Coping With Life's Changes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a few days left here before next semester starts so I am doing nothing. I have read textbooks, and an assortment of other books on this break. I was planning to paint the kitchen cabinets but not going to now. My hubby is building me new bookshelves that I need so that is all the work going on around here. I hope to get out and weed the flower beds before I go back but it is too chilly for me right now.

curbhopper

My dear friend is going through some life changes b/c his Mum has to have constant care in her home or someone else's home. He is so torn about it. You are correct, Randy. All we can do is count on life changing. Curbie

Maggie

Buford went for his swallow test yesterday and he was able to swallow a sip of water. It was hard for him and he had to keep trying until he could get a little bit down. When the radiologist tried him on the thicker liquid he couldn't get it down all the way and he had to cough really hard several times to get it back up. We could watch how far it went down on the monitor. She went through some exercise with him to do at home and he has to sip water several times a day and swallow it. His throat where the trach. was removed is healing good.
We have had a really hard time getting his food delivered. The only thing that saved him from going without was the osmo-lite that the Dr. had taken him off of while he was in the hospital. I had 2 1/2 cases of it left and so the dietician told me to give that to him until they could get it straighten out. When Apria finally overnighted some they sent the wrong kind (it was for diabetics) and I was told not to give it to him because it would hurt him. It took 10 days to get the right kind. I was so upset all through the the holidays. He has to have 10 containers a day and I feel so much better knowing he has enough to do for awhile now.

smiley_face2

Oh Nanci I know just what you are going through. I am in the same boat. Knowing what the problem is does no good for us I am afraid. It is still a juggling act with medications, what you can and can't live with. hugs to you!

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maggie,
I feel for you and Burford!
It'll be little steps for a while and eventually he will be up and running again!!!
I know it's hard but it will get easier in time!
Keep at it, we're here for you!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maggie,
My prayers are still with you guys and the progress you are going through. It sounds as though Buford is making positive progress, if not for the food issues. You would think people pulling orders for something so important would pay closer attention to what they ship out. Hugs to you for all your caregiving.

Curbie,
Prayers for your friend. caregiving is a tough job.

Janet,
Thank you. You too my friend. It is hard for those who have not been thorugh it to understand how unsetteling it is. Evryday is a new adventure :rolleyes: I just thouht quitting work and taking care of Tim would be a bonus. Just kidding I am so gratful I can.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lets face it was are all aging now. I know I can't do what I did 5 years ago but I can sure try to do it. My husband is fighting depression but is doing pretty good right now but he has a project to do. He has to finish my bookshelves so he can get in the garage to put together his new toy. I got him a drill press for Christmas. Today we should be putting the bookshelves together. all of the sanding and routing is done and I stained them yesterday. Now we put them together and varnish them and I can use them. I will get my stuff out of the garage and hubby can have it back.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lynn,
Ahhhh, yes the garage. Their sanctuaries. I have a honey do list of small things for TIm. Nothing big and nothing more than an hour or so. I think it helps to have constructive and rewarding things for them to do. Fix a couple bifold doors, finish a few little trim projects and such. There is so much landscaping to do but that has NEVER interested him. LOL I have plants popped out of the ground everywhere. Some days he doesn't even want to fish.

Wombat

No garage here so no sanctuary lol...just carports so there's no where to hide!;) At my place there is always something to do and if I can't see it, my much better half can! I just tackle one task at a time now instead of about 6 at once as I used to. We have BIL and partner coming to stay for a few days so every job now has a sense of urgency attached to it as things must be "just right" prior to their arrival. :D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe I should invite you to visit John, then there would be a sense of urgency here LOL! Slowing down in life is not so bad ...... it means no new unfinished projects because you don't want to start them. I am pecking away at things, i have a rekindled rule, if I pick it up , I will either finish it, give it away or throw it away.
as we get older we find we can do with less.The old less is more saying really makes sense.

Maggie

Buford went to the Dr. yesterday and he was amazed at how well he is healing and getting around. He wants him to work on swallowing with water and by the end of the week he wants him to introduce other liquids like soups and when he can do that ok then thicker foods like yogurts and custards and cream potatoes. I will be so glad when he can start eating soft foods. Then learn to chew and swallow again. I'm hoping by spring he will be able to talk again at least some where he can be understood by the family. He refuses to see anyone outside of the family and he won't see them very often.
Bufords Dr. wants him to go see the radiation Dr. to see if he needs any radiation and if he can do it if needed. He goes monday.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maggie, That is good news considering where you guys have come from. I do understand Buford's feelings about visitors. My prayers will be with you guys especially on Monday.

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maggie so glad to hear that Buford is making some improvement. I know it is hard but everyday is a little better. Hang in there dear. Will remember to pray for you on Mon.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Activity in our household ( well Tim's anyway) has come to a standstill. Jan 18 we have an appoinment with S.H.I.N.E. it is a local orgainzation designed to assit you with Medicare options. This will be our first experience with Medicare and I am unaware what to expect for preimums on the "Parts" we need to add. But the sooner the better so we can get back to the Dr. Let's hope by the time our appt. rolls around there is still such a thing as medicare :rolleyes: Wonder how long it takes to get enrolled and begin using your benefits? Anyone know?

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't really help you with that as my hubby has VA first and then medicare. I know he is on medicare and has used it a couple of times but that is all I know. He has it for when he can't get to the VA or needs a second opinion.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maggie, so glad Buford is making improvements. Praying it continues....

Nancie praying everything goes well with Tim and Medicare and finds out what is wrong.
Can't wait to see you guys in June!! Counting down the days, haven't heard yet on the vac request.....

woodstock

continued prayers for tim and buford.......glad maislyn is getting better each day......thats such a blessing......

prayers for laurie and freckles.......its hard to loose a beloved fur baby......and my heart breaks for you....because Ive been thru it several times.......laurie, take one day at a time....and grieve until your heart starts to mend, but never forget those wonderful memories you had.......that is the blessing of loving a pet.......that unconditional love they give us......

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everyone.
Lyn,
I know with VA it is very differnet. Maybe I will learn something I can share if we still have Medicare by the time Tim is enrolled ....:rolleyes:

Maisyn is 100% finally. Now to keep her that way ;)

Laurie,
Just let me know if we need to change dates, we are pretty flexiable right now. We have a misson trip to Montana in the first week of June to build a church, if Tim is well enough. Here's praying anyway ;)

woodstock

great news about buford and maislyn..........
that misson trip to montana sounds like a fun thing to do crabber.....

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com