Dehydrating Garlic???? But why??

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

K

Kale

Hubby is killing me trying to dehydrate garlic and Hot Peppers!
Is it worth the torture! My nose is burning off!

Have you ever tried this and is it worth all that..He thinks he is going to make garlic powder*LOL Dont know what he is doing with the Hot peppers!

What do you dehydrate, not that I will give Hubby an ideas? *LOL

Kale:)*

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I dry plums, pears, apples, and recently I dried some squash seeds. The squash seeds are just the same as pumpkin seeds and they are really loaded in good vitamins and minerals.

K

Kale

Have you ever heard of burning your wife's nose out to make garlic powder*LOL You can by powder for a dollar,told him I'll give him the dollar*lol
We use to make beef strips for our dog*lol

How long for the fruit (apples and pears) to dry out how do you store it and how long will it stay? Give Hubby something different to do *lol

Kale:D

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kale,
Peppers are great to do as they keep forever if you get them dry! Garlic is better preserved pickled or fried, however dehydrating is ok just takes forever. Slice the garlic. put a light coating of oil on your tray or the garlic will stick. You know how it gets sticky well it's like glue in the dehydrator. Be ready to spend a couple days drying. Don't try to rush and take out too soon or it will mold. It must be hard chips. Break a test chip in half to see if the center has turned dark yellowish brown if so it's dry all the way through;) Then if you want to grin do so , you will know if it's dry or not by the first one you grind.

K

Kale

Hummm.I said that! Thank-you! he did not put the oil *lol
I guess he will find out *lol It is still on, and the smell had gone somewhat,it was nice the first hour or so I thought I was in Brooklyn,was looking for the meatballs! *LOL
He used coffee filters to hold the chopped garlic.
I still do not see the purpose in this*LOL I guess it is better then what he really ought a do *LOL I always find something to do when I don't want to do what I oughta also*LOL

Kale:D

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
We use a fair amount of garlic here, but we buy a large container of minced garlic at CostCo. I have planted garlic and then broken it up, peeled it and frozen the cloves. That works well too. Most the time, the fruits are dry in just a day or two. Then I put them in plastic bags and put them in the freezer. I tried drying blueberries a couple of years ago, but I left them in too long. The smaller ones by then were too dried out and would crumble if you squeezed them. I just freeze them now.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I also use alot of chopped , minced or pwodered garlic. And if you have a surplus it's one of the few ways to keep it for any amount of time. It just must be very dry.
Ust the coffee filter he is using around the base of plants just under the soil I bet the oil in the filter will help keep cut warms from your seedlings and the filters should biodegrade!

K

Kale

Ust the coffee filter he is using around the base of plants just under the soil I bet the oil in the filter will help keep cut warms from your seedlings and the filters should biodegrade!

:D:D:D He isn't growing anything but messes around here *LOL And he didn't use oil on the filters to dehydrate*lol Just the filters because the trays have holes*lol Garlic powder is made and apples are almost completed.
Now I need something else for him to do *LOL

Randy, how long can the apple thin sliced be stored and where?

I still have a burning nose...

Kale:)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once dried, I put them in plastic bags and into the freezer. The books will tell you that 6 months should be the limit, but I have kept the dried fruits frozen for a couple of years. But if you can use them with the six months, they will have retained most of their flavor in that time. Longer times will diminish the good flavor.

K

Kale

Dont think they will last that long; I'm guessing tops a month*lol
Do you think they'd last that long in the fridge?

Thank-you!

Kya D

I love to dehydrate

Both veggies and fruit
I have dried celery, bell peppers, tomatoes, fruit leather, jerky, apples, plums, pears, apricots, corn , and lots of herbs.
I have 3 dehydrators and during the harvesting season they run 24-7
I have tried to dry other things, some were good and some were ghastly.
Live and learn.

plantlover

Hubby is killing me trying to dehydrate garlic and Hot Peppers!
Is it worth the torture! My nose is burning off!

Have you ever tried this and is it worth all that..He thinks he is going to make garlic powder*LOL Dont know what he is doing with the Hot peppers!

What do you dehydrate, not that I will give Hubby an ideas? *LOL

Kale:)*
I don't see any point in dehydrating hot peppers when you can hang them to dry them. I've done that several times. Just use a needle and thread a long string or thread through a lot of peppers. Be sure to knot the bottom and stack the peppers on top of one another. Make sure you have enough string or thread left at the end to hang it.

I can't see dehydrating garlic, but depending on how you use it, you could put some minced cloves in olive oil. Whenever I've grown garlic, I will keep the large cloves to use and then replant the smaller ones. I don't know whether garlic would lose its flavor if you dehydrate.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't dry a bunch of stuff, but I do dry some. My brother dries a lot of things too and he will send me some dried figs, persimmons and stuff like that. He doeasn't have the apple and pear trees like I do though. I have three pear trees and six apple trees. Four of the apple trees are quite old and very productive.

Kya D

OMGosh Randy what kind of apple trees do you have. We are in a new yard and would love to have even ONE OLD fruit tree

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
In our back yard we have a King Apple that is probably close to 70 years old. The rest of them are in a small orchard on the east end of the property. We have a McIntosh, a Yellow Delicious, and a Beaman. I named the Beaman after a friend of mine. I haven't been able to determine what kind it is even after consulting with the experts. I have two small trees also. One of them is a Gravenstein and it is planted right next to a Staymen Winesap that I grafted a Gala on to. I planted the Gravenstein next to it for a source of scion wood. I want to also graft the Gravenstein on to the Winesap. The Gravenstein and the Gala are both early apples. The Staymen Winesap is a later apple as are the Yellow Delicious and the Beaman. The later trees give us the opportunity to fill out our pantry in case we didn't work hard enough when the earlier apples were ready. The King is an early apple also and we use a lot of them. Being in the back yard, it also gives us an opportunity to toss the horse or goats a treat once in awhile. That horse expects a treat every time he sees me come out the back door. I try to oblige.

Kya D

OMG Randy what a sweet selection of apples some eating apples and some cooking apples..
I know what you mean about the horses and goats. Mine are super spoiled to.
I wonder if you could get on a site that has info about heirloom apples maybe you could find your Beaman there

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
It isn't likely. I took apples to our county extension office and they just looked at them and said they didn't have any idea. I also too some to an apple grower not far from here and he just shook his head. There were master gardeners at the extension office and they didn't know. Then I found out there are over 7,000 different varieties of apples so at that point, I decided it was a Beaman.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
:D:D:D He isn't growing anything but messes around here *LOL And he didn't use oil on the filters to dehydrate*lol Just the filters because the trays have holes*lol Garlic powder is made and apples are almost completed.
Now I need something else for him to do *LOL

Randy, how long can the apple thin sliced be stored and where?

I still have a burning nose...

I was thinking about the oil that is expressed from the garlic and left behind on the filters. I bet you won't wan to reuse them LOL!! Garlic coffee now that might actually be desired in some cultures!:eek:

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't see dehydrating garlic, but depending on how you use it, you could put some minced cloves in olive oil. Whenever I've grown garlic, I will keep the large cloves to use and then replant the smaller ones. I don't know whether garlic would lose its flavor if you dehydrate.

For the average home, gardener / preserver, it is best to dehydrate. Saving garlic in oil can be deadly unless you have pasturized it. Garlic can produce a form botulism just as improperly canned foods will. No taste no odor just deadly. While in the past you may have had success, to me it's not worth the chance. Now if you were to find a recipe you could process in a presure canner then it might be worth a try. The information above comes from the Department of Ag.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com