Brug blooms to new height

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

flowersforlife

I just love brugs. Most of mine tho are planted in pots. I have been nursing my potted yellow brug by the back fence and now reaching new heights. My fence is 8 ft and it is towering above it. It recently bloomed for me, finally, and would you believe late in January. I am in zone 9a tho. Anyway, wanted to share my pic with you.

Comments? Join in.

Attachments

• 1-18-09-1-27-09 021.jpg
    1-18-09-1-27-09 021.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 361

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Very pretty! I'm in zone 8 and my brugs are gone for now. Mine are planted in the garden and I cut them back after the blooms are finished each year. My yellow got very tall also, it's about 3 years old now. I had a white one ..a new baby, to show it's first and only bloom back in Oct. I hope it does better this year. I like my Brugs and Daturas. The flowers are awesome.

flowersforlife

Thanks lynpenny,

Hi Gloria,
Thanks. Glad you grow brugs and dats. Most of my brugs are in pots except for a few in-ground in my front garden. I did not cut any of my brugs back this season. Doing a little experiment here.:D Fortunately, all of my brugs are hanging on this winter. :D We've had temps down to 31 degrees several times, only covered them once.

My yellow one is so strange. One long stalk or stem, then the very top has leaves and y'd out, then this bloom. What amazes me is that she has bloomed and tomorrow is Feb. 1st.

Other comments?

Spider_Lily

Hi Steph I'm in zone 8 my brugs are beginning to peek out.The first one is how it looks now.The second one was made this summer.

Attachments

• user24_pic345_1232374274_thumbmoms flowers.jpg
    user24_pic345_1232374274_thumbmoms flowers.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 381
  • Mzc1MTg4_smallmoms flowers.jpg
    Mzc1MTg4_smallmoms flowers.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 380

GardenBear1

living in New England I would love to plant some brugs but I really don't know that much about them, if any of you who live in the snow belt that grow them maybe will share what there needs are, do I have to grow them in pots and bring them in each winter or what or can I just cut them back and let them stay in the ground would love to have some around the yard
thanks for any help

Maggie

Treva, I looked at your flowers on your web site and your burgs. are beautiful. I'm hoping to start me some burgs. in the spring. How well do they seed. Really looking forward to my experience with them.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
living in New England I would love to plant some brugs but I really don't know that much about them, if any of you who live in the snow belt that grow them maybe will share what there needs are, do I have to grow them in pots and bring them in each winter or what or can I just cut them back and let them stay in the ground would love to have some around the yard
thanks for any help

When I grew them a few years ago I would bring them inside and put them down in the basement for the winter months. The only problem is that they get too large to move after a few years!
I did get tired dragging them inside in late October, and then drag them out around the begining of may!
I kept datura for a few years since they tend to be smaller they were easier to move!

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
beautiful blooms, thanks for sharing
i've got 5' of snow on the ground here so no blooms
ive never grown any brugs

flowersforlife

Hi Spider,
Yours look good. Are they named ones? Mine pictured is "Peaches & Cream".

Thanks Kya.

GardenBear1,
Hope you get your questions answered.

Maggie,
You can grow them from seed or cuttings. I think most people grow them from cuttings.

Ron, thanks for anwsering GB1's questions.

Hi Mainegal, sorry about your snow. Wow, 5 feet, that is terrible. You ought to give brugs a whirl tho.

Others?

Dor

Here's a picture of my first brug. It is a Frosty Pink. I have 5 new rooted cuttings.

Attachments

• Tuesday Morning 003.JPG
    Tuesday Morning 003.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 351

plantlover

GardenBear, no, you couldn't leave them in the ground! They aren't hardy in zones colder than 8. Zone 7 is pushing it. You could grow them in pots though, and grow them as a house plant you bring outside. That's pretty much what I do -- and I live in zone 8. I just don't have the room outside...Well, I do, but my landlord won't let me use it. They're gorgeous, and they get tons of blooms at one time. Unlike Datura, the flowers stay open. I just love them. I wish I had more!

flowersforlife

CG, sorry about your brugs.:( What zone are you?

Very nice Dor!

So far, so good with mine. We've been through 31 degree weather a few scattered nights, they are hanging on. I did cover them on those occasions. Today they are enjoying 70 ish degree sunny weather!:)

plantlover

I wasn't familiar with brugs until some folks here and elsewhere introduced me to them! Boy are they spectacular! The flowers are so perfect.

Dor, that Frosty Pink is beautiful. The color is really lovely!!!!!!!!

Great growing everyone!

flowersforlife

Last week I transplanted some of my potted brugs to my garden since I now have room. They appear to be much happier now getting more sun then before. The potted 'new height brug' is still in it's spot tho, doing fine!

Dor

Thanks Susan and Flowers. Last year was the first year for mine to bloom. It is at least 4 or 5 years old. Each time it bloomed they got larger and larger. I lost all of my cuttings of brugs except one. I have two from seeds that are over a foot tall. So I will have three different ones this year.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com