Desert Rose

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Back when there was that G-here forum.. a few of us had an addiction to adeniums and shared seeds and plants. I never had a lot of luck. I started over a dozen plants from seeds just to have them die. Well, I managed to save two and here is my very first bloom..I have waited soooo long for this!!!:D

Attachments

• adenium.jpg
    adenium.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 293

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
That first pic was taken 2 days ago..there's more blooms now so here's a couple more views..I'm so proud.:)

Attachments

• desert rose #1.jpg
    desert rose #1.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 299
  • desert rose #2.jpg
    desert rose #2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 305
  • desert rose #3.jpg
    desert rose #3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 288

Melissa

Oh my goodness Gloria...that is gorgeous...You need to be proud. Was that Allison that got you all started on those...she would be proud!!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, it was Allison that started us with the desert roses. She sent me seeds but I had no luck, then Jo sent me seeds and I had this one plant to live. I have one older plant that Penny sent me but it hasn't bloomed yet.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Absolutely gorgeous!
If you have any seeds develop I'd love to have a few!!

Last edited:

Treva

WOW!!
Gloria she is BEAUTIFUL!
YES....I know all about the addiction Allison started!
She sent me seeds too, and then I got more, and more and more!!!!
I now have over 200 plants and I LOVE them ALL!!!
They are all unique.
So I take it the 2 plants I sent you did not make it?
Thank You for sharing your picture....maybe we can get this addiction started here! LOL

Spider_Lily

I saw a few potted plant's at Wal-Mart this weekend they didn't have a name but they look just like this.I may have to make a trip and check them out again.That's a pretty one you have.

Dor

WOW!!
Gloria she is BEAUTIFUL!
YES....I know all about the addiction Allison started!
She sent me seeds too, and then I got more, and more and more!!!!
I now have over 200 plants and I LOVE them ALL!!!
They are all unique.
So I take it the 2 plants I sent you did not make it?
Thank You for sharing your picture....maybe we can get this addiction started here! LOL

One of the one's you sent me is blooming Treva. It is really pretty. I lost two of them with the cold we had. I am so heart broken but I have plenty seeds. Maybe you can help us get our addiction going please.

By the way how are you and the family? I have been so busy with the baby sitting job.

Dor

Absolutely gorgeous!
If you have and seeds develop I'd love to have a few!!

Ron, I have some seeds I can share with you. I don't know how good they are as I have had them over a year but if you want to try them you are welcome. I have an assortment that I am going to try myself.

Melissa

Haha...looks like you are getting it started again Gloria :)

Treva...that is incredible...where do you find room for them...I am assuming you have them in the house? I would love love love to see pictures!!! Your Cannas pictures use to make me drool :)

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks everyone, I'm glad y'all like my blooms. Well..if we have another addiction to these beautiful plants..so be it!:D:D Ron if it produces seeds, I'll send you some. Treva, please post pics, I've seen some of yours before and they're awesome.
I want to show the trunk formation of my older plant, it's so unusual. I hope it blooms for me one day..:confused:

Attachments

• desert rose trunk 005+.jpg
    desert rose trunk 005+.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 297

Treva

Dorothy...I could get it srarted!!! I dont have any problem with my ADDICTIONS my hubby says I am plant crazy!
Thanks for the compliment Mel...I have mine in the greenhouse.... here is a link to some of my adeniums...
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/bb196/TrevaM/Adeniums/

I have over 200 named seedlings going right now in adiition to 50+ that are 1 to 3 years old.

They are FUN!

Ron I have some seed not sure of flower though it was open pollinated.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got over a week off from work so today I was Wally World bound! Spiderlily, just look what they had on sale.... Desert Roses!! I got these two for 6.50 each. I don't know what color they'll turn out to be, the waiting to see will be hard!
Treva, I have questions..these 2 plants have been cut back.. alot. When do you cut them back and why do you cut them? I cut one of mine because the top seemed to be dying but don't remember what time of year that was..:eek:

Attachments

• desrt roses.jpg
    desrt roses.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice bargain Gloria!!
My current addition is hardy cacti for my zone!
I ordered 8 packs of mixed seed from Parkseed! They are doing great! Not sure what the final plants will look like! It'll be next year before I will be able to identify what species they are! The test will be how, and if, they survive this coming winter!
I have several species of Prickly Pear and 2 species of Escobara (small pincushion type) which already passed through their first winter without any difficulties!
I'll have to put the adeniums on hold for now! As if I need any excuse for more additions!!! Gotta restrain myself!
Not sure what I will trade for them!
I do have a large inventory of seeds from GardensNorth!
Treva, open pollinated is fine by me! I love surprises!
They would do wonderfully in our sunroom!!!
I'm having problems with my orchids, as they do not like the heat here during the winter months and then again, with the hot summer months!
Cacti do great! So I take it that adeniums would love these conditions!

Treva

Gloria
I cut mine back to encourage branching, a bigger caudex and less height. Although some will be tall no matter how much I cut on them! And you can start new plants from the cuttings! ;)
Looks like you got 2 Beauties there!! And a GREAT price!

I've got over a week off from work so today I was Wally World bound! Spiderlily, just look what they had on sale.... Desert Roses!! I got these two for 6.50 each. I don't know what color they'll turn out to be, the waiting to see will be hard!
Treva, I have questions..these 2 plants have been cut back.. alot. When do you cut them back and why do you cut them? I cut one of mine because the top seemed to be dying but don't remember what time of year that was..:eek:

Treva

Ron send me your address! I will be glad to share with you!!! I LOVE sharing these babies! lol!!!!:D
Nice bargain Gloria!!
My current addition is hardy cacti for my zone!
I ordered 8 packs of mixed seed from Parkseed! They are doing great! Not sure what the final plants will look like! It'll be next year before I will be able to identify what species they are! The test will be how, and if, they survive this coming winter!
I have several species of Prickly Pear and 2 species of Escobara (small pincushion type) which already passed through their first winter without any difficulties!
I'll have to put the adeniums on hold for now! As if I need any excuse for more additions!!! Gotta restrain myself!
Not sure what I will trade for them!
I do have a large inventory of seeds from GardensNorth!
Treva, open pollinated is fine by me! I love surprises!
They would do wonderfully in our sunroom!!!
I'm having problems with my orchids, as they do not like the heat here during the winter months and then again, with the hot summer months!
Cacti do great! So I take it that adeniums would love these conditions!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just found out that these plants can't take sitting in soaking wet soil. The plant at the top of the page was in a container that holds water in the bottom of the pot which kept the soil soaking wet. I didn't realize how wet the soil was staying. I keep them outside and we've had some rain lately. I was going to repot it in a better container when I noticed the bottom of the trunk on one side was soft. Upon farther investigation, that side was rotting away!!! I have it in a better pot with good drainage now. I hope it will survive.
Treva, when do you trim yours?

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com