cleaning the soil

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

amylynnd

I have 2 cats that have taken advance of my garden planter boxes & used it as their cat box. I have heard that cat skat carries lots of diseases so I was wondering besides getting the actual skkat out do I need to sanitize the soil? & if so how?? thanks

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thats a good question Amy but unforunately I don't have cats or an answer but I'm sure someone will be along soon that may have some input.
Glad to have you join our site and look forward to seeing you here often.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
As long as you do not eat the soil ;) there is no need to do anything but remove the scat!
Placing some kind of screening would prevent the cats from using it again!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cat urine is very strong and can kill plants. As Ron says only the scat needs to be removed , however if you smell urine water it down to avoid harming plants. Urine is used by many as a fertilizer but it cannot be used straight. Just a good watering in will take care of the urine;)

Blueaussi

Cats don't really carry lots of diseases. If the cats are well cared for neighbor cats, there's probably nothing to worry about unless you're pregnant or suffering from some form of immune deficiency. . Cats can asymptomatically carry the parasite that causes toxoplasmois. Most people have been exposed, had it, and never knew it. Only if you're pregnant or immunocompromised is it a problem. (You can also get it from eating rare venison, but I don't know if you can get it from deer poop.)

Hmmm, a quick google says that you can get toxoplasmosis from beef, pork, or lamb, too.

GPM

With all the respect of doing the above aforementioned, the soil will be fine with some dilution. Animals have high alkaline urine and has salts too. Notice those doggie spots on the lawn ? A good neutralizer is Gypsum Pellets and has some micro-nutrients as well. A 40 pound bag is about $3.99 at Menards in the summer time and will last you quite a while if used in small amounts. The soil will act as your septic tank does and drain field with trillions of micro organisms breaking down the nitrogen of urine and solids too, it's just a matter of time.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com