CHILI, anyone?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Melissa

My agency has won the local chili cookoff two years in a row. We just have everybody that wants to participate bring in a pot of their favorite chili, then we dump it all together and call it dump chili. Unfortunately, there is no recipe and it cannot be duplicated.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bet that is good though. I will make some white chili after we attack the turkey on Christmas Day. I'm not all that fond of turkey soup and I know that is coming unless we can get all the leftovers used up.

woodstock

some interesting ideas here............if I want to kick it up a notch, I use texas gunpowder.....bought it when I was in texas.....its the greatest spice since sliced bread if you want a little or alot of heat.....I heard that texas doesnt use beans in their chili....but my mom always did, and I love the beans in it.....

Lynpenny, have you tried the texas gunpowder....??

Dor

Lyn, what is Texas Gunpowder and where can I get me some? I have never heard of it. I don't cook beans in my chili either but I am a Texan via Arkanasas 35 years worth. I know people that do and some that don't.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've heard that too, Dorothy. I think it is the purist that does not use the beans. But I don't have a problem with it either way. I know that down there, they take their chili seriously. I recently made white chili and I shared the recipe with my siblings. My brother lives in San Jose now and his response was that if it doesn't have chili powder in it, it isn't chili. My brother is quite an accomplished cook and I respect his opinion. He is the one that got me started on sourdough cooking. He set the standard for me when it comes to sourdough waffles. His waffles will literally melt in your mouth. He is my senior by 7 years, by the way. That makes him 82 now.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll ask my neighbors if they use texas gunpowder. I' not hear of it but then I don't get around very much. I will check it out. We eat things alot hotter now than when we were in kansas. It doesn't seem that hot once you get used to it.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I put beans in my chili. Made a pot today and wll make some corn bread to go with it for dinner tomorrow night

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made some sweet potato biscuits today. I saw them on television about a week ago when I was on the treadmill. I copied the recipe from the internet, but I didn't stick with it. I wanted to incorporate my sourdough starter so it is similar to what I saw on TV but also different. I like them, but I would probably stick with my regular sourdough buttermilk biscuits for normal usage. At the end of that recipe the cook (Paula Dean) mixed some butter with honey to put on the biscuits. I did that and it tasted much like I remember sorghum molasses tasting.

Attachments

• Sweet potato biscuits_0442a.JPG
    Sweet potato biscuits_0442a.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 365

deck chucker

I just made some sourdough biscuits from an old Marlboro cookbook. The Amish Friendship Bread starter I had made it way too sweet, but it was good with my venison chili I made- with beans.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
DC, you can make up another starter without any sugar in it if you like. I have done it a couple of times so I wouldn't have to lug some of my regular starter to deer camp or elk camp. Just take some dry yeast and dissolve it in some slightly warm water then mix that into a couple of cups of flour. Add water until you have the consistency you want and cover it. Keep it in a fairly warm place and it will go to work on that flour and in a day or so you will have a whole new starter. I also have some dried starter flakes that I keep in the freezer. I have mailed them to several people so they can use those to start a new starter. That one comes from an old San Francisco bakery that is long gone at this point.

Dasiemae

Having children and doing alot of parties for the organizations that I am a member of I have learned to do things quick and simple. I have a simple reciept for hot dog chili that they fell in love with.
1 lb of ground beef
1 small onion
2 tablespoons of mustared
1 can of sloppy joe's
1 teaspoon of sugar
2 table spoons of ketchup (not nessary, it does change the flavor)

Fry ground beef. chop onion to desired size. after beef is done, add all other ingredients.
I have added more beef to make thicker and less to make thinner.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dasiemae

I am sorry Randy that is suppose to be a teaspoon of sugar. It was about 2 am when I was getting very sleepy.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com