Recipe Classic Coconut Macaroons

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

L

Laney

Classic Coconut Macaroons

Perfectly classic Coconut Macroons with a drizzle of chocolate are the perfect treat to make for your family. Just wait until you take that first bite, and the second and third…

Hi, Oh Sweet Basil friends! I’m Laney and I post over at Life is But a Dish. I create easy, approachable recipes for the everyday home cook and I love empowering home cooks to use what they have on hand to make food they’re proud of. I’m also Jewish, so a lot of my recipes line up with that calendar of holidays! I love hosting and celebrating with the people I love.

Coconut-Macaroons-5-570x854.jpg

I grew up celebrating Jewish holidays and traditions but didn’t really know a lot of the meaning and symbolism behind it all. Once I got married and had my own family, I knew I wanted to give them (and myself!) a foundation of understanding for these holidays. I’ve really been learning about the history of my Jewish culture alongside my two little girls and it’s been so much fun!

Coconut-Macaroons-6-570x854.jpg

The Story of Passover

The story of Passover is all about a journey from slavery to freedom.

In ancient Egypt, Pharoah enslaved the Jewish people. Moses, their leader, went to Pharoah and warned him that God was unhappy with his behavior. Moses told Pharoah that plagues would come if he didn’t free the Jews. Sure enough, water turned to blood, frogs came, wild animals ran in and out of homes, hail fell, locusts ate all their food…basically, insanity! Each time a plague appeared Pharoah would promise to free the Jews, but each time he went back on his word, a new plague appeared. Finally, Pharoah ordered the Jews to leave Egypt. They frantically packed their belongings (they didn’t even have time to let their bread rise!) and fled.

Moses led them out of Egypt until they reached a sea too wide to swim across. With Pharoah’s army at their back, they were desperate…and then, the miracle of the parting of the Red Sea!

They crossed the sea safely on foot before the water crashed back in on the pursuing army.

Coconut-Macaroons-3-570x854.jpg

What is Passover

Passover is all about that journey from Egypt long ago.

We read a short book and eat from the Seder plate, which has 6 symbolic foods. The Passover meal is filled with symbolism and little intricacies related to everything we eat and do.

Coconut-Macaroons-570x854.jpg

What’s on a Seder plate?

• Charoset – represents the clay and mud bricks the Jews used as a part of their labor in Egypt
  • Bitter herbs – to remind us of the bitterness of the slavery the Jews endured
  • Shank bone – represents sacrifices made by the Jewish people
  • Hard boiled egg – to represent spring and the circle of life
  • Parsley – dipped in salt water this represents the tears of the Jews enslaved in Egypt
  • Lettuce – Another bitter herb which symbolized the pain of the Jews

Coconut-Macaroons-2-570x854.jpg

I’ve been hosting Passover dinners for almost a DECADE now. That’s crazy! We usually have 25-30 people in our home, mostly made up of my husband Zach’s family who live near us in California (my family is all back east). It’s become a beautiful tradition and something I really look forward to every year. It’s also a LOT of work! That’s why I appreciate a menu item that’s low-stress while looking impressive. Enter Coconut Macaroons!

Coconut-Macaroons-4-570x854.jpg

Traditional Passover Dessert

Coconut Macaroons are a super traditional Passover dessert since they contain no flour.

For 8 days during Passover we abstain from foods with leavening (yeast or flour) as a reminder of the ancient Jew’s exodus out of Egypt. Coconut Macaroons are my favorite way to honor that tradition. They’re also made with pantry staples! Hooray!

Coconut-Macaroons-7-570x854.jpg

More Passover Recipes

Coconut-Macaroons-8-570x854.jpg

Thank you for having me here to share a little more about my favorite springtime tradition and one of my favorite desserts! Enjoy!

Coconut-Macaroons-9-570x854.jpg

Coconut-Macaroons-8-500x500.jpg

Print

Coconut Macaroons

This flour-free recipe from Laney at Life is But a Dish is a delicious, easy, and impressive dessert that's perfect for Passover (but we make it year round!)
Ingredients

• 6 egg whites
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 teaspoons vanilla
  • 4 cups coconut unsweetened & shredded
  • 1 cup chocolate chips semi-sweet
Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
  • In a large bowl, separate the egg whites from yolks and discard yolks. This is easiest done using COLD eggs. They will separate easier this way! Add in the sugar, salt, and vanilla and whisk until well combined. Add the coconut and mix until coconut is well coated with the mixture egg white mixture.
  • Drop mixture by 1 heaping tablespoon mounds onto prepared baking sheets and shape into pyramids. Bake for 20 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips either in a double boiler, or in 30 second increments in the microwave, stirring frequently until melted. If you need to thin out the chocolate, add a splash of warmed milk or cream until you reach desired consistency. Using a spoon, drizzle chocolate over fully cooled macaroons. Store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or covered at room temp for 3 days.

Classic-Coconut-Macaroons-ohsweetbasil.com_.jpg

READ: Classic Coconut Macaroons

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back