CHILI, anyone?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

shinekeeper

I think everyone probably has their own recipe or idea of what chili is. Mine is sweet hot and maybe you'd like to try it. I have this in my head and hope I am reasonably accurate with measurements and all.

Brown a lb. lean ground beef(or more if you want very meaty chili-I like it a little soupy) in a 2-3 quart pot. When just brown, turn the heat to medium low, add a large onion, chopped and cook til transparent. Drain fat away.

Add to pot a 14-1/2 oz. can of black beans (or kidney or any kind! if you prefer) and a bean can of water. I only use one kind of chili powder and think it is sold only regionally...0.63 oz. Buena Vida, in a paper pouch. I'm guessing there are about 2 TBS in a pouch, but not going to rip it open to see! If you can't find this brand...I guess add what you can find, as much as you might like, starting with a tsp. to be safe. Cover pot and simmer about 10 minutes, keeping liquid level over beef by adding water if needed.

Add large can of petite tomatoes, a tomato can of water, a 22 oz. bottle of catsup and a catsup bottle of water and stir well. Add a heaping TBS. of brown sugar, 1 can of beer (alcohol cooks away so don't worry and you can use 2 TBS of cider vinegar if you are), a chopped jalapeno if you love heat, and about 2 TBS Redhot sauce.

Cover, but tilt lid so steam escapes and simmer gently for about a half hour, stirring frequently to prevent scorching. Remove lid and cook 10 minutes longer...all along watching liquid level and adding water as needed.

As with anything I cook, I dip out a bit from time to time to see if it tastes good. It will taste a little different after it cools, but you should be able to see if the flavor pleases you and if you should add something.

My sons pile shredded sharp cheddar on bowls of this chili. I dip a peanut butter and honey sandwich in mine...just like we used to do in grade school.:)

ladyhawthorne

sounds pretty good to me.
I dont have a real recipe, just put in what I like. I brown 1-2 lbs hamburger with a large chopped onion and lots of pressed garlic, at least 4 or 5 large cloves. When done I drain off the fat and add in 1 can beans of any sort I have, 2 reg cans or 1 large can diced tomatoes, 1 can rotel tomatoes or a chopped jalapeno, enough water to keep it from being too thick. Then I add chili powder, whatever looks right, and a package of taco seaoning. Or you could add cumin instead. We usually eat it with buttered crackers, but it makes a great frito pie with shredded cheese on top, and sometime I make salad and pour some on top for a taco salad.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
first I like to use a large pot. I start with 3 lbs hamburger. I add a large chopped yellow onion, some chopped green pepper. I use Williams chili seasoning when the hamburger is brown. Then I add one can of chili beans and one can of black, red, or whatever beans. 2 cans of tomato sauce, and 1 can of diced tomatoes. Enough water to just cover the meat and beans. If I don't think it is hot enough or I want hot chili I start adding cayenne. I don't go for the ultra hot but I like a little kick to it. Of course anyone who lives in Texas knows beans don't belong in the chili but that is how I like it. I just tell everyone I'm a transplant.lol

prettylady

Hey Shiney..I am a chili lover....I made chili for the winter last month...cooked it in a kettle over open fire pit... Yum...nothing like it...
I like mine hot and spicy with sharp cheddar cheese and fritos..
I think after everybody ate we ended up with about 8 gallons to put in the freezer...

Peggy

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like my chili with a layer of fritos in the bottom of the bowl, chile next then a layer of shredded cheddar cheese and a little dip of sour cream to top it off. Sooo fatting but good to the last bean!

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloria that sounds so good. I usually settle for the cheese on top. but it could be better.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow Deb that sounds great. I have a version of Cincinatti Chili that was a recipe of my hubbs father. I like it because you serve it with angel hair pasta and boy is it good. I make it mild and we spice it up at the table. Some like it hot, some not!

1 to 1/12 lbs ground beef brown & drain
1 tsp chili powder
1tsp cumin
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp cloves
1tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ginger
1Tbs cinnamon
Salt

Mix all spices with ground beef. Add 2 qts of water and one small can of tomatoe paste.
Now you can add beans, (we don't) and sometime I add canned tomatoes with green chilies. depends on who is going to eat.
Also I have found that spices vary in intensity so sometimes I add more than the recipe calls for.
I have started by my herbs and spices at an herb shop in St. Augustine and they have really high quality fresh stuff. They even have the best selection of hand blended teas and spice rubs. Oh soooo good> Now see what you've done I'm hungry!:eek:

Spider_Lily

The chili sounds good.I love it when the weather is cold.Which its not here its 68 degrees going to hit mid 70's today.Maybe it will get cold before Christmas I hope so anyway.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is called 'white chili' but by the time everything gets together, it is sort of a gray/green. It is also a good way to use up some turkey leftovers as Donna S. posted elsewhere. I made some a couple of days ago and the whole family thought well of it, even the 14 year old grandson. I made a batch of cornbread to go with it. Since the rest of the family does not care for hot stuff, I left out the jalapenos or serranos. But I have some hot sauce in the refigerator called "Temporary Insanity" that can liven things up pretty fast.
• 1 lb large white beans, soaked overnight in water, drained
• 6 cups chicken broth
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 medium onions, chopped (divided)
• 1 Tbsp olive oil
• 2 4-ounce cans chopped green chilies
• 2 tsp ground cumin
• 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 4 cups diced cooked chicken
• 3 cups grated Monterey Jack cheese
• 1 jalapeno or serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
Method
1 Combine beans, chicken broth, garlic and half the onions in a large soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until beans are very soft, 3 hours or more. Add additional water (or watered-down broth), if necessary.
2 In a skillet, sauté remaining onions in oil until tender. Add chilies and seasonings and mix thoroughly. Add to bean mixture. Add chicken and continue to simmer 1 hour. Check seasoning, add jalapeno or serrano to level of desired hotness.
3 Serve topped with grated cheese. Garnish with cilantro, chopped fresh tomato, salsa, chopped scallions, and/or guacamole. Serve with fresh warmed flour tortillas or tortilla chips.
8-10 servings

nancyb

Of course anyone who lives in Texas knows beans don't belong in the chili but that is how I like it. I just tell everyone I'm a transplant.lol
Having a brother and sister in Texas, I know just what you mean. I have to keep reminding them that they are not real Texans.:D Hey, I liked Randy adding the beer.
Hugs, Nancy B.:D

woodstock

I was hoping you would post your new chili recipe Randy.....so glad that you did so others here can try it....

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nancy, that was someone else that added beer into their chili. I use some burgundy in my stew though and I think it helps the flavor immensely. I'm going to try tomorrow to make a decent pot of chili though and I think I can do it this time. I will also make a pan of cornbread. It is really funny how cornbread can evoke so much discussion in our family. It's really funny. Well, people, I have to go. It's almost lunch time and I haven't even gotten out of my PJ's yet. See you later today.

woodstock

arent we having a laid back day Randy....tee hee................getting lost in the forums, just like old times heh???

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was like that yesterday, didn't get dressed all day. I put some lounge pants on and a tshirt. Can't run around the house in my jammies......LOL I might get cold....

DizzyDaff

I've been experimenting with chili lately - tried making it using the frozen meatballs instead of ground beef - if you like lots of meat thats good, but was too heavy for me.
I also tried making a batch using pork stew meat - now THAT was good! Gave it a bit of different flavor and texture and didn't have the greasy taste you can get from even lean burger at times.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have had chili with pork in it before several times in a restaurant. It was chili verde, which means green chili. I polished off the last of the white chili I made last Friday for lunch today. There was one small serving left. I can't make stuff with too much hot stuff in it if I expect the family to eat any of it. But I added two drops of "Temporary Insanity"to that bowl today and it really put some zing into it. But using that stuff will allow me to have some heat in the chili and still allow the family to eat some without breathing fire.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made chili for dinner this evening and cornbread and a tossed salad to go with it. I thought it was pretty good. I made it mild so that the rest of the family could eat it. I added three drops of "Temporary Insanity" to my bowl and it was a drop too many. I ate it, but it was a mite hot.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have some ground turkey in the freezer, guess I'll make some chili with it this weekend

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com