do alliums???

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

sunflower3

smell like onions, the bulb that is?? I think I found some bulbs when digging my old garden they are very small and smelled like onions. just wondering if it's them or not?? thanks Karen.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think they do as they are part of the onion family
plant them and see what you get
i have some small aliums and a couple of big ones that came from grammie's house

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
LOL..this got my curiousity up. I just recieved some Alliums in a trade so I smelled them! Yes..they do smell like onions. This is my first experience with Alliums so I have learned something new!

Annette99

I have wild onions that come up all over my property and they are very difficult to get rid of. They look like my alliums coming up. but they are a nusiance. They certainly smell like onions.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have what my neighbor calls blooming garlic which is allium and if you even brush the leaves it smells the whole area of garlic/onion. I love it!

sunflower3

well I found to more bunches, don't know if they are or not, so I'll just have to wait and see what they do, then I'll know what they are for sure.

I have alliums in my garden that I love!! I also have a problem with wild onions.. both smell like onions. I do find that the wild onions have a smaller bulb.. mine are pretty white in color.. darn things.

The alliums in my garden are just beginning to bloom and there are quite a few varieites available.

sunflower3

still not sure, right now everything is slow, I do keep finds shallots that for some reason I planted in different spots around the yard and keep asking myself WHY?? i did that?? must have lost my mind last summer? LOL...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com