Come and Grow A Rose With Me

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

Dor, glad you want to get another JCoat I wouldn't mind a Gyspy!
Stay
Away from
Sprays!

lynpenny, there are roses that will do good in less sun. I do not know their names but I have read about it.

Thank you veg!
He is handsome, but not what I expected.A little soft for a boy*lol
It was his first year:) Hopefully he will grow more firmer petals *LOL

my brother planted a joseph's coat when we were in high school. It was a beautiful plant. It grew and looked nice every year. I always remembered him when I saw it. It grew at my parents house from 1965 to 1996. Then we sold the house after my Mother passed. the first thing the new owners did was rip out all of the flowers.
Why did you have to tell me the ending of that story ..I just said a bad word:(
That was tremendously sad... too bad you didn't know and took it.
1965! I thought it was registered in 69..You would know better then me:D
I was just a toddler*lol
Oh BTW I have a phone number that may go directly to the place that grew my last batch of roses (over 29) Once I get my list together I will give them a call.
They are in Texas. I just love those roses from Texas even the yellows*lol
(the pest callers*lol)

Kale:)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kale we moved in the house in 1965 but it could have been a year or so later that we planted them. I know it was before June of 1966 cause he passed then. I was thinking he saw them bloom. but hey I can always remember how pretty they were.

K

Kale

Kale we moved in the house in 1965 but it could have been a year or so later that we planted them. I know it was before June of 1966 cause he passed then. I was thinking he saw them bloom. but hey I can always remember how pretty they were.
Dont fret:) I trust you over something I read ...You never know what people are writing,sometimes they just say things just to say something*LOL Or just misinformed.. :eek:

Here's a shot of Chrysler Imperial.So pleased to find this fella! AngelFace is next to him.My little movie star,always putting on a show*lol

Last edited by a moderator:

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had an angel face that I got instead of what I really ordered. That is one beautiful rose. I adored mine. take good care of it.

Dor

Thanks Kale, I have learned my lesson about using sprays. The only ones I use now to spray is fertilizer in my house in spray. I have had Round up for a couple of summer and it is still unopened.

I need to prune my Tiffany(It is still blooming), Peach Rose (don't know the name) and Altissimo. The Altissimo and Peach are really leggy and I want to try to root the cuttings by planting next to the mother like my mom told me to do. How o you all root cuttings fom your prized roses?

Melissa

OH....does that just kill ya Lyn? The same thing happened with out last house. I took very little because I wanted it to look nice for the new owners....then they dug everything up. That was of course after they didn't tend anything and it was looking hideous. Should have stipulated in the contract that I would only sell to a gardener. It really broke my heart....I can't stand to even go by there.

K

Kale

Dor ,Yes I try cuttings from several roses.AngelFace and Tropicana and a few others root really well even if I forget to really check on them for a few days.
Others,something goes wrong.

SMelly,
A neighbor once told me I could not sell my house with all the plants and that I would have to pull them all and put grass seed. I stated over my dead body, I would sell only to a GARDENER AS A Gardeners' Delight! I would give plant layout sheets of every bed and care sheets for every plant and rose.
I have all the logs I will need.I am thinking I would either take most of my roses or make cutting ahead of time and make certain they root or state in the agreement I can have cuttings..*LOL Something like that *LOL Maybe give a few hours of care help.
I have heard several sad stories about people ripping plants out,Not knowing Lawn can be more of a chore then many many perennials.Most of my per. do their own thing nearly by their self.
Put it this way SmellyMelly,Yes, it can be heart wrenching...but ... It is their loss,they will not receive the joy you had working with the plants and seeing the blooms express themselves with joy as the sun shines upon their faces.Maybe give a good cry and move on,sad but....It may only bring you closer to the plants you now have in your care.Forget those bla blas. Maybe they didn't know how to care for them so they tore them out.May just lazy or just too busy..Better for the plants to be compost then struggling for their lives.
Hopefully those people don't have a dog.

You have your memories...Sorry,and yes,sad.

Did you ask?
My curiosity would have stopped and asked.

Kale

Melissa

Kale
No, I was too angry to stop and ask....I might of ended up in jail...LOL!!
That Angel Face is stunning....my list is getting longer and longer....

Dor
I am so envious. You still have roses blooming!! I love my snow but so miss my roses.

DizzyDaff

Just purchased

I purchased Double Delight and Tropicana, so they should arrive around April or May I guess. I don't have alot of roses (yet! LOL!), but do like them.
Any advice for prepping for their arrival and immediate care once they are in the ground? :confused:

Dor

I purchased Double Delight and Tropicana, so they should arrive around April or May I guess. I don't have alot of roses (yet! LOL!), but do like them.
Any advice for prepping for their arrival and immediate care once they are in the ground? :confused:

Where did you purchase your Double Delight and Tropicana from Dizzy? I saw them both at Michigan Bulb for $9.99. gha Double Delight at Michigan for $9.99 and at Antique Rose Emporium all roses are $18.95. I can drive there and purchase them if I want to take a couple hours road trip.

K

Kale

How I Plant All My Roses

DizzyDaff, I get paper and pen and timer (I use my cell phone alarm) And put the rose in water saving all the mulch that came with it along with he bag. I write on a piece of paper the name and time I submerged it.I put that under the container so if cant have a chance to fly away.(Everything so far takes place in the shade !**don’t want the water to heat up or the root to be exposed to the sun!)
I then dig a whole 18inches (at least ) across by up to 24inches below, depending on the soil down there I may go further down if clay is showing its face.
As you remove the soil a wheel barrow will be helpful or a large tarp, I separate the soils the top layers the mid and the very bottom (which may be clay after the sand).
I then fill the whole with water to check the drainage, they say it should all be gone within an hour, So I do that then if it is within an hour I will do it again it should be about 25 minutes, If not I scoop more soil out may just go wider to 24'' if I have the room if not I go deeper, clearing out the sides of soil.
Once I have gotten the drainage to move at the 30 minute speed I then start adding my compost. I make a mound I trim any rose roots (and some of canes if needed ) that seem to need a trim I set the rose into the soil and water extremely slowllllyyy.
I then add more compost or maybe the soil from the mid mark(sand in my case usually) water again slowly. You want the soil to surround the roots as they grew naturally you do not put the roots where you want them, they do not like to be bend into your plans. You will see, just make that mound and drape the roots about if one or two are too long a trim here and there will be fine just do not chop away!
Add the remaining soil or compost if you have clay a tad will not harm but retain moisture
Get the whole nearly full, supporting the rose upright with care, I place my roses too deep then as the slow run of water is surrounding the roots; I gently pull the rose upward to get the rose secure within the soil. Add a few bananas peel and coffee rinds
and the mulch that came with the rose I mix it a bit softly.
I turn the water off for a little make certain the rose is leveled and the next new growth is facing me, most stems last about 2-3years maybe only one so once the season starts moving I will have her prettiest side showing off. Water once more and mulch with compost. Some say bury the knuckle I usually do not here in MI I just cover come winter.
Not sure what you would do. The location should be 6hours of sun; with mid day shade of any kind so around 2-4pm shade should be relieving the roses. Sun again after that point may be fine depending on your sun rays, here it is fine in zone 5(b?).
That's the story. I have succeeded in planting every rose this way that is in the ground.
Give it time, do not cut it if it is a climber, just trellis it with flexible green tomato sturdy stretch ties. if you need to see what they look like the 4th one on the left;
http://clearwaterlandscapes.com/products.php?openparent=149&pid=

You may get blooms on the smaller stems and constant growth on the others you may see many many buds and no blooms, do not get discouraged like I did .Do not cut (unless you have a pest damaging along your stem. You will need to cut if that is the case. just above the next outward facing bud .If you see black spot coming about http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-617/450-617.html

remove all leaves with even a sign of it, don't fret it will produce more leaves.(even bloom with not leaves!) You may want to keep a coffee can with lid next to you. Do not touch clean leaves with the same hand or glove that you removed the leaves with. Discard all leaves. Check the undersides for camouflage worms! Once you see them you will have a good eye to spot them, they are really good hiders. check the edges of your leaves, if they are chewed search every leaf, they are probably hiding ...
This may seem like more work then you are willing to do, but it will be worth the effort, you will be blessed with happy blooming roses.
Oh now to find a place for the clay that is hardening GRRRRRRRRRR
I'm guessing that an inch on top ½ way around the rose may work as a moisture retainer. Just water where the clay isn’t.
And…never ever ever water your leaves and spraying the aphids to the ground sounds easy but the little friends will bring them right back up so I sorta sqoosh them with my gloves on very carefully, don’t want to hurt or pull the buds off…

Kale

DizzyDaff

Great directions!

Kale, thank you for the BEST and simplest directions I have ever seen re: roses! This I can follow! :p

I love roses, but don't have alot of experience growing them, so this will really help. Am copying & pasting to my hard drive!

K

Kale

You are QUITE welcomed!

Hummm......In thinking too fast I didn't address the time your rose can sit in the water...at least 1hour up to 3days and it would be fine here in the shade in zone 5 (b).

I actually sat 3 rose bushes infested with every pest& disease in a large storage container in water and bleach for 3 days,I did a 1/2 water change over with water from indoors a little warmer then that freezing cold spout outside.
I did not use Clorox!! (can't, it rips my skin into cuts and gives me a headache that will last up to 3days) I used no name 1$store bran and diluted it much.My 3 roses did excellently! Had giant bore holes and all! One has yellow blooms I think is Sunsprite, the next I am yet to id (for certain as one can) and the last didn't bloom yet but is budding up I was told he was Don Juan I will see soon! Spring is on its way!!! (*lol)

Enjoy..

Melissa

Wow, those are some wonderful directions, Kale!! I am doing my first raised rose bed this year. Should I be doing anything special with them since the bed is going to be raised or just do it the same. Where I want to put the bed, we have underground phone and electric wires so can't dig down. The only problem I see with it is if we have a problem and they have to bring up the cables....there goes my raised bed. Let's just pray that doesn't happen. My hubby is building it using the landscape timbers. It will be about 36 inches high and about 16 feet by 14 feet. I plant on filling it with top soil, compost, sand, and manure. I will also throw in some coffee grounds....been saving them for about a year and some banana peels....will make a few banana cream pies for work. Do you see any problems with my plans....if you do...please share!!

DizzyDaff

MIBulb

both at Michigan Bulb for $9.99. Double Delight at Michigan for $9.99

That's where I got them Dor - some folks don't like MI, but I've found them to be easy to work with and they do honor their word - hey, they have a Lifetime Guarantee! Might take the plants a year or two to get big, but I've got time. MIBulb sends me some great offers online & by mail. :)
These are the 2 I ordered from them -
Double Delight & Tropicana

They also have a great deal on mini-roses too if anyone is interested in getting started with them.

And if you sign up with MI, they generally send you a $20 off $40 or $25 off $50 coupon at least each quarter.
The only down side to them is they don't charge your card until they ship, but if you order on paper and pay with a check they have to go ahead & take it out.

Dor

That's where I got them Dor - some folks don't like MI, but I've found them to be easy to work with and they do honor their word - hey, they have a Lifetime Guarantee! Might take the plants a year or two to get big, but I've got time. MIBulb sends me some great offers online & by mail. :)
These are the 2 I ordered from them -
Double Delight & Tropicana

They also have a great deal on mini-roses too if anyone is interested in getting started with them.

And if you sign up with MI, they generally send you a $20 off $40 or $25 off $50 coupon at least each quarter.
The only down side to them is they don't charge your card until they ship, but if you order on paper and pay with a check they have to go ahead & take it out.

Thanks Dizzy, I saw the sale at MIB. I have had great luck with my plants and bulbs from them also. I received my couple and catalog. I will be ordering soon. All the plants I bought last year did well except my Crazy Daisy Shasta Daisies. They all died. I guess I can call them but I threw the dead plants away.

K

Kale

SmellyMelly...
Read last night, I have a reply,worked on it and will post later probably after 3.
Have a few important issues to tend.

Melissa

Thanks Kale, I was talking to hubby about this and he said he would rather build the thing around the buried cables so...its hard to tell what I am going to end up with. To be continued...I guess.

K

Kale

HOWDY ...

Smelly Melly, about your raised beds...I'm back *LOL for a few....Here is what I came up with. I had a similar issue. I have ground copper wire placed through a part of the garden to my garage. I just simply made raised beds. Only I didn't have to raise too much because I had not put roses there just simple perennials and annuals a few herbs. I only raised it about 6".

Now you are talking about $$ for the soil you plan on getting to fill that bed!
I had received 7 yards of mulch in Dec of last year. I only needed about 1/2 yard to a yard. for the back raised beds. It was free yeah...a whole truck full before I knew it I was mulched out I did however have a 100foot long driveway that I container gardened on. So...I make raised beds out of it. The little gallery I put together will show you what I did The frames on top and wood chips were free for the asking or taking.
I over bought roses and had no idea what veggies were going to be history then a brilliant (I like to think it way *LOL) Idea hit me...Use the driveway with the MESS of wood chips I had. So that is what I did.
Now.... I was thinking that if you had a way of getting free wood chips (depending on the kind of wood you would get; that grows in your neck of the woods *lol) (trees that were cut down for no sickness reason)) you can raise your beds pretty high for next to nothing. Also will not have to weed for a few years maybe even several because you only have soil in the area in which the roses live.
If you can get the chips DROPPED at the site you would be set life would be grant! It would save you tons of work!
I had to move all 7yards within a few days time... it is a tended /hand destroyer, I had to separate the different tree kinds too and pull out the stumps, which I used for other designs so that worked out grand...
If you have a driveway that you do not drive on. and you get good sun hours, well look at what I did!

http://gregnmary.gotdns.com/drv8/index.html

It sure was a job but you would be ahead of me if you had then dropped there.
Just pull the chips away to make a whole for the roses!*LOL
Add soil add rose add soil water well *LOL Done!

Now as far as Tropicana, here is one of mine..
My climber bloomed the forst year and had 4 larger stems that just budded..I was about 7feet tall with constant new growth and buds,not one came to produce.I cut them down to about 4feet, I didn't want to have them snap from the winds.the lower stems (2or 3) bloomed 3 times (if I recall correctly)

I cant wait until SPRING!

Enjoy!
Any questions.shoot away!

Last edited by a moderator:

Melissa

What a brilliant idea!! And you know what....we have a ton of wood and my uncle bought my hubbie a chipper for christmas...it was actually for both of us, new toy for him and unlimited free mulch for me. Hubby does road construction and is laid off all winter so he goes around and cuts trees down for free fire wood. He just really enjoys using a chainsaw and chopping wood. It helps keep him in shape during the winter. He has more people wanting him to cut up trees that have been damaged from storms than he has time to work on them. I guess I will have to start helping him and then tell him where to point the chipper!! Happy Happy Joy Joy!! Thank you for the wonderful idea!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com