Cheap Plant Markers

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

I was watching a gardening show this morning.He used plastic spoon,s as plant markers.He used a sharpie wrote name of plant on the rounded part of spoon then stuck handle in the soil by the plant.I used some today in my flowerbed it work's great and it's cheap enough.:)

Kya D

Great idea you can also use old mini blinds. Just cut them in the proper length and use a sharpie.

Tina

And they will fade over time. They last a little longer if you coat them. I have blank plasticware of all kinds stuck in my soil. It all had sharpie names on them at one time. I keep them there so I at least know where the plants are if they are the type to disappear during a season.

plantlover

If you have mini blinds and they break, cut the slats into smaller pieces and use those as plant markers. They work great in pots, too!

GardenBear1

I use mini blinds for name tags on all my hanging plants, I put a small hole at the top and then tie them to the hanger on the inside so they don't show,I know where to look to find them and every year I redo the tags so I can read the names. its a cheap way to make tag and you can find them for under $5.00 at tag sales,from one blind you can make 100s of name tags

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think that the bundles of sticks I buy contain 100 sticks. They are the size of popsicle sticks, but they call them craft sticks. I buy them at the Dollar Store and a bundle costs $1.

KyGal

I think that the bundles of sticks I buy contain 100 sticks. They are the size of popsicle sticks, but they call them craft sticks. I buy them at the Dollar Store and a bundle costs $1.

me to Randy :p

Bernie

I'm trying one of those new paint pens this year. They have real paint in them so they shouldn't fade.

swindy

I used paint stirrers that Home Depot and Lowe's have in buckets in their paint departments for free. I burn the name of the plants on the stick with a cheap wood burning iron that I bought from Home Depot (so I did buy something in exchange lol). They are big enough to read and they do last longer then the thinner sticks.And the writing doesn't fade.

R

RiverRock

I have just started to plant seeds in my peat pellets and was thinking abot what to do for markers. Thanks everyone for the great ideas and the DONTS also!

blessings,
RR

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used sticks and plastic things I've had them work well but this year since I only planted 3 different seeds I didn't use anything. I didn't write on the the plastic cups I planted the seeds in . after all it will only be a couple of weeks till they are up. I forgot what I planted now I will have to wait till they get bigger to see what it is. Use something and don't be a Lynn when you plant.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just use a ballpoint pen to write on the sticks and they do fade, but by that time, I have them in the ground in the garden and it doesn't really matter much. I have some other markers that are a soft copper foil with a wire frame. They are a permanent marker as a pen will emboss whatever you write on it. The copper will change color with oxidization, but the marking is permanent.

PRH

what you might like to use inplace of a sharpie,pencil or even ball point pens is if you happen to have some paint around the house and a small paint brush ( one for oil paints or model brushes ) write the name of that plant on your blinds,sticks,etc. with a pen or pencil - then cover the letters over with the paint. ( Let dry and place your tags/markers where you wish ) -- If they happen to fade,just repaint or start with a new marker using the same method as before --

- just something handy that might be of service to someone -

Last edited:

PRH

I used paint stirrers that Home Depot and Lowe's have in buckets in their paint departments for free. I burn the name of the plants on the stick with a cheap wood burning iron that I bought from Home Depot (so I did buy something in exchange lol). They are big enough to read and they do last longer then the thinner sticks.And the writing doesn't fade.

Love this idea too!:p

K

Kale

I bought a paint pen to try this year. I hope it works
I hope you are sheltering the markers.
Nearly all my markers faded.I wrote on Paint Stick stirrers, and various kinds of blinds.

Kale

K

Kale

If you have mini blinds and they break, cut the slats into smaller pieces and use those as plant markers. They work great in pots, too!
Id like to add that if you cut them straight across,to file them down a bit on your cement,I cut myself pretty good by reaching over one. I tried to cut a V with a curved center for the tops, still got cut, so I decided to just sit there and pass them over the cement a few time to ease the pain when reaching over them. There are several kinds of blinds,the ones that actually "hold " the name are the ones that hurt me *LOL .
I know... don't lean over them *LOL!!!
I try, but always end up over them when cultivating around them.

my2cents:)

Swindy! for FREE!!!!!!! I am paying 5cents for each!.......I do buy lotssssss I will find out about this.........
Thanks a bunch for this tip!!!!!!!! You are a gem!
Sure is wonderful having you around you contribute so much to our Fun Gardening Causes!!!!:)

Kale:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kya D

Kale I used these paint pens at work and I marked the snowblowers and the lawn mowers and the metal gas cans.
The lawn mowers markings are 7 years old. These are the kind of pens that they use to do touch ups on car paint.
I hope it works I'll let everyone know.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com