another tree in order for cross pollination to occur and produce fruit!

fishycomics

the next tree can be down the block, its a city in a city in Bk? We had a neighbors tree LOS (line of Sight) say 700 ft, a block away

Last edited:

JasonCurtis

Congrats, man! Looks like your efforts have paid off. About the leaves, it could be that the roof's conditions, like too much water or heat, are causing some issues.
Had the same problem a few weeks ago, turned out to be the conditions. You can actually find more info about that on https://resopp-sn.org/. They share a lot of helpful agricultural practices there.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com