Cookies

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I typed this on the weather thread/forum and when I got to the end, I figured it should go on the recipe forum. The 'monster cookie' recipe is the one I make when I take cookies to the fire station.

I don't make chocolate chip cookies because Fiona does them so well. I make four other kinds though that Fiona doesn't make. My all-time favorite is snickerdoodles, but I rarely make them. I make oatmeal raisin cookies the most. I make a double batch every time and if the grandkids are all here at home, they last about 24 hours. I usually eat one. I found a sugar cookie recipe in "Good Old Days" magazine called "Grandma's Sugar Cookies" and they disappear quickly also. The last recipe I use is called "Monster Cookies" and I picked that one up from Paula Dien on the food network.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Per your previous post that started this....LOL! I cheated and bought the Nestles pre made dough and you know what they now have them stuffed with chocolate OMG it's all I can do to wait till the weekend to bake them. I almost ate the dough last night. ( too lazy to bake them afterwork;) )

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have never tried eating cookie dough, but several in our family do so. LOL Since Fiona makes chocolate chip cookies though, I have no need to bake them. She doesn't bake the kinds I make either. When my wife makes cookies, it is usually a two-day project. She makes Germam cookies and they are more labor intensive. But man, are they good!

Scarez

and the sugar cookies somewhere sir?

and the oatmeal raisin cookies somewhere, sir?

(why am I hungry?) lol

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have posted "Nussegoepfel" somewhere in the past. Those are the ones that take the most time and my wife usually will make that an opportunity to rope the grandkids into helping so they learn of the family tradition. The origin of that cookie goes back to the 1200's when the Turks laid siege to Vienna. The Poles with the help of some Teutonic knights marched against the Turks and broke the siege. The cookie and its crescent shape has its origin in the celebration after the breaking of that siege.

The "Snickerdoodle" recipe is one that we got in a cookie jar as a wedding gift. There were three kinds of cookies and that was one of them. I don't remember what the other two kinds were as I was not nearly as impressed as I was with the Snickerdoodle. But I do have that recipe card and I can post that one. I just have to get my wife to loan me the card for a few minutes. I think I already have the sugar cookie recipe typed, but if not, it is in my recipe box.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Grandma’s Sugar Cookies
April 2008
1 cup softened butter
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 large egg (at room temperature)
2-1/2 to 3 cups flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together until well blended. Add egg and vanilla mixing well. Sift together flour, baking soda, and salt to creamed mixture, blending well. Chill dough until it feels firm. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll heaping teaspoons of dough into balls. Roll balls in sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Using the flat bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, press each ball into a round cookie. Bake for 10 or 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Note 1: The recipe calls for adding the vanilla after the dry ingredients. That resulted in the vanilla not being distributed well through the dough. Adding with the egg should insure a good mix.
Note 2: A double batch was made and the chilling process was skipped. It didn’t seem to bother the results.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Randy
I'm going to try the sugar cookies
My great grammie used to make sugar cookies that were yummy and i've tried many recipes and can't find one like she made
they were thick and yummy

Bluewolf

my favorite cookie is Oatmeal Chocolate chip (soft)

When I used to run a paper route in Michigan I had two customers that made them for me...On My Birthday,Christmas time, And Valentines day
So I ate them everyday for 3 months!!!

I need to get around to making them again one of these days :rolleyes:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron there's no oatmeal in her chocolate chip cookies. I asked her yesterday about the recipe and she isn't ready to let me have it yet. She said she wants to publish it first, then she will give it to me. But I'm not sure I will ever see it under those conditions. She told me that she got the recipe from my mother and then she made some changes. I have no idea what they might be though. Her intent is to see that my deceased mother is given credit for the recipe so I can't really fault her motive, but I also know that my daughter may never get around to doing anything with it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
OATMEAL RAISIN COOKIES

1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter (softened)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 cup raisins
3 cups Quaker Oats (uncooked)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat together margarine (butter) and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. I sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl then add to the liquids. Stir in oats and raisins; mix well. Drop by rounded tablespoonsful onto ungreased cookie sheet. I found that a steel cookie sheet works better than aluminum. The cookies spread out further on aluminum. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool 1 minute on the cookie sheet then remove to wire rack to finish cooling. Recipe makes about 4 dozen.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you Randy!
I can substitute the raisins with chocolate chips!
I use parchment paper so it's easy to remove the baked cookies off the baking pan!

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's a good idea. I use the parchment paper for something too, but I can't remember what for right now.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
That Good Navy Chow

Crumb Cookies

Yield: Approximately 15 pounds
Portion: 2 cookies

Flour, 4 pounds (approximately 1 gallon)
Baking powder, 1-1/2 ounces (approximately ¼ cup)
Soda, 1 ounce (approximately 2 tablespoons)
Salt, 1 ounce (approximately 2 tablespoons)
Ginger, ½ ounce (approximately 2 tablespoons)
Cinnamon, 1 ounce (approximately ¼ cup)
Cloves, ¼ ounce (approximately 1 tablespoon)
Cake crumbs, 1 pound, 8 ounces (approximately ¾ quart)
Shortening, 1 pound, 8 ounces (1-1/2 pints)
Eggs, whole 1 pound (approximately 10 {1 pint})
Sugar, brown 1 pound, 8 ounces (approximately 4-1/2 cups)
Water, 12 ounces (approximately 1-1/2 cups)
Sugar, 2 pounds (1 quart)

1: Place all the ingredients into a mixing bowl. Mix at medium speed to a smooth dough.
2: Drop dough by teaspoonful on greased baking sheet.
3: Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
4: Remove cookies while warm from pan.

Note: 1.4 ounces powdered eggs and 12 ounces (1-1/2 cups) water may be used in place of 1 pound eggs.

Source: The Cookbook of the United States Navy, Revised 1944

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now what am I going to do with 15 lbs of cookies. LOL! That sounds a lot like my moms recipe for what she called molasses krinkels. Almost like a ginger snap but she added molasses. Really good especially hot from the oven.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Invite the grandkids for an extended stay. LOL That's really why I posted it, because it is supposed to feed 100 sailors at 2 cookies per. My son-in-law David is a baker by trade and he bakes for CostCo. He doesn't cook at home though, but I understand why. If I cooked for 8 plus hours a day five days a week, I wouldn't care to cook at home either. But between the three of us that do, there is quite a variety that comes out of it. That recipe above though is the sort that David deals with on a daily basis.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com