Come and Grow A Rose With Me

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sassmuffin

If you want my 2 cents, I am much happier with my roses from heirloom than from J&P. I like the own root roses better, and they seem to respond to medical help better, if they need it at all. Plus the Selection... and for 25$ you could get a mini in the deal too....

K

Kale

Sassmuffin, Thank you. I have an Heirloom catalog a friend sent to me.I love the roses in there too.:)
I have one Heirloom and it is not black spot resistant which was rather bothersome. I still love it but seems like it didn't perform well last year. Started out as grade 1 in 2006.
It is still young, I have to keep an eye on it this year.The sunflowers may have shaded it out more then I was willing to admit.Just didn't have the heart to pull them out early in the season the birds love those sunflowers..I will try not to grow them there!

OK Thank you..Heirloom catalog is what I will read tonight.
now, before my eyes fall out*lol

Kale:D

Melissa

Lovely Fairy Shrub Rose

If I had to recommend an easy rose, it would be the Lovely Fairy Shrub Rose. She grows about three feet high and three feet wide. I do nothing to her...don't even water her....and she is in constant bloom from late spring to heavy frost. I love how the branches are just drenched with all those little mini roses. She does have a frangrance but its not real strong.
LovelyFairyShrubRose4-1.jpg
LovelyFairyShrubRose6-1.jpg

Sashweezy

Oh, she's beautiful, SM. I just love her colour. I'll have to google and see if she'll grow in my area. My list is getting longer.

Melissa

Sash, she is hardy to zone 4. I am thinking of getting a few more myself. I have seen a couple different colors in the fairy roses at the nursery but bypassed them for the teas and grandiflora. I also have a rugosa rose which requires very little care. I don't have any of the David Austin english roses but am hoping to try a couple of them this coming year.

K

Kale

Check out the link (below) I posted in English Gardens,you will see a few of the Fairies I tend there.
They are however extreeemely thorny!

http://www.gardenforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83

I do have one I bought in 2007 @ 75% off! When I saw her I wasn't going to buy it because it was so NOT ME..Then it struck me ...:D it is my daughter so sweet and pretty and proper and doesn't give any trouble*LOL And I was correct.the rose if beautiful and a good girl with thorns that can kill a deer*LOL But so loveable!

All that I tend have Constant bloom, stems up to 4feet so far. (The garden was this past season so they are babies also) Staking is advisable for a pretty effect.:D

Enjoy the link and watch the mini show*LOL

Kale:)

K

Kale

Help!
I am still trying to decide who to buy! I may end up at Aldis or Lowes or Wal*Mart and buy too many of the cheaper ones*LOL My veggie beds are dwindling*LOL
I think I would like a tree form,if it would grow here in Zone 5 Mi. short warm season.
I think I want a tri color (like Double Delight or Pinata) wild and crazy blooms like a Hybrid tea.Scented.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking the next rose I want should be a David Austin or old english one. I rather think they are cool roses. I've had some before but not in several years since I moved from my house to an apartment.

Melissa

Yes, I agree.....Kale....you should check out the David Austin....I know...they aren't teas...lol! What do you think of the Sterling Silver? Or the Full Sail? I think it would be cool to have a rose that smelled of honeysuckle. I know what my next rose will be....but you already have that one. I really like the Chicago Peace also. Mine was killed a couple years ago in the ice storm, so I gotta get another one. I am seriously thinking of getting a bunch of the cheap ones this year....that way if they die over winter I won't be out $30 a plant. I am hoping not to lose any in my new garden that is better protected from the horrible wind. Let us know what your thinking.

Dor

I want to replace my Joseph's Coat and Gypsy roses this year and would really love to get a Double Delight.

Melissa

Kale, the double delight people should give you a kick back...looks like their sales are going to be really high this year...lol!!

K

Kale

Lynpenny, will it be containered I have or in the ground?
*SmellyMelly,
I have a David Austin handbook of roses 2008 Edition. I have Fair Bianca.
I had Noble Antony. I may however have a cutting I took last year when I first bought him, not sure if he is the one I lost .Someone sorta mixed the covers and the name was on it.
I might have been hasty but was highly disappointed in his attitude. His stems didn’t look good and his blooms were not doing well. His leaves had black spot and I expected so much more out of him being he was an costly “English Rose” My friend claimed they were so wonderful so I bought him. I didn’t so I drove him back to where he came from.
I think of the “Costly Roses” as a well trained dog. You call and they come on a dime you water and it drinks you give it food and it eats, well Noble Antony didn’t respond to my love and affection, time and care that is why he went back *LOL
I probably should have considered him a puppy and stuck it out but I envisioned
so much more from him. I read the first year this and the first year don’t expect much *lol but..they are a few years old already and should know what to do when they are snug in their own new bed *lol And in a few years your guarantee will expire and you will be out 30.00 wasn’t going to take that chance.
I know I am harsh on them. I think it may have been a bad call. Maybe he needed time. I do not know. I traded him for Love Struck (claims to be floribunda) (English Style rose) which wasn’t pleasing to my eyes this year. Will see what next year brings.
David Austin Roses are indeed beautiful. One could never say otherwise.
They put on a wonderful show when they are happy. I think the Hybrid Teas must have appealed to Antony and told him “show off your blooms and we will be compost next year”.*lol
He had compassion and didn’t *lol
I thing I am leaning towards the Grandifloras and Floribundas I do know the polyanthus are gorgeous but they just aren’t me either. Not now, maybe I’m still a child in my affections, I just get so much out of the challenge from the Hybrid Teas. I can tell when they are not happy and when they are feeling stress .And when they are happy they brighten even a horrible day. When I see and smell a bloom I get revived. It is like when a child catches on to how to read the hands of a clock after hard labor of constant play and encouragement they finally know it is 15mins after the hour AND…45minute until the next*LOL

Dor, why would you want to compost Josephs Coat? I have one but he was in bad shape when I bought him, He did give me several pretty blooms but not like I had thought. I gave him mercy due to the hard life he had. He better perform next year *lol
He was said to look like Pinata, he didn’t, a few of his blooms were nearly single, that is not what I expected. but he may come around once we get to know each other *LOL
OH MY! I just looked up Gypsy! Chrysler Imperial is an absolutely gorgeous boy!
I have thought about him for 7 years! I just bought him last March, was thrilled to no end, may even skipped a beat ( *lol) when I laid eyes on that label. He was a wonderful sweetheart! I am ever so pleased! I admire Swim and Weeks!

Name: Gypsy
Class: Hybrid Tea Rose (Modern Large Flowered)
Hybridizer/Date: Herbert C. Swim and O.L.Weeks, USA 1972
Parentage: ((Happiness x Chrysler Imperial) x el Capitan) x Comanche
Fragrance: Mild spicy
ARS Color: Orange Red (Bright scarlet red)
Awards: All America Rose Selection 1973
Happiness, I do not know…wonder if that was bred with Peace hummm…

SmellyMelly, :D *LOL
Double Delight is a Star this year!
Gotta give Swim a hand! AARS winner1977!
I love those old roses even thought they aren’t considered old… yet *lol

I was looking at About Face and EBB Tide but I do not know (breeder) Curruth.
I have Intrigue, didn’t thrill me yet, I hope it comes along .I did get a few blooms but very short lived, may need more sun, not certain yet. Didn’t look too well when I bought it. Not sure until another season passes.
Here Is Joseph's Coat.Cute little boy..:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Dor

Lyn, I don't want to compost Joseph's Coat I want to get another one and another Gypsy. I lost both of mine and I loved them so much. They were beautiful but I sprayed some brush killer In the area they were planted and I think the wind took over and some of the spray got on them and they never recovered.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got dirt again. I think I want to put the David Austin rose on the south side of the house where it will get full sun. there are so many areas of the yard that don't get full sun that I have to be careful where I put things. I am trying to get more roses here for me. But if they don't get full sun then they don't grow well. I have 2 that don't that were here when I moved in and they are very spindley.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
my brother planted a joseph's coat when we were in high school. It was a beautiful plant. It grew and looked nice every year. I always remembered him when I saw it. It grew at my parents house from 1965 to 1996. Then we sold the house after my Mother passed. the first thing the new owners did was rip out all of the flowers.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com