Cutting Garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

oremudpie

Hello everyone
I need some idea's please..
I am an Oregon Garden volunteer in Silverton Or and spend my time in an area known as the Silverton Market Garden, 8 acres of veggies, furits, herbs and flowers..
So heres the deal...Yesterday the mighty threesome who volunteer in this area were ask for idea's on what to put in a cutting garden..To have flowers from early spring until .........!!!Its our garden to plant and most likely do a lot of the care of like we do the veggie garden...
Can I have some idea's please on what you all might plant....Silverton is zone 7 its just east of Salem a bit...

The mighty three some are myself and two wonderfull gentlemen and we are all in our early 60's as is our hort that we work with...It is fun and very rewarding.
Enough said
oremudpie aka melanie

swindy

Oremudpie there is so much you can use in a cutting garden, of course all the varities of daisys and daisy like flowers-whites pinks and yellows, put in a couple of hydranger shrubs- they are beautiful in mixed bouquets, tulips, lillies, glads,roses, cosmos. I'll stop here and let others add their choices.

oremudpie

Sharon
Thanks for the idea's..I'm going to make a list of all the suggestions I get and take it with me tuesday..The guys have already vetoed roses, but the others sound great..
We have a large area to work with so will be fun
melanie

Gardengoddess

mudpie,

What comes to mind are echinechea, rudbeckia. I had a plant in my garden called orphanage plant, they were small white flowers and lasted a long time in a bouquet.

I'm trying to think of something for earlier in the year and all I'm coming up with is bulb flowers.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Papa2mykids

Varies zinnias and marigolds
Sweet William (tall)
Yes, cosmos
Astilbe
Liatris
Phlox (perennial and annual)
Coreopsis
Peonies
Salvias (all sorts)

I'm sure there are several native plants to add as well.

Ron

oremudpie

Good morning
I'm looking at this list and thinking OH BOY our resident herd of black tail deer sure are going to have more good eats..They are such pain in the veggie garden..
I'm copying this all down for Tuesday morning
Later
melanie

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Papa2mykids hit right on my favorite cutting flower. Zinnias are so great , many colors and self seeding. Easy fast growers make wonderful arrangements. I started collecting my seeds by color and have areas of single colors as well as mixed. I really can't say enough about them as a great addition to any garden.

Papa2mykids

Plants with course foliage or scents tend to be critter resistant.

There are plenty to chose from, you can even add Lavender to the list.

Ron

Papa2mykids

Plants with coarse or fuzzy foliage or scents tend to be critter resistant.

There are plenty to chose from, you can even add Lavender to the list.

Ron

swindy

Oremudpie
You should go over to Landscape and Design and check out a thread that Chattycarnation started -"Gardens at Bank of Springfield" The garden designer is Adam Woodruff. You can click on the link and see his blog with pictures and names of all the plants he used in the design. The gardens are beautiful. You should be able to get alot of info there for your project.

Caligal

Hello Mel...that will be a fun project. Dutch Iris are really nice, Sweet Peas, Calendula's, Snap Dragon's, Statice and maybe Pansy's, my Dutch Iris, Allium's and Scallia's are up now.

and I'll have to go see those Springfield Garden pictures...(thanks swindy).

oremudpie

Hi
I was out at the gardens today and my friend in crime and I talked about the cutting garden...If they would make it a perment thing it would be fun but thats not what I heard they wanted to do..I'd rather just work on the veg garden...will see..
melanie

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com