Captains Meatloaf

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Captainobvious

For any meatloaf, I always recommend baking on a FLAT PAN. When you use a traditional meatloaf pan, the sides dont get the opportunity to get lightly crisped, or coated with a sauce like you get with a flat pan. That, and meat coming out looking like a loaf of bread is a little odd ;)
Anyway...on to the goodness. Made this last night again and it was great. A recipe I made up, but admittedly has many of the base ingredients in a standard meatloaf. The veal is a nice touch. Enjoy !

Captains Meatloaf

Meatloaf ingredients
1.25lbs ground beef (I like 90/10 to reduce fat)
1.25lbs ground veal
Half of one garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup finely chopped orange or yellow bell pepper
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
teaspoon fresh ground pepper
teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup Ketchup
2.5 cups bread crumbs

Sauce:
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar

Preheat oven to 375F.
In a mug/small bowl, mix 1/2cup ketchup and 1/4 cup brown sugar until smooth.
In a large bowl mix all ingredients (except brown sugar and 1/3 cup ketchup mixture) by hand
until well mixed together. If your mix is a bit wet (not as easy to make loaves with), then add
a bit more bread crumbs until it holds together nicely.
Form one large meatloaf about 5 inches high, or make several (between 4-6) "mini meatloafs"
on a flat pan/thick cookie sheet. Mini meatloaf sizes should be measure close to 1/2lb in weight.
For a size reference, ball them up appx the size of a softball and then shape on the pan.

Bake foil covered at 375 for 20 minutes in center of oven.
Remove foil and brush/spoon the brown sugar/ketchup sauce on the top and sides of the meatloaf.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes. (30 minutes if you made one loaf instead of mini's)
Remove from heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes. This helps solidify and lock in the juices.

Goes best with some garlic mashed potatoes and a green vegetable.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
mmmmm sounds pretty good for a meat eater. I like the suggestion of baking on a flat pan. Pardon the pun but that is a beef of many for the sides to be soggy;)

Captainobvious

heh, you've got that right. My mother always used the traditional pans. (Not that I didnt like her meatloaf, I enjoyed it for sure...in fact thats where the "sauce" comes from). But baking on the flat pan is just so much better. Plus, even the bottom gets a little bit crisp which is great. Last time she came over to our place, I made mini meatloafs and my hand smashed garlic potatoes. She was shocked :)
Apparently the only thing better than a woman that can cook is a man that can cook lol.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com