Canning recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dor, I just heat the vinegar, pour over the peppers and then process in a boiling open bath for 10 minutes. Hubby tells me that I don't have to process it but to do it as you talked about earlier..to heat the vinegar and pour it over bottled peppers. But..I want jars to keep until needed so I process them in the bath to seal my jars. That way when I do 6 jars, I don't need to keep them all in the fridge and have pepper sauce year round..

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I planted about 16 Jalopeno pepper plants..they always produce good for me no matter what the weather is like..rain or shine. Wish I could say that about everything else!!! LOL

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloria my cucumbers and squash are gone with all the heat and no rain. How is your watermelon patch?

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dale, I'm still getting a few cucs..about a dozen every other day or so. I get about 6 squash every two or three days. The watermelons are not doing well and my brother accidently disced up one row!
The grass has taken over the watermelons as it was so wet when they needed weeding or the tiller to run around them. I'm afraid to venture walking thru the patch. Randy has snake boots and keeps checking. He said we have a few melons that will probably make it but we won't have any to sell. Those might be ready in a few weeks. We picked a 5 gal bucket of peas and snaps yesterday and after shelling, I froze 6 qts.
By now I would have canned a few cases of tomatoes and salsa but none this year. It's been a bad year for our gardens.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloria at least you are getting some produce from the garden. I picked a small "mess" (as we call it here in the South) of Dixie Lee peas yesterday. They were yummy. Our watermelons are doing pretty well it will be awhile before they are ready for picking. Tomatoes are doing so so, least they all didn't drown. We downsized our garden this year and not planning on canning anything but some tomatoes hopefully. Okra is yet to bloom. The first planting basically drowned and we had to replant. Time will tell.

palmettogal

Ah...my SC friends (and others). Seems we are all in the same boat figuratively speaking. I was just saying on the tomato forum how my plants are sickly, the tomatoes seem waterlogged, and what does start to turn is getting pecked to death by birds. With the heat this past week my pink-eyes have suddenly caught a gear and are blooming. I was beginning to think they weren't going to do anything at all. My zucchini and squash have dwindled in production but, like Gloria, I'm picking a dozen or so cucumbers every couple of days. This is the first year in quite a few that cucumbers on the trellis have done so well.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Palmettogal, I have 50 tomato plants growing in flats from seeds. I'm hoping to try again before the season is over. Between the bottom rot, birds and what ever else hit them, I have really lost out on tomatoes but I'm not giving up yet. It's not too late till the fat lady sings (which is me, of course!!! LOL)
I have about 7 qts of cucs in a lime bath tonight that I'll jar tomarrow as dills and maybe 6 pints of sweet pickles. This maybe my last pickles this year as one row has totally dwindled now and the second is looking down right pitiful. I'm glad your cucs are doing well.

palmettogal

Gloria, I bought some more plants last week. I haven't gotten them in the ground yet because it was too hot last week. Like you, I'm hoping to get a second chance. I'm really thinking about putting these in large barrel containers just to see what happens. That way on the really hot days I can move them out of the direct sun.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
As my scraggly tomato plants were being disced under yesterday, I found about 6 plants that had potential to live so I dug them and they are now residing in my flower bed. I actually replanted one in my compost bin!! If it doesn't live.. I won't have to remove it...LOL.
I bet we have very little rain now after the gardens are ruined.
Good idea to try containers, Pgal.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have watered my garden last two days. Only getting tomatoes, field peas and eggplant right now. It reached mid 90's here and no rain in sight for the next several days. I may plant more field peas this week. Saturday July 4th is a good planting day. I love peas, they are easy to pick and easy to prepare.

palmettogal

Funny, Gloria. My husband had the same thought about planting one in the compost to see what it would do but I passed on the suggestion! Our tomatoes will be turned under over the weekend. I pulled the green tomatoes last night and put up some chow-chow, plus saved some to fry for dinner one night. That leaves only the new plants that I still don't have in the ground yet, but plan to get that done over the weekend. We are going to make a trip to the market to see if they have any of the John's Island tomatoes and will use those for canning projects.

I love peas, too! My pinkeyes are coming on but are not ready to pick yet. I should plant more than I do. Hmmm...now that sounds like a good plan. Maybe I'll get the tomatoes pulled/turned then plant more peas where they were!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually can salsa Kim, but after lossing the tomatoes, I didn't do any this year.

richnkim

I usually can salsa Kim, but after lossing the tomatoes, I didn't do any this year.

If you don't mind me asking, do you hot water bath it or do you have to pressure cook it? And if you don't mind do you have a recipe?

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy has tons of Salsa recipes and he cans it. Not sure which way he processes it. I could look up one of his recipes to see. He would be the best to ask tho.
I'll send him this way in case he doesn't check in here often.
I sent him a pm to please stop on by

Last edited:

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kim, I do a hot water bath. Here's my recipe.
Laurie is so right, Randy has sent me some of his recipes. I think he has several salsa recipes. The one I use is very similiar to his. I don't think you can go wrong canning Salsa. It's really simple.

This is a fairly mild salsa. To make it warmer..add more jalopino pepper.

8 qts of tomatoes chopped
2 cups chopped jalopeno peppers
1 qt sweet green peppers chopped
1 qt banana pepper
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
6 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic minced
1/3rd cup lemon juice
3 cups vinegar
1 tablespoon of salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper

In a large pot add all ingredients together and bring to a boil stirring often. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Ladle into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Process in hot water bath for 15 minutes. Begin timing when the bath is in a full boiling state.

Last edited:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com