Canning Season

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

The recipe I have been using for pickled beets is a simple on too --but I like the sound of the one you have Randy. Sounds like it might have a little more kick to it.

Others may think differently, but I think canning recipes should probably be here. I had thought about a forum topic called "Preserving The Fruits of the Earth" as that would take in other methods of food preservation; freezing, drying, etc. I do a little drying but very little freezing except for temporary storage.

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! So will you start it going so we'll all have a place to post our "recipes" or whatever?:D Thanks!!!!!!:D Hope I'm not being "pushy"!

Last edited:
I found some canning jars

I just went to the Childrens thrift store here and found 3.00 worth of pint canning jars (jelly) for 25 cents a piece,,Yipee,,now i am ready for jelly season,,lol:rolleyes:,,how is that for a bargain,,they didnt have lids but I can pick them up at Fred's store for 2.00 a box,,,Cassie:)

My wife and I went by the "Big Lots" store in Aloha a week ago and they didn't have any canning jars at all. But I really should hit Value Village here pretty quick. I doubt I can get them for 25 cents though.

Couple years ago at a hardware store I purchased regular canning lids for .15 a pack. Bought al they had. Won't get that chance again for lids basically a penny a piece for a canning lid.

Some lady (Gloria) sent me a couple of boxes of canning lids about a year ago, along with a bunch of other goodies. But several of the ladies have done that with other things. I do watch for sales on the jars and lids, but are never a penny apiece.

I am so proud and I've got to share..at the sewing plant where I work.. there are only 5machine operators at this time. Well..I have talked and talked about my gardens and canning and such. Two of the ladies are now starting veggie gardens and will be canning some things this season. A first for them! They've started purchasing canning pots, jars etc. I'm so happy to have introduced these people to canning.
The plant is being extended soon..maybe I'll draw in a few more folks in time.

Randy if you can't find lids, let me know. I have a Fred's close by, lids are $1 a doz and lids & rings together are $2 a doz. I'm stocking up now, they won't last long.

I'm in good shape for lids. I probably have two or three hundred of them on hand. I just looked in the pantry. I have about 400 small lids and over 200 of the wide-mouth lids. I think that is great that those ladies are going to venture into the canning area. I get a bit concerned though when I see women that work full time and take care of their home in addition. Gardening is therapeutic though and can serve well as a stress reliever.

Last edited:
I had great intentions to can and work. Ha! I harvested 60 pounds of turnips last weekend. I was going to can tops & roots but just lost the time to do so. I started giving them away. I noticed the cukes are about 6" so it won't be long I am over run with them. But with the days getting longer maybe I'll be able to pull it off.

I am going to go get some canning supplies this weekend. I want to make some pickles and dilly beans. The strawberry stand are opening this week. I work on Friday so far this week. I have time right now, just nothing to can so far. It's still growing! LOL

At the top of this page there was an advertisement for Fillmore Container. I decided to check it out. They have some good prices on some of the containers but my concern is the shipping on glass jars. Probably not worth it to order.

Sheesh, you guys are getting me in the mood to can and I still have a few months to wait. I am going to stop by the Goodwill store when Bruce is in Germany. I was hoping that they were going to keep him home for a while, but no such luck. Oh well, at least it is spring and I can go visit all of buddies at the garden centers. I used to buy cases of jar lids...I forget where from, maybe Stokes. I remember they used to be cheaper, but such is life.

I don't think I have seen that ad, Miss Dorothy. But you are right about the shipping. It's pretty costly. Some of the people I have sent parcels to offered to send me back the jars, but it isn't worth the cost of the shipping.

I commend anyone that can work,take care of a garden and do all the canning too! I know I never had much luck with it until I retired. Just didn't seem to have enough energy at the end of the work day to do much else.:eek:
Wish I could have channeled some of the "stress & frustration" from work into digging in the dirt & pulling weeds---but was always either too tired or had too much "other" stuff to get done. Of course, for years I was dealing with the pain from degenerative artheritis in my knees which didn't help. But anyway------.
I have a question for anyone that has canned "greens"----how do you do it--and don't they get too mushy?
I love "beet greens" but have always thought they would be too mushy if I canned them.???

Last edited:
I don't think I have seen that ad, Miss Dorothy. But you are right about the shipping. It's pretty costly. Some of the people I have sent parcels to offered to send me back the jars, but it isn't worth the cost of the shipping.

The name of the company is fillmore container Randy.

Randy will you please post a recipe for Strawberry Jam. My daughter brought a flat back fro Ponchachula, Louisiana. I printed one off the internet but I would rather have one you have used.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back