Can I still use seeds from an unripe tomato?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Stone_Family3

My lovely daughter beat me to the last tomato plant and pulled off an unripe tomato. I was wondering if the seeds in the tomato would be usable for planting next year?

Thanks in advance

th_sophiewithsquashknoxville2.jpg

Sophie with her very own gourd

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no idea, but unless someone else can shed more light on it, it would be worth saving the seeds and trying it next year. You wouldn't have to wait until they are planted. You could use moist paper towels and see if they will germinate.

Stone_Family3

I was only able to get about 4 or 5 seeds. I'll try to grow them then just stick them in the indoor greenhouse if they do germinate. Thanks for your help.

Bernie

Is it an heirloom? I have no idea if it'll germinate but I would say it's worth the effort to try. Good luck.

It’s beginning to sound like you need to fence your garden to keep that adorable child out. They are so fast at that age. She truly is adorable.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never had a varmint problem from surface varmints before, but I found a half tomato a couple of days ago. Fiona started turning the chickens loose again though and I'm pretty sure that's what enjoyed the tomato.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com