Daily Missives

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Scarez

As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Remember:

Jim Baker and Jimmy Swaggert have written an impressive new book. It's called 'Ministers Do More Than Lay People'

Transvestite: A guy who likes to eat, drink, and be Mary.

The difference between the Pope and your boss, the Pope only expects you to kiss his ring.

The only time the world beats a path to your door is if you're in the bathroom.

I hate sex in the movies. Tried it once. The seat folded up, thedrink spilled and THAT ICE, well, it really chilled the mood.

It used to be only death and taxes. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.

A husband is someone who, after taking the trash out, wants thanks. It's not like he just cleaned the whole house!

My next house will have no kitchen - just Vending machines and a really large trash can.

A blond said, 'I was worried that my Mechanic might try to rip me off. I was relieved when he told me all I needed was turn signal fluid.'

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
It used to be only death and taxes. Now, of course, there's shipping and handling, too.

A blond said, 'I was worried that my Mechanic might try to rip me off. I was relieved when he told me all I needed was turn signal fluid.'

SO true So true....:cool:

Scarez

Comments Made in the Year 1955!!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00.'

'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2,000.00 will only buy a used one.'

'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. A quarter a pack is ridiculous.'

'Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging a dime just to mail a letter?'

'If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.'

'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.'

'Kids today are impossible. Those duck tail hair cuts make it impossible to stay groomed. Next thing you know, boys will be wearing their hair as long as the girls.'

'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more. Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying damn in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL of DAMN in it.'

'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ...'

'Did you see where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.'

'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.'

'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.'

'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.'

'Marriage doesn't mean a thing any more, those Hollywood stars seem to be getting divorced at the drop of a hat.'

'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.'

'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to congress.' 'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.'

'There is no sense going to the city anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel.'

'No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35.00 a day in the hospital it's too rich for my blood.'

'If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

Kya D

I hate to say it but I remember alot of the 1955 things.
I bought my first NEW car for 2000 dollars ( in 1972)and the house (on a half acre) I raised my family in cost 24,500 dollars (in 1974) on a 33 yr. loan I thought I would NEVER live long enough to get it paid off. When I was in High School gas was 30 cents a gallon.
YIKES!!!! I am old.

K

Kale

Interesting...
My mom was 15 then...No I was not born when she was 16*lol.Im the 3rd oldest..We didn't start to appear into this changing world until 1961.
I know those had to be the GOOD O"L DAYS!

Wish I were born gardening then,Id be famous now...I keep thinking I invented something,only to find out someone did it already:(..

I do not think one is old until one thinks one is.:)
I am reminded that I'm not a spring chicken,I clearly state "I was never a chicken,a nut cake perhaps a chicken ...never."..:)

Kale:)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 1961 my oldest daughter was born. I remember when gasoline was 15 cents a gallon, but I also remember when it was delivered from the old style pumps that had a handle on the side that you pumped to fill up the glass cylinder on top of the pump. Then gravity took care of delivery into a car's tank. Amazing things have happened through the years. I remember when polio was a fearsome prospect in our young lives and then Dr. Jonas Salk invented the vaccine that took away that awful fear.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I was born in 1949 so y'all are making me feel old as dirt. In 1955 I would have be starting first grade. This year if I live to 10-9 I will hit the BIG 60!!! When Dewey got home from Vietnam in 1969 he bought his 1970 Mach 1 Mustang for $3400 and I bought a camaro that year for less than that. Can you imagine buying a new car for that now. Those were the good 'ole days.

Last edited:

Kya D

Dale I don't know if that would be a down payment on a new one now.
I always told my kids that I would NEVER pay for a car (that only seats 4 comfortably) as much as I paid for my house.
AND there was a time when you could actually mechanic your own car. Now it seems like they are just throw away cars just like lots of other things. It is cheaper to buy a new one than fix the old one.

gonepostal

Well I was born in 1949 so y'all are making me feel old as dirt. In 1955 I would have be starting first grade. This year if I live to 10-9 I will hit the BIG 60!!! When Dewey got home from Vietnam in 1969 he bought his 1970 Mach 1 Mustang for $3400 and I bought a camaro that year for less than that. Can you imagine buying a new car for that now. Those were the good 'ole days.

Dale-if I live 2 more days (10-11) I will be the big 60 also!:D

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is wonderful. Every day is a blessing in our lifes journey. I am enjoying the ride.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com