Coffee Filters

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

SandiB

1. Cover bowls or dishes when cooking in the microwave.Coffee filters make excellent covers
2. Clean windows and mirrors. Coffee filters are lint-free so they'll leave windows sparkling.
3. Protect China. . Separate your good dishes by putting a coffee filter between each dish.
4. Protect a cast-iron skillet. Place a coffee filter in the skillet to absorb moisture and prevent rust.
5.Weigh chopped foods. Place chopped ingredients in a coffee filter on a kitchen scale.
6.Hold tacos. Coffee filters make convenient wrappers for messy foods.
7*.Stop the soil from leaking out of a plant pot. Line a plant pot with a coffee filter to prevent the soil from going thro drainage holes.
8.Put a few in a plate and put your fried bacon, French fries, chicken fingers, etc on them. Soaks out all the grease.
9. GREAT TO USE IN YOUR COFFEE MAKERS!!:)

richnkim

Great tips! The preschool teacher in me says the make really neat butterflies! Dip them in food coloring and put a pipe cleaner on them around the middle.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also if you put a drop of food coloring on each side and let it set for a few minutes it gives the butterfly some color.

I'm glad you mentioned coffee too.

swindy

SandiB I love your uses for coffee filters. I do the window washing and I put them in potted plants to keep the soil from draining out. This year I did large pots that I filled the bottom with styrofoam for drainage and to not have to use so much dirt in, after putting the styro in the bottom of the pot I layered a few coffee filters on top of the styro before I added the soil to keep the soil from mixing in with the styro and to keep the roots from growing down into the styrofoam. I got a package of 1000 filters from Sams club for a couple of bucks, about $4. so I could use them for other then the coffee pot and not feel guilty about waisting them.
Thanks for the other uses of them I will have to try the plate, cast iron and micro wave hints.

SandiB

I use styrofoam peanuts also in big pots Swindy..makes it lighter to move.

I have a small coffee pot now (4 cup) so use my larger left-over filters for all the extra uses. I agree ya can't beat the price!

The butterflies sound FUN & pretty.

#7 is my favorite too Kya. And #9 w/LateBloomers powdered donuts :)

latebloomer

Mums:

Fold coffee filter in half,fold in half again....and again....one more time so you are holding the pointy end with thumb and forefingers. Cut 1/4 inch fringe about halfway through the top (non pointy side). Wrap pointy end with tape or wire and fluff fringe out to form mum.
If you color the filter before making the mum (food color,pastels or even chalk) two or three of these make a nice package decoration instead of buying an expensive bow!

Bernie

Years ago my neighbor tossed out a huge pack of filters when he moved, I’ve been using them in my flower pots ever since. I think I still have a few hundred left out in the shed.

My kitchen is so small I have to stack everything like those Russian nesting dolls. We use the little ones for coffee but I got pack of the big filters and put between anything that needs to be protected especially my non-stick skillets. I've never heard about that taco tip. It will be great for my grandson. Thanks!

Check this out. This gal really makes some neat works of art out of used coffee filters.
http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/coffee-filter-kimonos/index.html

Bernie

I saw her on the Carol Duval show years ago. She said she would get all her friends and family to save their filters for her and she would ask for them from every place she went that served coffee. Sure takes a lot of work.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com