Can I grow these in Georgia?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

Right now I have okra, peppers, squash, zucchini, watermelon, white eggplant, tomatos, cukes, rosemary, bush bean plant...these all seem to be doing well. And I had some extra space in my garden so I decided to fill in the cracks. Besides planting some herbs I tried planting spanish onions, radishes, green beans, and beets. I was a bit concerned about the onions after what I read online and was wondering if any of these would even grow in GA's clay.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
You may have to ammend your soil a bit. Onions seem to love the georgia clay. Too issues with clay , first if it rains good like it has been it will hold too much water and will not drain and can cause your plants to rot. The other is when it dries out , it really dries out rock hard and takes forever for the water to soak back in to the roots of the plants where it is needed. The best way to correct that is to add sand and compost to the garden. Sand offers drainage and compost offers food for the plants. Hard baked clay makes the plants work very hard to put on roots as they have to push through the hard clay. Breaking the clay up with additives can only make things better. ;)

KallieLashay

No wonder..I totally forgot about that clay..Yea I try to bury whatever leftover fruits and veggies, eggshells and coffee and tea grounds I have. Thanks.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like you need to start a compost bin. You might even consider picking up bagged cut grass and leaves from the curbside. Turning them directly in and adding them to compost to use later will really help you get the leg up you need in the garden;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com