Carrots

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

myfedora

Does anyone grow carrots? I got carrot seed from Grow A Row for the Hungry but I have never done carrots before.:confused:

Kya D

I just put the seeds in a row as spread out as I can and they are always too close so I pull and eat small carrots to thin them. The looser the soil is the better they grow.

Kya D

You will do great...
Last year I planted some carrots that were round like radishes, those were the sweetest carrots I ever ate.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
there is nothing better than a sweet young carrot. I can't wait until mine are big enough to start thinning.lol

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My underground rodents (moles and gophers) love them too. I still manage to get enough though.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have to keep at it or they will get all of the root crops. I tried a little eradication this afternoon, but you never know if you are successful unless the mound stop appearing.

myfedora

You know I haven't seen any ground moles so far this year. Haven't see any chipmunks either. I wonder if my brown snake in the back yard got them.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
One thing I learned about carrots is that the sandier the soil the better. Also no small sticks ( no big ones either:D) , stones or other obstructions. They like it a little on the cooler side of blistering hot. Although I can grow them in summer just takes more water. I received the same seeds, planted them on Friday night. Wanna Race????

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
My soil has been amended sufficiently to where it is really good for carrots and I can plant the long ones. In the past, I leaned toward those Danvers Half-long carrots. There is a corner spot in the garden that is still clay though. It previously was a notch in that corner that was occupied by the end of some telephone poles and part of the berry patch. I'll throw stuff from the stalls in there for a couple of years and that will bring that area around.

Annette99

Oh my gosh, carrots are so easy here, I always think when I start harvesting, what a gift. Wish I could keep them for the whole year. Just thin them out to about 3 inches apart.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good advice. One year Annette, I had carrots that were at least 4" across the crown. And they acty=ually tasted good too and were not fibrous. I have had parsnips that were about 14 and 16 inches long. They are really good in soups and stews.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well you already have a head start! I'm not going to plant until Saturday.

Well it appears you may win anyway! We are having a bad noreaster with high winds and lots of rain.:( My seeds have headed north with the St. Johns river:eek: so anyone north of me with a surprise of carrots in your yard....just say thnak you;)

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com