Corn bread cake

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Bernie

CORN BREAD CAKE
Preheat oven 350
3 Cups Bisquick
1 ½ C Sugar
2/3 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
¼ Tsp. Baking Soda
¼ Tsp. Baking Powder
5 Eggs beaten
1/ ½ C Butter or margarine soften
1 ¼ C Milk

Combine eggs, milk and butter. Beat
Pour liquid ingredients into dry, mix just enough so everything is wet.
Pour into 9” X 13” pan. Bake 30 min. or until golden brown.
That was the original recipe given to me. I use low fat milk and margarine and cut the sugar back to 1 cup.
Leftovers freeze well. I like to make this into muffins. I use liners so it holds together better and doesn’t dry out as fast when frozen. The original recipe does not have a time for muffins I am at a higher elevation so it takes quite a while for me.

Bernie

Randy it's supposed to be called corn bread but the texture is so much like cake that I call it cake. Besides since my family wont eat traditional corn bread that's how I get them to eat it. :D Can;t have bean soup without it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smart move, Bernie. I blindside some of the family here too. They don't like mushrooms. But I sneak in a can of mushroom soup into a casserole that they all love. One of these days they are going to get it figured out and it remains to be seen if they quit eating the casserole they said they liked.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
My friend blends up all the veggie in her spaghetti sauce as the kids won't eat them if they see them in the sauce. . She does it alot in dishes, they are eating the veggies but just don't know it....

Bernie

I don't care for mushrooms but they don’t really bother me mixed in a dish. My DH loves them but doesn't eat onions so he passes me his onions and I pass him my mushrooms. Mushroom soup makes the best gravy for any number of dishes. Yummy!

I have two granddaughters I swear were adopted because neither of them will eat veggies unlike everyone else in the family. I put carrots and celery in everything and if they are coming for dinner I mash them so they don't see them.
When they were little they loved my roast beef hash but would sit there and pick out every bit of the carrots and celery. It drove me nuts so I told them if they picked out one more thing I was never making it for them again. They still love my hash.
On the other hand I have a grandson who loves his veggies so much we have to make him eat his meat before he is allowed to have any. If we didn’t do that that would be all he would eat and not get his proteins. If we have a veggie platter and dip we have to hide it from him or no one else would get a taste of it.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I accuse one of my granddaughters of being switched at the hospital because she doesn't like blueberries. When I make bluebery pancakes, I make four pancakes before I add the blueberries to the batter so she will have some without.

Dor

My two oldest grandsons do not like veggies very much. The oldest likes lots of beans and rice, and some greans but his younger brother is so picky when it comes to food. If it is something he doesn't like he will not eat at all. They were raised in my house when they were toddlers so this had to start after they left my house. They use to eat brocolli, greans, beans every veggies I would cook, now it is a different story. My middle two grands love fruits and veggies but that is how my daughter started them off. If we go out to eat, my 8 year old grandson always wants a salad. His 3 year old sister always asks me for grapes, oranges, bananas, and apples when they come over every week. She likes milk and orange juice too. Tyler and Mya doesn't care for lots of sweets. All four of them likes ice cream and Kameron the 9 year old has a sweet tooth out of this world.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I didn't remember you having a Mya too. Our Mya is a contraction for Mychal, named for her uncle Michael. Mychal in the Old Testament was the wife of David.

Dor

Yes we have a Mya, Randy. She is my first granddaughter. I think my daughter just liked the name.

Dor

The oldest grandson above Kenneth, Jr.vreally likes my sweet potato pie. When he was a toddler just starting to walk he couldn't see the table but I would wake in the morning and his little finger prints would be all in my pie. He could eat 1/4 of a pie just reaching up and putting it in his mouth. When we went to my ex-husbands funeral 1 1/2 years ago, they had sweet potato at the Repast. He said in a loud voice "this doesn't taste like my grannys".

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It may not have been diplomatic, but I bet that made you feel good. I don't remember ever eating anything my grandmothers cooked. But we didn't live close to them either. I never did sit down at either of their houses and have a meal. My mother and father actually made a covenant together that they would be the grandparents to our kids, and my siblings, that us kids never had. And my folks did a grand job of living up to that promise. My kids and all their cousins have very fond memories of gathering at my folks place. We have that kind of place here now. It is a great place for large gatherings and especially during the dry months. Our King apple tree in the back yard is probably about 65 to 75 years old and has a very large canopy providing much shade for a group.

Bernie

My mother's mother was a maid and lived in her employer's home. She wasn't allowed to have us in the house. We had to sit in the yard when we visited her. She lived with us for years before she died but by then was to ill to cook. Thankfully Grandma's (Dad's Mom)house was the place to gather for our family when I was growing up. I have the most wonderful memories of that. We have a very small house but we gather family here every chance we get. We move the furniture and make room for everyone. There is nothing more fun then visiting over food.

Dor

It may not have been diplomatic, but I bet that made you feel good. I don't remember ever eating anything my grandmothers cooked. But we didn't live close to them either. I never did sit down at either of their houses and have a meal. My mother and father actually made a covenant together that they would be the grandparents to our kids, and my siblings, that us kids never had. And my folks did a grand job of living up to that promise. My kids and all their cousins have very fond memories of gathering at my folks place. We have that kind of place here now. It is a great place for large gatherings and especially during the dry months. Our King apple tree in the back yard is probably about 65 to 75 years old and has a very large canopy providing much shade for a group.

Yes it made me feel good Randy, but my daughters and I had to tell him to be quiet and that he didn't have to tell everyone. When my children were growing up we lived in Houston and eventhough I would let them visit in the summers sometimes, they felt left out. Because of them feeling that way and my kids not having grandparents close all throughout their childhood, I make sure that I help out and let them know they are always welcome here. This is their home. My oldest daughters job is laying off employees and hers may be in jeopardy as well. A few weeks ago she said if they laid her off she would be putting her house up for sale and moving here with her 2 children. My son has lived here with his significant other and their babies. I always help out with school clothes and supplies when they need it. Things that I and they missed out on. I believe that families should be there for each other in good and bad times. My nephew, his wife and their daughter lives here so I try to always include them in our family gatherings. Easter is coming so I am planning the meal and my youngest daughter is planning an Easter egg hunt for the grands and the next door neighbors grandchildren. My son called last night to say he would be coming next weekend so I will have a full house. That makes me very happy.

I guess I better get some sweet potatoes so I can make a couple of pies. My 2nd grandson with the sweet tooth says granny your food tastes good everytime. That is while he is getting cake or cookies that I baked.lol

My third grandson spend the night with me Friday and Saturday. When time to leave on Friday, my daughter told him I didn't want to be bothered and he advised her that he always takes care of his granny. Needless to say he was here for 2 nights.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miss Dorothy, you are a blessed woman. But you are also a still point in a topsy-turvy world for your family.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com