cicada killer

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

mr_yan

Normally I tend to let bugs go when found in my yard. I'll kill japanese beetles, slugs, and caterpillers but I also don't tend to over do it there either. Kind of a live and let live mentality - remember how well that worked in Europe a few years into the first world war...

Anyway we had a cicada killer wasp return to the yard this year. Normally they're pretty docile and won't bother you unless provoked. In previous years I let them stay but kept an eye on them. This year is different. I have a 2 year old running around and playing in the back yard. This thing had to go. It took some patiences but I killed it by smashing it with a 10 pound tamper I used for my patio.

Have any of you ever seen one of these guys. They're a north American native solitary wasp about the size of your little finger. They bite a cicada to paralyze it, lay they're egg in it and bury it for the larva to eat later. When they're carrying the paralyzed cicada in they're about the insect equivalent of a 747 carrying the space shuttle. I've also read they have a sting that feels like you've been stabbed by a large knife.

I should CAREFULLY dig it back out of my trash to photograph.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like your signature line where you have calculated your cost for the year. I never thought of doing that before. I may do that for my fall season.

I have seen cicada killers. We have them here as well.They are scary. A picture would be cool though ;)

Harleygrandma

Normally I tend to let bugs go when found in my yard. I'll kill japanese beetles, slugs, and caterpillers but I also don't tend to over do it there either. Kind of a live and let live mentality - remember how well that worked in Europe a few years into the first world war...

Anyway we had a cicada killer wasp return to the yard this year. Normally they're pretty docile and won't bother you unless provoked. In previous years I let them stay but kept an eye on them. This year is different. I have a 2 year old running around and playing in the back yard. This thing had to go. It took some patiences but I killed it by smashing it with a 10 pound tamper I used for my patio.

Have any of you ever seen one of these guys. They're a north American native solitary wasp about the size of your little finger. They bite a cicada to paralyze it, lay they're egg in it and bury it for the larva to eat later. When they're carrying the paralyzed cicada in they're about the insect equivalent of a 747 carrying the space shuttle. I've also read they have a sting that feels like you've been stabbed by a large knife.

I should CAREFULLY dig it back out of my trash to photograph.
I am in Central Florida and was stung by on of these wasps. Swelled up and yes, it felt like I had been stabbed with a hit knife. I started paying attention to the wasps in the yard and was shocked to see one of them carrying a cicada. The wasp landed on the lawn tractor I was sitting on, I guess to rest a bit. It was amazing to see this little thing flying with such a load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com