Canning recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Thanks, Gloria. I thought that was how it was processed but it has been so long. This sounds like a good recipe.

It looks good to me too. Kim, did I send you a disc in that parcel I sent down? If I didn't, obviously I should have. If I did, there is a file or folder named 'CANFREEZDEHYDR' on there. Under the sub-topic of 'Tomatoes' there will be about 30 recipes for salsa. There are notes at the bottom of the recipes and the best ones are marked with ****. There are recipes for mild salsa all the way through to unbearable. Gloria's recipe is quite similar to some of my best ones.

Anyone made pickled green tomato's?? I'm looking for the recipe for sweet and also for the hot ones. They are great on barbecued hamburgers. YUMMY!!!!

I've never pickled green tomatoes Sunflower. There's a recipe in the Ball Blue book for dilled green tomatoes but I didn't see a sweet one. I've used green tomatoes in Chow-chow.

Last edited:
It looks good to me too. Kim, did I send you a disc in that parcel I sent down? If I didn't, obviously I should have. If I did, there is a file or folder named 'CANFREEZDEHYDR' on there. Under the sub-topic of 'Tomatoes' there will be about 30 recipes for salsa. There are notes at the bottom of the recipes and the best ones are marked with ****. There are recipes for mild salsa all the way through to unbearable. Gloria's recipe is quite similar to some of my best ones.

Randy, I got the disc out that you sent me and yes the recipes are on there. I just needed my memory jogged about it. Thank you, so much! You are such a giving person and you give so much information when you give something. I just need to pick the recipe that I want to use.

Gloria has everything in her recipe that I use and in just about the same ratios. I will vary the 'heat' by using more or less hot peppers and increasing or decreasing the sweet (non-hot) peppers. There is one mild recipe in the bunch that I also use some chopped cucumber. There are no hot peppers in that one at all and that is the one the family here prefers above all the others. David though prefers a medium salsa and I like mine hot or medium-hot. The mild recipe is referred to as "Fiona's Recipe", yet it was named so because that's the one she prefers and not because she originated it. I'm glad you found the disc though. If it's a starred recipe, it has proved to be a good one. I am seeing peppers on my plants in the garden now. They are small, but they are there.

I am not going to can alot but I am so glad that I found the disc also! You never know what I might do! LOL I saw the recipe for the one with the cucumber. I think I might like that one to serve fresh on my fish tacos. I might add a little hot pepper though.

I can't wait to do some more canning. My daughter and I made 39 - 1/2 pints of plum jam, and 29 - 1/2 pints of peach jam this past week. It turned out good. I want to make some apricot pineapple jam but I haven't been able to find the apricots inexpensive enough. I found some yesterday but the man wanted $18 for a 1/2 lug.

Kim, I would like to make some peach jam and can some for peach cobbler if I could find some Elberta or Georgia peaches inexpensive enough by the bushel. We used to pick Elberta peaches in Nashville, Arkansas when I was growing up and they were so good.

My chokecherries are almost ripe and so far the birds haven't found them so it looks like I can make chokecherry jelly this year.

Dor, the peach jam is so good. We put a little cinnamon in it and it taste like peach cobbler!

Dawn, let us know how your chokecherry jelly turns out!

I don't remember if one question was answered, so I will answer just in case. Salsa is considered a high acid food and thus is processed in a water-bath canner. When you look at Gloria's recipe, you can see that vinegar is added along with some lemon juice. Those are both good things to insure adequate acidity. Tomatoes have always been considered an acidic vegetable, but hybridization has sometimes reduced the acidity to a level that it has become dangerous to can them without additional acid. It was our county extension office that warned me about insufficient acid content. You could go to a pressure canner (240 degrees) and not be concerned about that, but salsa made without the vinegar or other sufficient acid content will not keep well once opened.

Thanks for letting us know, Randy. I know that you need to have high acidity. I would think that the pressure cooker would make the salsa soft. I will make sure that I use a tried and true recipe like yours or Gloria's.

The pressuer canner is more of a hassle too, but it at least could be used if you don't have a water bath canner. But I have also used my pressure canner as a water bath canner just by leaving the weight off the top of the canner. But a water bath canner is still easier to use than that.

Anyone made pickled green tomato's?? I'm looking for the recipe for sweet and also for the hot ones. They are great on barbecued hamburgers. YUMMY!!!!

I have a recipe somewhere for "Green Tomato Pickles"---it's an old fashioned recipe and sweet. I'll try to find it and post it for you. I would imagine if you wanted some "hot" you could just replace some of the green tomatoes with hot peppers.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back