Cactus flower jewel tones

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

P

Pam/Digging

April 20, 2020
Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_3-1.jpg

A corona of a non-viral kind tops mammillaria cactus in bloom. It’s a crown of jewel-toned flowers!

Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_1-1.jpg

This particular specimen elicited chuckles from certain dirty-minded members of my family, when I cajoled them outside to see the cacti in bloom. All I see is a ’60s flower child wearing a crown of blossoms.

Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_2-1.jpg

You too, right?

Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_6-1.jpg

Another jewel-like flower perches amid orange-tinged spines on a different cactus.

Prickly_pear_cactus_flower-1.jpg

Prickly pear has been flowering too.

Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_4-1.jpg

But my favorite right now is this mammillaria that looks like a downy chick, with protruding flower “eyes” and an unopened bud “beak.”

Mammillaria_cactus_in_flower_5-1.jpg

A post-Easter chick!

I welcome your comments; please scroll to the end of this post to leave one. If you’re reading this in a subscription email, click here to visit Digging and find the comment box at the end of each post.

Digging Deeper: News and Upcoming Events

Join the mailing list for Garden Spark! Hungry to learn about garden design from the experts? I’m hosting a series of talks by inspiring garden designers, landscape architects, and authors a few times a year. Held in Austin, the talks are limited-attendance events that sell out quickly, so join the Garden Spark email list to be notified in advance. Simply click this link and ask to be added.

All material © 2020 by Pam Penick for Digging. Unauthorized reproduction prohibited.

The post Cactus flower jewel tones appeared first on Digging.

__Yqo0C1ZCg

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back