Christmas Fruit Cake

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mrs, Smallwood's Christmas Cake!
This is a Newfoundland recipe.

1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
2 cups raisins
1 cup currents
1 cup mixed peel of mixed fruit
1 cup red cherries
1 cup green cherries

1 tsp each of baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves and allspice.
(vanilla, lemon flavour) <-add these to the wet ingredients,
3 cups flour

Boil raisins and currents in 2 cups water for 5 minutes, add sugar, and butter and let cool. When cool add the 2 eggs (wisk lightly) and add fruit, mix in well!

Then add the dry ingredients gradually, mix and stir. Pour into tube pan.
Bake at 250 degrees for 3 hours, check with a wooden scewer until it comes out clean!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
What? No rum! LOL I did a favor for a local monastery several years back and they gave me a gift of a couple of small fruitcakes. They were tasty and they didn't leave out the rum.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not sure it would matter. That recipe does look like a good one though. I hear a lot of jokes about fruitcake, but I like them.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fruitcake is in the oven for the next 3 hours!!!
Should have started earlier....looks like I'll be up until 1:45am!!!;)

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I pulled out of the oven around 1:50am!
The whole house smelled so good!
Had a bit of a problem getting it to releaase from the tube pan, even after greasing the pan! And it's a teflon coated one! I should have used some parchement paper to line the pan! Next year...

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like a good recipe Ron. I plan to make several as Christmas gifts for my siblings. I made a good one for my Mom 3 years ago, kinda making one recipe from several. Unforunately I didn't write down the ingredients. I don't care much for citrus rind either and substituted several jars of Maraschino cherries(drained) instead. I was told that it was the best fruit cake I'd ever made ..wish I had the exact recipe now!!!

gonepostal

I love fruitcake--but dont like the fruit.:confused::eek:
:D I made some a few years ago w/ nuts & dates--they turned out pretty good. I guess you can put anything you want in it. A few of them I "aged" in rum---that wasn't too bad either.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The cake weighed in at 25lbs
I always add more then the recipe states and it always turns out great!
I love the cherries too so add more!
I had a cup and a half of dried blueberries so add them!
Love the mixed fruit, the citrus peels I find are too harsh, so leave them out and opt for the mixed fruit!
I finally cut the cake into 2lb pieces, wrapped them in saran and placed one each into medium sized ziplocks! They're going into the freezer until Christmas!
They will be my gifts to the family!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wow!!! A 25 pound fruit cake!! I hadn't thought about blueberries..I like that idea and have some in the freezer, will be using those too. Candied cherries and pineapples are good..just no citrus.

jbaby7162000

one time my granny used to much rum in her recipe for fruitcake,and everytime u ate a piece you would sneeze,thats what my parent told on granny,i wasnt around back then.darn it.

DizzyDaff

The cake weighed in at 25lbs
I always add more then the recipe states and it always turns out great!
I love the cherries too so add more!
I had a cup and a half of dried blueberries so add them!
Love the mixed fruit, the citrus peels I find are too harsh, so leave them out and opt for the mixed fruit!
I finally cut the cake into 2lb pieces, wrapped them in saran and placed one each into medium sized ziplocks! They're going into the freezer until Christmas!
They will be my gifts to the family!

HMMM... 2 lb blocks - a 25 lb total - bet we know what happened to that one pound left over!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Maggie

Oh my goodness that sounds so good. I love fruitcake but nobody else in my family does so I usually just buy one for myself. The last one I made all my fruit sunk to the bottom of the pan. It was still good though.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have always liked fruitcakes too. I was given a couple some years back by an abbey not far from here. They make them there and sell them. I had been called and went out to prepare a bid to replace a piece of air conditioning equipment. The caretaker explained what the equipment was doing and I told him that was a symptom of a bad electrical connection. I got into the electrical box and tightened a screw and told him to see if that fixed the problem. I got a call from him a couple of weeks later and he wanted my home address so he could send me a couple of fruitcakes. I lost a sale, but I got a couple of fruitcakes and saved the order about 5 grand.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love the fruit cakes. But like Randy , the first thing I saw missing was the Rum! Hmmm I can taste it al ready!

Maggie

I saw a recipe for a fruitcake (in an old cookbook from the'50's) where you steam the cake for 3 hours in a container of water. Then bake in the oven for at 250 F for 2 hours. I have never heard this before. Has anyone ever heard of it?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com