Can someone please id this tree/shrub?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Kha

Hello all-

I just joined the forum and was wondering if anyone can id this tree/shrub/bush. Early spring, this "tree" had some big white long daisy-like petal flowers all over it. It has also developed those white furry spots all over on every branch. Please help :confused:

Attachments

• IMG00200.jpg
    IMG00200.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG00345.jpg
    IMG00345.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 383
  • IMG00346.jpg
    IMG00346.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 387

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry I don't know but wanted to welcome u to the forum. I'm sure someone will come along with an answer.

Kha

Leaves look like a Japanese Magnolia.:)

:) Thank you so much! I think I know what it is now and you gave me the missing link since I had NO clue! I just googled Japanese Magnolia and looked at the images and it's not that. But I did a second search for just Magnolia and found the Star Magnolia (Magnolia stellata) and I'm pretty sure that's what it is.

In my pictures, it doesn't really show the natural growth shape of the bush because I trimmed and shaped it up earlier this year. I suppose that's ok :eek:.

It maybe infected with Powdery mildew.Just my guess someone here will know for sure.:)

Ok, that's what a lady at the local home improvement store told me earlier today when I showed her a picture of the growth. She said it was either that or some type of fungus and she recommended this 3-in-1 Fungicide Insecticide treatment by Garden Fresh ( I think). I already treated the whole thing earlier this evening and I hope it works. I'll do a search on the forum to see what I can find out about the mildew. Thanks again!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it is powdery mildew. I think it is little bugs. my rose of sharon has those things on it but they are little bugs. I have no idea what but they show up every spring. I used some insecticide on them this year and they went away.

Kha

I don't think it is powdery mildew. I think it is little bugs. my rose of sharon has those things on it but they are little bugs. I have no idea what but they show up every spring. I used some insecticide on them this year and they went away.

Interesting...did you have a lot of these little things or were they just in certain spots? Every stem of this bush/tree is covered in these. I actually used the Garden Safe Fungicide 3...not sure where I got Garden Fresh name that I mentioned earlier from. Do you remember which insecticide you used?

ETA:
Lynpenny, you are right. After reading your response, I once again did some more research and I'm pretty sure it's not powdery mildew either. I found this page: http://woodypests.cas.psu.edu/factsheets/InsectFactSheets/html/Magnolia_Scale.html and it describes my situation to a T, right down to the reason why bees and other flying insects are always hanging around it. According to the above link, it doesn't appear that the fungicide/insecticide I doused it down with yesterday evening will do any good : (

Last edited:

treeman

Not a fungus...

That is one of the wooly adelgids, which is an insect. ... a sucking insect at that. The white cottony appearing material is a waxy protective cover. You can try to wash it off with a strong stream of water. Insecticidal soap may work if applied several times over the course of a week. The first application or two would be to try to disolve the waxy covedr with the soap and make them vulnerable to a subsequent treatment. A third alternative is Imidacloprid insecticide which is a systemic that is applied to the soil for root uptake. It is sold as a Bayer product called Tree and Shrub Insec Control or some such name. Look at the active ingrediant list on the label.

Kha

Not a fungus...

That is one of the wooly adelgids, which is an insect. ... a sucking insect at that. The white cottony appearing material is a waxy protective cover. You can try to wash it off with a strong stream of water. Insecticidal soap may work if applied several times over the course of a week. The first application or two would be to try to disolve the waxy covedr with the soap and make them vulnerable to a subsequent treatment. A third alternative is Imidacloprid insecticide which is a systemic that is applied to the soil for root uptake. It is sold as a Bayer product called Tree and Shrub Insec Control or some such name. Look at the active ingrediant list on the label.

Thanks for responding! Do you think the Garden Safe product will do the trick? It's a 3-in-1 product that also contains a insecticide. It lists scale as one of the pests it will treat and recommends treating every 7 days. As far as washing them off, should I put on some rubber gloves and use a water hose to try to get most of them off and then treat?

I really like this shrub...and I don't know how long this problem has been occurring since I just bought this house about 6 months ago. I'd like to do whatever I can to save this shrub/tree.

I will check out the Bayer product this weekend.

treeman

Thanks for responding! Do you think the Garden Safe product will do the trick? It's a 3-in-1 product that also contains a insecticide. It lists scale as one of the pests it will treat and recommends treating every 7 days. As far as washing them off, should I put on some rubber gloves and use a water hose to try to get most of them off and then treat?

I really like this shrub...and I don't know how long this problem has been occurring since I just bought this house about 6 months ago. I'd like to do whatever I can to save this shrub/tree.

I will check out the Bayer product this weekend.

I'm not sure what is in the Garden Safe product, but it sounds like a good plan to me. Adelgids, behave much like scales. I would hit em with a hard stream of water from the hose then treat.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com