Cant grow these herbs!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

Last year I planted basil, chives and parsley. I could never grow enough chives..had no real use for the parsley..but basil was my speciality!

Then I decided to grow some more herbs..like rosemary, marjoram, thyme, oregano, and dill.

I never saw the rosemary or marjoram...and the thyme and oregano was not enough. They never grew enough to where I could harvest them. I am trying again, and this time I am putting them directly in my garden around other veggies for my companion planting.

((I wanted to dry them out in mason jars but a few months ago I found the herbs from last year and they were all molded I dont know what I did wrong there))

...but anyways does anyone have any advice for me??

Hi again. I think you are saying you grew these from seed?
Rosemary is tough to start from seed, I suggest you buy a small plant to start with.
Herbs do not like to be overwatered. Often the water required for veggies is just too much for them. Have you thought about planting an herb garden in a slightly dryer spot?
When you harvest your herbs for drying, hang bunches upside down in an airy place until they are crispy dry. If you have an oven with a pilot or a dehydrator, drying is as simple as laying the herbs flat in a single layer and letting the gentle heat get them to that "crispy" stage. Do not jar them until they are completely dry. Any moisture will cause them to mold. Get them really dry and only then put them into a jar with a tight fitting lid. Good luck.

Kelli I have had chives grow and sometimes they do not. Most herbs don't like too wet or to rich of soil. I use very little fertilizer with them. mostly compost. Some will not grow from seeds easily but most will grow from plants. I am not saying wal mart doesn't have good plants but you do have to be careful about the ones you get that are not from a nursery because the employees may not take good care of them. Keep trying and let us know your results.

I started all my herbs about 10 years ago from seeds and they are doing wonderful, I love drying my own and cooking or using for tea. If I don't sell the ones I have potted I would ship them to you in exchange form the postage it will cost. I have oregano, sage, parsley, cilantro, lemon balm, mint, cho. mint onion chives, thyme, rosemary. drying them all the way is important I have a dehydrator for this. makes it so easy.

You might try not harvesting them the 1st year and maybe they will be hardier by the
2nd year?????

You mentioned you were in Georgia Red clay earlier. If you have planted these in the ground and not in pots this could be a very large part of your problem. Herbs will not do well at all in clay. If you have not tried them in pots I suggest you try that.;)

I first tried in peat pots with a heat lamp and it didnt work..they did do better when they were in pots outside in natural sun. If they dont come up in the ground I will probably go and buy some from a nursery to get a head start and put them in pots. Thanks Kya I never thought of that..and thank you so much Sunflower..I will keep trying to grow em!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back