Canning recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

I was reading a story in my "Good Old Days" magazine and one of the stories said something about canning meat and processing it for 4 hours in a water bath canner. I know it was done in days of old, but I sure wouldn't take a chance now. My Dad and Mom would talk of preserving meat though by either sugar curing or salt curing and smoking the meats in their smokehouse. I never saw a smokehouse except a commercial smokehouse, but I have plans for one in one of my books.

Wow. Thanks, everyone, for sharing your recipes with me. I'm printing them off to take home with me today. Should be able to do some pickles in a day or two. Chow-chow will come a little later. I have a zucchini relish that someone posted on here some time back that I'm going to try as well.

Just an update. I got home last night and picked 22 cucumbers so I was able to make the bread and butter pickle recipe last night. They look great but I'll let them sit a while before taste testing. It was after midnight before I got done. Phew. too late for this working girl! Depending on how much zucchini (and time) I have tonight I'll either be trying the zucchini relish recipe or making zucchini bread.

I have taken yellow squash and made pickles, better than using cucumbers.

At least those cucumbers were fresh. Those pickles should be pretty good.

Miss Dale, I have never tried squash pickles. The Sanders side of the family here don't care much for pickles, so I don't make them any more.

I planted some seeds, but I don't know what is going to come up. I mixed my straightneck with my crookneck and planted probably 20 to 30 seeds in a hill. I'm seeing sprouts coming up now, but I will have to thin down to about three plants on that hill. So it will be a surprise to see what I actually get. I have another hill of summer squash and I think it is zucchini. Now, if I am mistaken, I will have two hills of yellow squash. I might have to actually ask someone then for a couple of zucchini. LOL I've had more trouble getting my squash plants up this year than anything else. I think it's because the soil was just too cold yet for germination. They are sure popping up now though.

Nothing like yellow summer squash. Zucchini squash are my least favorite squash.

I love the yellow squash pickles, too, but they are in a lull producing at the moment and can't get enough to pickle at one time. Zucchini is not my favorite and I never eat it like I do yellow squash. Usually I make stuffed zucchini boats with whatever I have on hand to stuff them with. I give a lot of zucchini away. However, I have a zucchini bread recipe that is out of this world. Made two loaves last night, one for home and one to share with coworkers.

I planted some yellow zucchini seeds this year also, but I'm not sure which hill I put them in and when I thin the plants, it may be one that goes away. I like all the summer squash though. Last year I tried a recipe someone posted on GH (GardenHere) and I baked some and I thought that was pretty good. My wife and I are the only ones that like summer squash here though, so a single squash plant is really enough. That doesn't keep me from planting a lot more of them though. When I am through thinning, there will be siz plants left.

I am going to make some pepper sauce with my next batch of jalapena and hot banana peppers. My ancho peppers are starting to grow so I think I will add some of those to. I need to get some bottles together.

I will look for my recipe Randy. It is simple you just boil the vinegar and pour over the bottled peppers.

I was given the recipe by Maw from GH. I don't think she gave me the quanitities, she just told me to boil the vinegar, salt and water. Wash my peppers in cold water and put in bottles and pour the hot vinegar over the peppers and store in the refrigerator.

Ok good to know it work. I will find the recipe eventually. I packed away all my recipes.

I called my mom and she said to use a small amount of water Randy as the pepper will make water and a tsp of salt and sugar and the vinegar and bring to a boil.

pickles

I've canned a few pickled veggies this week. Mostly following the Ball Blue Book of canning although there are times when I change a recipe to my liking. Thought I'd share a pic. From left to right..Bread and Butter pickles, Hot Dill Pickle spears, whole Jalopenos for pepper sauce, cut Jalopenos for the brave, and pickled squash. I also did some Dill Jalopenos that are not in the pic. I haven't tried the finished product myself but gave a jar to a friend and she said she ate the entire jar and they were good. I'll let ya know!

Attachments

• pickles.jpg
    pickles.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 326
Everything looks delicious Gloria. How do you can your jalapenas for the pepper sauce? My family loves it on our veggies. This will be my first time making my own.

You are right but we sealed jelly jars with parrafin all of my life and we never died but you are telling the truth they don't recommend it now.
I still can jam and jelly in sterile jars and they seal. I don't process them further.

We always had jams and jellies that way growing up. We never got sick either. I know they do not recommend it now

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back