Desert Rose

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

These plants do NOT like to sit in water...make sure you have them in well draining soil...I use Jungle grow 60% and perilite 40% this has worked for me. You can also use a cactus soil. I drill extra holes in my pots. They Love the heat and like water when its hot but need to drain through.
Gloria cut off any soft spots on the caudex...all that is mushy dont leave any rot as it will spread, after you have taken all of the rot off sprinkle with cinnamon, and let sit for a day or two before repotting. It is very important to do this right away!
I am not an expert, and have learned this the hard way!
As for trimming I have done it at all different times, not sure what the best time is but I will try to find out for you, I know I have done it in all the seasons! lol

I just found out that these plants can't take sitting in soaking wet soil. The plant at the top of the page was in a container that holds water in the bottom of the pot which kept the soil soaking wet. I didn't realize how wet the soil was staying. I keep them outside and we've had some rain lately. I was going to repot it in a better container when I noticed the bottom of the trunk on one side was soft. Upon farther investigation, that side was rotting away!!! I have it in a better pot with good drainage now. I hope it will survive.
Treva, when do you trim yours?

Oh gosh, thanks for this info Treva. I'll take it up and do a good cleaning..I just kinda pulled away most of the rot but didn't really clean it that well. There was a lot of rooting under the rot so I take it that it was trying hard to contain it's self. Do you know what the cinnamon does for it?

YW Glorai, I have had to learn this the hard way! The cinnamon helps to prevent fungus, I put it on all my plumerias and adenius when i cut the.

I wanna be an addict.. I always look at the Dessert Rose with lust, but I have yet to purchase one.. I'm not sure why... Maybe its time.. I think they are sooo pretty.

I will be happy to pay postage for seeds.. : )

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back