Care to guess

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

GardenBear1

would one one care to guess the name of this plant, hint it gets over 50ft tall and 45ft wide, its in the trumpet vine family, they have dark brown bean pods during late summer. this is the North American species. Mine is only 3 yrs old and about 12ft tall.OK people give it your best shot :)

HPIM1458.jpg

HPIM1457.jpg

HPIM1459.jpg

Garden Bear I'm thinking it'a a Catawba Tree and it has all those nasty worm's on it my son love's to take fishing with him.They do have beautiful flower head's and those long skinny seedpod's.:)

Catalpa

Catalpa bignonioides to be specific (pun intended). Also known as bean tree and cutpaper tree in various locales. Its true about the worms... they are favorite baits for fishing.

Catalpas are putting on a pretty impressive show in our area this year.

You guys are good it took me 3 weeks to find out what kind of tree it is.
Catalpa bignonioides is the southern species, the northern is Catalpa speciosa there all most the same, Catalpa ovata from China has yellow flowers . guess I can send the worms to all of you that fish :D:D. this tree is going to be great shade for some of my epies

We have catalpa here in the Hudson Valley too. My neice and nephew come from Minnesota every October and love to take the dried pods back with them. They get about 1 foot long.

My Dad would have Id'd this tree in a second. He believed in the Catalpa worms for fish bait. This is to the best of my memory..a large moth or butterfly will find this tree, lay eggs on the leaves and later the worms would hatch. As they grew to a good size, about 3 inches, Dad would collect them. They were yellowish and black and had this one spike on the tail end that we picked them up by (I used pliers) and put them in a container. The container was filled with water and frozen. When dad needed fish bait, a container was taken from the freezer and thawed. The worms were still alive after thawing. It was like they went into hibernation till thawed.
Here's a good link to explain the worms.

http://warnell.forestry.uga.edu/service/library/for99-026/for99-026.pdf

Last edited:
You guys are good it took me 3 weeks to find out what kind of tree it is.
Catalpa bignonioides is the southern species, the northern is Catalpa speciosa there all most the same, Catalpa ovata from China has yellow flowers . guess I can send the worms to all of you that fish :D:D. this tree is going to be great shade for some of my epies[/QUOTE
My tree never make's it to be a shade the worm's keep it trimmed as soon as it get's leaves.When I was a kid we lived by a huge pond.We had several of these tree's and the fisherman loved stopping and getting free bait.They would gather them in cricket boxes and freeze them for later use.It's amazing how they come back to life.:)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back