Easy Coconut Chicken Curry

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

S

Sweet Basil

Whether you are an adventurous foodie or a ground beef and rice casserole meat and potatoes type this easy coconut chicken curry is totally for you.

easy-coconut-curry-chicken-ohsweetbasil.comk_.jpg

—​

If you would have offered this to me as a kid there’s no way in heck I would have eaten it. I was dumb. I still am not crazy adventurous as I don’t have any desire to try calamari or tongue, but I do enjoy trying different ethnic foods. I mean, one of our most popular recipes is my sister’s honey baked chicken which uses curry. Ha! Look at me go!

easy-coconut-curry-chicken-ohsweetbasil.com-3k.jpg

Coconut curry is not at all scary. In fact, with the coconut milk in there it’s actually creamy and really easy on the palate. Our 9 year old was a little weirded out by that orange color at first but our 5 year old dug right in and was signing its praises so she knew it was something she too could try.

Sure enough, it was a success for the whole family and now it’s one of our favorite meals. However there are a few things that really make a difference in its success.

easy-coconut-curry-chicken-ohsweetbasil.com-2k.jpg

1. Grill the Chicken- I think it’s because our spices aren’t as good as the authentic stuff but giving that chicken a little smokey awesomeness is totally going to change this dish. If you must, just cook it in a pan, but grilling is better.
  2. Bloom the curry- I’ve tried a few curry recipes both ways and hands down the best coconut curry starts by letting the curry powder cook in the oil for a minute or two, then adding the onion and finally moving on with the recipe. This allows the true flavor to “bloom” or come out.
  3. Skip the cream and go for coconut milk. It’s creamy like heavy cream but it’s also lighter and melds well with the curry.
Easy Coconut Chicken Curry​

Yield: 4 servings
Easy Coconut Chicken Curry

Total Time: 40

Prep Time: 10

Cook Time: 30

Whether you are an adventurous foodie or a ground beef and rice casserole meat and potatoes type this easy coconut chicken curry is totally for you.

y-coconut-curry-chicken-ohsweetbasil.comk_-210x270.jpg
Print Recipe
Ingredients:

• 2 Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1-2 Tablespoons Peanut or Canola oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Curry Powder, divided
  • 1 Tablespoon Garam Masala
  • 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, smashed
  • 1 Can (14 ounce) Sweetened Coconut milk, full fat, never lite
  • 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
  • 1 Teaspoon salt
  • Pepper, to taste
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 Tablespoons cornstarch
  • White Rice for serving
  • Cilantro
Directions:

1. Chop the chicken into large chunks.
  2. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and half of the curry and half of the garam masala.
  3. Toss to coat evenly.
  4. Thread the chicken onto skewers (if wooden make sure you soaked them first) and place on a medium high heated grill.
  5. Turn the chicken every 1-2 minutes until grilled on each side, about 6-8 minutes.
  6. Set aside.
  7. In a large skillet over medium heat add the oil and heat until shimmering.
  8. Add the remaining curry and garam marsala.
  9. Cook, stirring occasionally for 1 minute, add the onion and a little more oil if the pan is dry.
  10. Continue to cook for 2 minutes or until the onion is tender, stirring often.
  11. Add the garlic and cook for 30 more seconds then add coconut milk, paste, salt, pepper and sugar.
  12. In a small bowl, whisk together the water and cornstarch.
  13. Whisk into the sauce.
  14. Simmer for 15 minutes and add the chicken into the sauce.
  15. Stir to combine and heat for 3 minutes then serve over rice with fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Information

Yield: 4 servings, Serving Size: 1

• Amount Per Serving:
  • Calories: 453 Calories
  • Total Fat: 30.6g
  • Cholesterol: 99.3mg
  • Carbohydrates: 14g
  • Fiber: 2.9g
  • Sugar: 3.3g
  • Protein: 33.9g
All images and text ©Carrian Cheney for Oh Sweet Basil.

easy-coconut-chicken-curry.jpg

vegetarian-tikka-masala-ohsweetbasil.com-2.jpg

ut-curry-chicken-rice-casserole-ohsweetbasil.com-2.jpg

ey-baked-chicken-dinner-recipe-ohsweetbasil.com-3i.jpg

The post Easy Coconut Chicken Curry appeared first on Oh Sweet Basil.

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back