common sage, garden sage help

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

hello everyone, i found a plant that look so much like common sage and i almost ate it; however, when i smelled grounded cooking sage, i noticed it smelled completely different than the plant i was about to eat...the sage i found had green color on top of the leaf and a whitish color on the bottom...also, the whole plant seemed fuzzy
even the flowers...is this sage? i also noticed the stalk was cylindrical, i think i saw somewhere someone said sage stalk was squarish.....can you guys please help me with this identification...unfortunately i have no ppictures but i am trying my best to describe the plant...

the only thing of significance was that in the pictures i see online, the plant is in full bloom...the plant i found has very young flowers that havent opened yet, but i can bet my grandmothers dentures that this plant is sage by every look of it...the smell is completely off though when i compare it to the seasoning...

do you guys know any look alikes

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is a wild sage that grows in Florida that I know very well, however I do not want to pass an ok on something I have not personally seen. I suggest taking it to your local Ag office. They will be able to identify it correctly and tell you if it is safe to use for an herb;)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are lots of sages and cousins to sage. I have several in my herb garden. Not all sages smell alike as my pineapple sage does have a pineapple scent. I have some that are really fussy but could not id yours without a picture. Some are edible and some are not. sages and salvia are close cousins and look similar.

can you guys post pictures of your common sage please

can you guys please post pics of your sage...most notably the top and bottom of a leaf...and also maybe the stem...thanks

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I has gotten way to hot for the wild sage here but when fall comes I will see if I can remember to get you a pic of it wild. I just grows beside the road like crazy.

Found it!!!

ok you guys, i found out which type of sage i saw...i also saw it in front of home deppot....its salvia leucantha or mexican bush sage

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com