Compost Tea?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Stone_Family3

So I'm planning a big tomato bed next year and want to try compost tea. Aside from a couple of youtube vids and a few articles I've read I don't know much else and would like some opinions.

How much better did your plants do?
Did you use it on tomatoes?
Do you dilute it or just use it straight from the 5 gallon bucket?
Anyone make more than five gallons?
How often do you use it?
Can you use it everyday?
Most recipies say Water/Compost/Liquid Seaweed/Fish emalsion/and Bio activator do I need anything else ingrideint wise?

Thanks for answering my questions. Sorry there are so many.

Blueaussi

You know, if you're adding fish emulsion and kelp, what's the point of the compost?

I've seen a lot of discussions on this subject on other forums, and there is always an element of snake oil to the discussions that makes me uncomfortable. I mean, if you're using compost, why do you need to add bioactovators? You can probably accomplish much the same thing by throwing some worm compost in the planting hole and side dressing with a bit of manure.

Sorry, I don't mean to rain on your parade, I'm just very skeptical that it's as magical as most folks seem to present it as.

Stone_Family3

I heard that spraying it on you're plants helps with the prevention of disease and pests. That is why I am so interested in it. Also I've seen some videos of those who use it compared to those who have not and it looks pretty convicing. That is why I am asking for opinions because I want to know if others have actually used it or not and what their resaults were. Thanks for the info though.

Blueaussi

Yeah, I've seen that spraying stuff, too. You do understand that the mechanical action of spraying with anything, even just water, knocks a lot of insects off, don't you?

There's no research on the subject that's been published in a peer-reviewed journal, and the only folks I trust to be somewhat objective say they saw no benefit to spraying. Don't say that around the True Believers, though. Objective data makes them furious.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
this is all I do to feed my garden...compost tea...just compost and water ...steep for a few days coverd with cheese cloth...I feed my plants about every three to four weeks ...at the base of the plants...

I use a 5 gallon bucket to shovles of compost in the buket and add water...
I have wonderful veggies every year and more than I can eat ...can...and share

when worried about disease and pests...well deal with them as they may or may not come up...there are many organic things you can mix to help ...hot pepper spray for bugs...milk for powdery mildew and so on...my granny always said ..."If it anin't broke done fix it"...hope this helps you a bit

Last edited:

myfedora

Well I compost but only what I get from around the house. Coffee grounds, banana Peels, other veggie scraps. I get manure about every 2 years and spread over the whole garden and till it under couple weeks before I plant. I don't buy anything special just to put around my plants. I don't really have a bug or diease problem. I live in Ohio I don't know if that makes a difference. Oh and I planted by the moon this year too. Everything was great!

Blueaussi

this is all I do to feed my garden...compost tea...just compost and water ...steep for a few days coverd with cheese cloth...I feed my plants about every three to four weeks ...at the base of the plants...
<...>

This is what I was always taught was compost tea, but I'm seeing people who are making more complex brews with additives they buy from companies who insist your compost tea needs special bacteria and fungi or it won't work. And they put aquarium filter bubblers in the tea while it's sitting because they insist that anaerobic bacteria and fungi that grow in unaerated compost tea are bad for your plants.

And they get really mad when you question it.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
This is what I was always taught was compost tea, but I'm seeing people who are making more complex brews with additives they buy from companies who insist your compost tea needs special bacteria and fungi or it won't work. And they put aquarium filter bubblers in the tea while it's sitting because they insist that anaerobic bacteria and fungi that grow in unaerated compost tea are bad for your plants.

And they get really mad when you question it.

Well then they will have to get mad at us both then won't they :)...

I am sure they may get something good from all that added stuff...but I really find it is a waste ...Organic and basic really is the best..or at least for me..

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
MyFedora..I would love to hear more about planting by the moon.

there is a great calendar that is put out every year...will have to get the link when I have more time...also the farmers Alma...has good source information

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
This year was a bad year due to weather. But in the past my tomatoe have done great with compost tea and compost tea spray. The spray helps keep wilt down and it really works well. I sware by compost in any form!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just go by the calendar, but even that can be a bit uncertain. We have long, cool, and wet springs and that sure does raise cane with tomato planting.

Blueaussi

I go by soil temperature and weather predictions. Planting by the moon is a nice little superstition, but it has no effect on plant growth.

Yeah, yeah, I know, next I'll be saying there is no Santa Claus. Mean old Blue and mean old science.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Yes, as I said in my first post on page one... ...I do, that is all I use ...as well as CrabberGirl...it is really the best stuff

Last edited:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
so pretty much no one uses compost tea?

I guess you missed my post above.
Yes I do. It has great benefits to preventing disease as well as being a fertilizer.

I just put about a gollon of compost in a five gallon bucket and then fill with water. Let it sit several days. Strain if you want to allpy it as a spray for leaves and fruit. Or just dip from the bucket if you want to use arouns the base of the plants.

K

Kale

Howdy compost users!
I use compost tea! I use compost in several ways I make my own. One way is:
I simply place 6 to 8 inches of home made compost in 5 gallon buckets that have many tiny holes on the bottom, I fill it very fast with rainwater and let it drip into the plants living grounds as needed.I also place some in my 32 gallon rain barrel and use a pump to 'spray my leaves of the veggies and 3-4 times per season on my roses.
I beg to differ with anyone that hasn't taken the time to actually do it and log the results after a complete season. Now if your compost is homemade turned on a dedicated schedule and that has correct ratio of browns and greens then you will indeed get excellent results.
Once one understand the actual structure of a leaf, say on a tomato plant one would have to agree that it takes in nutrients from the leaves. therefore feeding them will give positive results. Blueaussi, I thought you knew this information.Compost can be placed in the exact hole the veggie will go in or on the side or on top, it will keep pest away if your eco system isnt running smoothy yet (immature) that is what I did for years until my system came togather took about 4 complete seasons (the 5th was great) to get every one living a happily.Everyone has their home and places to dine and I welcome everyone aphids and all!
Now there is a more work system like what cheese cloth method, I have too much to water to go that route but it sure does work.Used it for my potted plants of all kinds.
I have a friend that doesn't want to take the time out to do her homework and thinks if you just trow leaves and grass in a pile in a corner of your lot because you dont want to bag it it is valid to say it is compost.*LOL no it is a pile of leaves and grass that were put out of the way .She is the one that walks around her yard with a 5gallon pump of some sort spraying all her plants to death,nearly killed me with that horrifying spray.When she wants to see nature she comes to my house.:)
She has the talents and understanding of a great balanced garden she just wont go organic and make a "real" compost pile.That is fine it is her gardens.Very beautiful selection at that.
Now as far as Fish emulsion and kelp powder, I used both this year I had 4 new beds and temps were delaying and thought it would help.I agree it helps it will also draw in some extra flies for the praying mantis.
I have a few roses that need more of a boost and gave them a tiny doseage.I woldnt use it every watrin glike I do compost for veggies but I do see a nice bloom time and didn't get black spot on well over 50 roses when I sprayed them with kelp.
I used that spray thingy you screw onto your hose for "lawn " only I didn't use chemical and there was never a chemical in it. As far as bio activators I found them to be totally useless.If you have foods and greens and browns then you are fine turn on a schedule that is beneficial for the pile and you are good to go.
No oils or fats or meat of any kind.

Kale:D

K

Kale

MyFedora..I would love to hear more about planting by the moon.
Yes indeed! I did it by the moon by accident and saw great results,still after many years I'm still interested in moon planting ..Actually,it can't hurt you are planting anyway why not try on certain days?
I found those planted by the moon had deeper root systems tomatoes and eggplants couldn't be pulled out with using all my might! Once harvest was over and we were cleaning the beds out; I had to cheer my daughter as she tried to pull them out after much cheeringing they finally came out she was floored by the result ,she is always there for harvest and clean up.
I do believe there is much to be said about the moon and gravity and how it plays a very important part in our lives s well as plant life.
So that being said, I will meet you at the "Moon" thread I just found Mainegal
started and I lost track of...
http://www.gardenforums.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=39427

Kale:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com