CURBHOPPER is here.....

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

AND, Mz. Jules ~ It's mAllow not mEllow. I just checked the bag. I have to be right at least once a week about something.

I looked up the history of marshmallows several years back whan a gardening friend (NancyB) commented on the mallows blooming near her home. The original marshmallows were made from those plants. Now our technology has bypassed that need. But I wonder what a REAL marshmallow would taste like. BTW, I saw some marshmallows at our local market that were about three inches in diameter. Can you imagine putting that into a cup of hot chocoilate?

And you know I'd try that cup of cocoa and be the first person in history who died from a marshmallow. Now wouldn't that make a great tombstone ~ :)

Wow, maybe some healthy organic food producer will stumble across this thread and find out you can use mallow to make marshmellows. Wonder if we could find that original recipe. Like we have nothing better to do...LOL

Geez, Randy, we are finally going to give you a hobby. Do your research so you can have your soon-to-be WORLD famous marshmallows ready for export at Christmas time

I am curious now. I'll see what I can find. But I am retired, you know. Few things would distress me more now than embarking on some business venture. LOL But I know you are only teasing me and that is good.

I was talking with a young Korean man at a Stop & Rob market a few days ago and the subject of jam came up. A couple of days later I took him a jar. The wife of the owner saw it and wanted to buy some. I had to tell her that I didn't sell it, but I would give her a jar. I dropped off one this morning. I like Koreans. But I like most everybody.

There you go, being kindhearted still. Is that really the name of the store? Randy, "People treat you, the way you treat them" is my little motto. When I was teaching, my class knew it and we rarely had behavior problems b/c of that simple little saying.

No Curbie, that's not the name of the store. My brother-in-law (deputy sheriff) used to call them that and I just picked it up from him. Otherwise, it's called a convenience store. There is another 'convenience store' in Newberg that is owned by a Korean family and I have stopped in there often. One day, the grandmother commented about my wallet when I paid for my purchase. It is one I made from cowhide and tooled it and laced all the pieces together. Since it is real cowhide, I expect it to last many more years. But after that, I made a small coin purse and took it back and gave it to the man there and told him it was for his wife. Later, this younger woman thanked me for the coin purse. Obviously, I am a terrible judge of age. But I also made another wallet for the man (husband) and I tooled a Korean flag into the leather. They also tried to pay me, but I told them that you do not pay for gifts. Sometime later though, my wife and I were on the way home and she said she had a yen for some ice cream. So I stopped at this market and picked up a 1/2 gallon of vanilla ice cream. The man behind the counter said it was fifty cents. I knew better than that, but he was adamant and would only allow me to pay him fifty cents.

AND, Mz. Jules ~ It's mAllow not mEllow. I just checked the bag. I have to be right at least once a week about something.

glad you set us straight, i thought it was an a but everyone had an e so i used the e also....lol

Randy ~ You are a remarkable example of goodness. Laurie, I had to dig the bag out but we COULD put my mallows with YOUR Hershey bars :) Somebody needs to bring the graham crackers.

Sign me up for the graham crackers. :D

Randy,
I think Asian people have a very hard time excepting gifts and kindness.
My DIL is Cambodian born in France. She is very educated speaks 5 languages but is so tender and I think sometimes she feels she is not worthy of gifts. She has a hard time accepting things. she always feels the need to give a return gift even if it is for her birthday or Christmas. I think part of that is they do not celebrate those events as some cultures do. We had great fun teaching her about Christmas. She is catching on though as Mother's Day she made me a cake;)

Now how sweet was that, CG. My hubby always says, "There are givers and there are takers." As I have begun to age, I have learned that it IS OK to accept just b/c. Me= "You offered and all I have to do is say 'thank you'. My daughter has taught me to accept. Do you think it's a woman thing too? ~:confused:

I'm going to have to make one this weekend, suppose to be nice here so I'll have a fire in the outdoor fireplace,

I don't think receiving a gift without repayment is limited to Asians, but it could be more predominant. In my earlier years I know I had a hard time accepting a gift. I don't remember who told me though that it blesses the giver to accept a gift and that put a whole new light on it. There are some terribly generous people right here on this forum and you have to be careful about saying you need something or like something because it's liable to show up on your doorstep.

Do you remember when if you received a tin of cookies, you had to put something back in that tin? We have neighborhood parties at our house and when I have to return someone's clean plate, I now put a fresh flower on it or a dog biscuit. ~

Curbie that is how I alswya try to return things. I raised my kids that way.
Yes Randy you are right not just Asians but I do notice it more so in them. And you are right about this crew watch what you say they love to give;)

Crabber, one time I smarted off about wanting a new tractor and by golly, it wasn't long before one came in the mail for me along with a pickup truck and a trailer for hauling the tractor. Of course it wasn't a John Deere, but it was made by Tonka. That's not the only thing I have received either. After all the teasing, I got some lobster meat from Maine. LOL

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back