Coconut Cream Pies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

richnkim

I use 2 different recipes for Coconut Cream Pie. The first is the recipe using packaged coconut. The 2nd one is one that my mom found when I was about 4 years old, and it uses fresh coconut. It is different but I love it.

Coconut Creme Pie[/B

1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup heavy cream
2 eggs
2 Tblsp. margarine
1 cup sugar
4 Tblsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups coconut (I toast mine)
1 baked pie shell

Whisk together the milk, heavy cream, and the eggs. Combine the sugar, and cornstarch, in a microwave safe boil. Whisk the milk mixture into the sugar mixture, mix well. Microwave on high power, for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes, until the mixture is a pudding consistency. Remove and add margarine, vanilla, almond extract, and coconut. Pour into baked pie shell. Cover with wax paper, to keep the top soft. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or until chilled through and set. Top with fresh whipped cream.

Whipped Cream

Put your glass or metal bowl in the refrigerator with the beaters from your mixer, to chill. When you are ready for your whipped cream, take out, add 1 pint of heavy cream to the bowl. Beat the cream on a medium speed until frothy. Add 1/4 cup powdered sugar to the cream, and beat on high speed until almost stiff. Add 1 tsp. vanilla and beat until stiff. Don't overbeat or you will have butter.

Fresh Coconut Cream Pie

You have to cook the coconut first: Take a fresh coconut, drill holes in the eyes of the coconut to drain the coconut milk out of it. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put the drained coconut in the middle of your oven. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and wrap it in a towel. Crack it open with a hammer. Some of the meat will fall out but some may stay in the shell. Remove any brown skin that sticks to the coconut meat. Grate the coconut. It is now ready to use in your pies. It will store in the refrigerator for 3 days and then you need to freeze it. I put it in freezer bags and can keep it for 2 months.

Now for the pie.

1 envelope of unflavored gelatin
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tblsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs (seperated)
2 Tblsp. margarine
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. almond extract
1 1/2 cups grated fresh coconut
1 baked pie shell

Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup of the milk. Blend sugar, cornstarch, and salt together in a sauce pan. Gradually stir in the remaining milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks slightly, and temper with a little bit of the hot milk mixture. Beat the egg mixture into the rest of the milk mixture. Return to heat and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and blend in the softened gelatin mixture, margarine, vanilla, and almond extract. Set aside to cool. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold the egg whites into the custard mixture along with the coconut. Pour into a baked pie shell, cover with wax paper and refrigerate until chilled; at least 1 hour. Just before serving top with whipped cream.

This recipe does not have a lot of sugar but it is good. It brings back so many memeories! I loved to break open the coconut when my mom baked them. :D

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Coconut cream pie is my all time favorite. Those both look like great recipes.

richnkim

Come on down, Latebloomer! I am in the pie making mood!

We had dinner with some friends last night and we got to talking about pies and she said she has some oranges. Then she said I wonder if you could make a Orange Meringue Pie. She gave me some oranges and I got to looking around and I think I am going to make a version of one I found. I just finished the crust and I'm working on the filling soon. I called her and told her that it was a challenge! LOL

richnkim

I am. I'm not a fan of meringue on top of pie. I am also going to make it layered with a cream cheese layer. I will see how it turns out tonight!

Bernie

Kim all three sound wonderful. I love coconut cream pie but coconut turnovers are my favorite. I'll have to dig up that recipe.
That orangecile pie sounds yummy. You'll have to post your recipe.

BTW you can put the coconut in the microwave for about 5 minuets to get the meat away from the shell. Just be sure to drill those holes first or it will explode.

richnkim

Oh, yes Bernie, please post!

I did make the orangesicle pie. It was good but I think I want to twick it some more. Not quit enough orange for me. I will play with it. I just love to play with pie recipes!! I made up a recipe for chocolate peppermint creamcheese pie at Christmas!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com