Christmas Stollen (Bread)

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

oma2

Christmas Stollen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is one of our favorites for Christmas.
Allow plenty of time since this recipe is an all day prroject with all the rising.

3/4 cups raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries or mixed candied fruit
1/4 cup orange juice
1 pkg.(1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (110 - 115 degrees)
3/4 cup warm milk (110 - 115 degrees)
1/2 cup butter melted
1/4 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 TBSP grated orange peel
1TBSP grated lemon peel
1 tsp. salt
5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped almonds
Confectioners' sugar

Soak raisins and fruit in orange juice; set aside. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, orange and lemon peel, salt, and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add raisin mixture and almonds. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 - 8 minutes.
Place in greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled. Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Divide in half; roll each into a 10 X7 inch oval. Brush !/2 of one long side of dough with melted butter, then fold it over to within 1- in. of the opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on a greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 -30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar.
**If you don't eat it right away, then wrap the loaves in foil and store on counter.

Yields: 2 loaves
**Note: A tsp of rum or rum extract can be added with the mixed fruit for added flavor.
I use a ped-egg to grate the zest from the orange or lemon. It works great!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Woodstock was telling me that she buys that from a German bakery that she patronizes. I'm going to have to try that one. Do you put anything like jam on it when you eat it, Oma?

oma2

Oh yes! That is my favorite way of eating it. :D My mom used to take a slice and dunk it in her coffee once it got a little staler. It doesn't last long at our house for that to happen. In fact, today I'm starting my first batch of Stollen to send to family in Michigan.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oh yes! That is my favorite way of eating it. :D My mom used to take a slice and dunk it in her coffee once it got a little staler. It doesn't last long at our house for that to happen. In fact, today I'm starting my first batch of Stollen to send to family in Michigan.

I think a loaf must have gotten mis-directed, Edda. One showed up here on my door step this afternoon. I put it on the kitchen counter and it didn't take long for the mice to find it, but I was the first one. LOL Thank you, Edda. That is really tasty.

oma2

Randy there was no mistake. Just glad you enjoyed it :) One good turn deserves another.

Merry Christmas!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't finished enjoying it yet, but it is on its way. My wife has been working on it too. She knew what it was right away.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com