Do you make a good stew ?

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

flwrs4ever

I have been wanting to make stew...but dont have a good recipe....anyone willing to share one ?

I know, I can go on the recipe sites, but I want to know someone actually has made it, and likes it.

sassmuffin

beef stew, lamb stew, chicken stew??

Here is the Karlik/Glazer family chicken stew

13 cups water
15 chicken bouillion cubes
6 bnls/sknl chicken breasts
1 med/large onion
6 carrots
6 celery sticks
16 oz bag exlarge or dumpling noodles
2 tblsp. each
chives tarragon parsley
2 teaspoons sage
1/4 cup white cooking wine or vermouth
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups water
3/4 flour
1/2 pint heavy (whipping cream)
add 13 cups water and bouillion cubes to large pot and bring to boil
cube chicken breasts (easiest if partially frozen) and to pot
chop onion, carrots and celery add to pot reduce heat and simmer for 1/2 hour
remove 1 cup liquid and place in small sauce pan
add noodles to large pot cover for 20 min.
to small pan add wine and butter, bring to boil on high until liquid is reduced to 1/4 cup total. remove from heat
mix 1 1/2 cups water with flour add to large pot, bring heat up to medium, for 5 min. stir often
Add cream to mixture in small pot, then add all to large pot continue cooking for another 5 minutes. salt and pepper to taste. freezes well.

shinekeeper

I make a good beef vegetable...soup or stew...BUT, I gotta figure out what's in it to post!I will try to write it out soon. Chicken stew sounds good!

M

Mari-Jo

I thnk I am going to try your chicken stew this weekend Sass..........:)

Jules

Looks good Sass...I'll have to give it a whirl soon too.
I use beef stock for the base of my beef stew ... and add a package of dried onion soup mix for added flavour. Add beef, potatoes, carrots and sometimes turnips...froz peas the last few minutes (I use a slow cooker)
For flavouring - anything goes - I open my cupboard and started adding. Always garlic clove - splash of worchester sauce - parsley, bay leave, celery seed, salt and pepper - I also like to add some red wine if there is any left over - my step mother uses savoury, oregano, thyme, rosemary also - just a little bit of them - it is all a matter of trial and error to find the flavouring that works best for you.

flwrs4ever

the chicken stew sounds soo good, does it feed an army ? LOL sounds like a big recipe, I am going to get the ingred and make it this weekend also, thanks !

I am the type of person that needs to follow a recipe, atleast until I get comfortable making the food...then Ill change it up.

kozykitten

I do beef stew, but no real recipe...a can of this, a can of that etc lol. I just throw in whatever is available at the time.

Jules

I do beef stew, but no real recipe...a can of this, a can of that etc lol. I just throw in whatever is available at the time.
Isn't that what a stew is about? Stews, in our grandparents time, was made to clean up the left overs - and feed the family for a couple of hardy meals! I just made a beef stew yesterday - you all made me crave one! It was yummy!!

shinekeeper

OK, I'm just going to write this like I make it. May be a little annoying because I didn't list ingredients, but I am lazy. And y'all are smart enough to figure it out.:)

Melt about 1/2 cup oil in big soup pot. I have used butter, olive oil...whatever. And I have made it in too small a pot...it seems to grow. So use a BIG pot, 3qts or more.

I cut about a pound of any lean beef...chuck roast, round steak, London broil... into 1" cubes. Use more if you have carnivores in the family.

If you want SOUP(thinner liquid), just salt and pepper the beef. If you want STEW(thicker liquid), coat meat with a mixture of flour, salt, pepper and a little garlic powder. Then place in pot that you have heated oil to medium high heat. You want to deeply brown(but not burn) the meat for a rich flavor. Stir it around to keep it from sticking, scraping any brown stuff off the bottom.

When all sides of all cubes are nice and brown, turn heat down to medium and add a large onion, chopped. Keep stirring it around til kinda transparent. Add about 2 cups of hot water that you have dissolved 5 beef boullion cubes in, stir and cover. Boil gently for about a half hour, stir occasionally and add water if it looks low.

While this is simmering...cut up your vegetables. Anything you like.
I use...
3 red potatoes, cubed
3 turnips, cubed (so people don't know they are turnips and think it is just more potatoes)
3 carrots, sliced into coins
I like things in "3s"
1 small head of cabbage, chopped into bite-sized pieces (guess that depends on how big your peoples' mouths' are, haha)

A handful of frozen green beans
A handful of frozen lima beans (no way to hide these from people, so they'll have to just pick them out. Yes, I had picky sons)
I like frozen because they hold their shape well.

Add a large can of petite diced tomatoes and a tomato can of water to beef. Throw in all the vegetables you prepared. Add about a tsp. of onion powder and a TBS. of Redhot sauce...not real hot, but a nice flavor. Simmer...nice slow bubbles popping the surface...for close to an hour. Stir sometimes to make sure it doesn't scorch on the bottom. Take some out occasionally, and see if it's tender...if so...it's ready!

You want there to be enough liquid. If you are stirring a solid mass of vegetables...add water.

And...right before you are ready to eat, add 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese and stir well.

Some people like corn kernels added. Or frozen peas. Anything you like will be fine. You can also add a packet of brown gravy mix to thicken the "juice". Taste from time to time and add more salt or seaoning to suit your taste. As with most things, this is even better the next day after flavors have blended. AND, it's even good if you use ground beef instead of cubes.

Hope ya like it.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's my kind of stew, Shine. Perfect comfort food for a real cold day.
If you're pushed for time.. you can substite 2 pounds of ground chuck for the meat cubes. Just brown it and go from there.
When I cook dried Lima beans and ham I always freeze the left overs. When I'm ready to make soup or stew, I add it in. Butter beans or black eyed peas are good too.

flwrs4ever

Shine, thank you soo much !! I am one of those people that need to "get it" then I can run with it, and the way you wrote it, I got it ! I am going to make it this weekend, thanks again...I am also going to make the "chicken stew" as my kids wont even TRY the beef stew..they dont know what they are missing !

shinekeeper

Nice to know somebody "gets" me LOL!!! I love to cook and, as with anything, sometimes you get so comfortable that you assume everyone knows what you know. I remember the morning I walked my son thru making sausage gravy...me in Ohio and he in Indiana!!
This soup has been requested so many times...I think you'll enjoy it. Hope so!!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My best stews come from no recipe at all. Sometimes it's just what I have from left overs in the fridg. But if I set out to make a stew I start with beef cubed and brown in a heavy pot. Then add my onions, carrots, potatoes, and tomatoes. Let it all cook down then add roux for a thinkening. But now Chili is my favorite!

shinekeeper

We should have a CHILI COOKOFF!! So many different kinds of it. My area is "famous" for Cincinnati chili...not at all what I think of when I want a bowl of chili...but good as a coney or 3, 4 or 5 way.

shinekeeper

Oh, I like it, Nancy...i just think of a different concotion when I think of a bowl of it. Chili I mean. You know, with tomatoes and peppers and such...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com