Brown-eyed and Black-eyed Susans

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Blueaussi

My front yard has been sadly neglected this year, so I was pleased and surprised to see a Brown-eyed Susan had sprouted out of a crack in the sidewalk right next to the front flower bed. I don't have any Brown-eyed Susans in that bed, but lots of Black-eyed Susans. I tried to take a picture to share, but the Black-eyed Susans are so abundant right now, they drowned out the Brown-eyed Susans!

I finally cropped around the pictures and zoomed in on the Brown-eyed Susans, and you still can't really tell they're not Black-eyed Susans. In the second picture, the tall plant to the right is the Brown-eyed Susan.

Attachments

• BrownEyedS4971.jpg
    BrownEyedS4971.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 311
  • BrownES4973.jpg
    BrownES4973.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 293

myfedora

Hmm I didn't know that there was brown eyed susans. I might have some and calling them black eyed susans.

Blueaussi

I'm sorry my pictures don't show the contrast. They're taller than Black-eyed Susans, and the flowers look like miniature Black-eyed Susans. I love them, and I was pleased to find this one, even if the dang thing did grow in a crack in the sidewalk. I'll hand scatter of its seeds in the flower bed this fall.

myfedora

Well if that is the case my mother just gave me some a couple of weeks ago. She was calling them mini black eyed susans.

Blueaussi

Brown-eyed Susans are Rudbeckia triloba, not Rudbeckia hirta like Black-eyed Susans, if you want to look up more inforamtion on them.

K

Kale

Brown-Eye Susan..
Not the best shot one can take but I have an iso (camera setting) infatuation and keep forgetting to lower it*LOL

Sadly, I do not find mine multiplying like Black Eye Susans. (nuts but a keeper*lol) Also there is a new variety that get a really ugly virus on the foliage (which has rather large leaves.) Not sure what the cause or repair.I met several people, I went to go see, sure enough the same issues,completely different environment. So I am guess they either bought them from the same place or just the same string.

Kale:)

Attachments

• P Browneyesue09..jpg
    P Browneyesue09..jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 300
  • P brwneysue09fy.jpg
    P brwneysue09fy.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 299

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com