Recipe {Easy} Homemade Pancake Mix From Scratch Recipe

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

S

Sweet Basil

{Easy} Homemade Pancake Mix From Scratch Recipe

An Easy buttermilk homemade pancake mix from scratch that’s equal to the most viral pancake recipe ever, our Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes.

homemade-pancake-mix-recipe-2.jpg

The time is here!! You all have been amazingly patient while we created this homemade pancake mix tutorial for you. I wanted to make sure that we not only got it exactly right, but I also wanted to give you a free printable!!!!

If you want your containers to look like ours PLUS have the recipe for convenience, I got you covered, friend!

Alright, now in case you haven’t noticed, being prepared to make things if you can’t get fresh items or can’t get to the store, you can still bust out pancakes at any ol’ time. Let’s jump into it starting with the items you should always not only have in your pantry, but store a stockpile of.

What Ingredients for Homemade Pancake Mix?

• Flour
  • Dry Buttermilk
  • Salt
  • Baking Soda
  • Baking Powder
  • Sugar

Now I know that you’re going to be asking about the dry buttermilk, the first time I saw it in a recipe I had to do a little digging as well.

What is Buttermilk Powder?​

Buttermilk Powder is dry buttermilk much like you can buy dry milk powder. If you can’t find buttermilk powder I can help! Head to a grocery store and check the baking aisle for this ingredient. In Utah it’s easiest to find it at Macey’s or Walmart, but Harmons and Smiths have it too.

Still can’t find it and want to know what you can use instead of buttermilk powder?

Substitute for Buttermilk Powder

1/3 cup dry powdered milk in the dry mix and then when you’re ready to make them add the water, then add 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice. This is not the same as using buttermilk, but it’s better than skipping.

How to Make Pancake Mix from Scratch

It’s super crazy easy to make pancake mix from scratch and I highly recommend you teach your kiddos to do it.

1. In a very large bowl, add the dry ingredients.
  2. Whisk together to ensure that everything is properly mixed.
  3. Store in an airtight container like this OXO container.

What if I don’t Have Fresh Eggs?

• Can I Use Dehydrated Egg Powder?

You can skip the fresh eggs and use dehydrated powdered eggs to make this shelf stable in case of emergency when you can’t buy eggs. You’ll have to skip the butter if you don’t have powdered butter as well and just use water.

How to Use Dehydrated Egg Powder

• 1 Tablespoon of dehydrated eggs to 2 tablespoons of water = 1 Single Egg

homemade-pancake-mix-recipe-4.jpg

Why Aren’t My Pancakes Fluffy

• Never over-mixing or beating the batter is key to a fluffy pancake
  • Fresh leavening ingredients like baking powder and baking soda as these do go bad.
  • The proper ratio of ingredients so don’t just eyeball it!

Now that you’ve made your pancake mix there are usually a few questions about what to do from here like, is it stored in the pantry or fridge, how long will it keep, etc. Let’s break it all down so you can become a pro.

How Do You Store Pancake Mix?​

Our favorite method of storage is in a 4QT OXO Storage Container.

You can store it in the pantry or fridge depending on how long you want it to last for. We only do the pantry.

How Long Will Homemade Pancake Mix Keep?​

A strictly dry ingredients pancake mix can last for up to 4 months if stored properly.

Storing in the fridge will extend that to up to 6 months.

Can Pancakes Be Made Ahead?​

You can easily make pancakes ahead of time and keep them warm on a plate with foil covering. Especially if you have a warm setting on your oven.

We store already made pancakes in a ziplock or Tupperware in the fridge for up to a week.

How Do You Reheat Pancakes?​

You can reheat pancakes in the microwave, on a pan or if you’re careful in a toaster!

Can You Freeze Pancakes?​

You can freeze pancakes in a plastic freezer bag as long as you completely cool them and place them in the bag in a single layer, and never stacked.

What Can You Add to Pancake Mix

Once you’re ready to make the pancakes you can add:

• A dash of Vanilla
  • A dash of Coconut Extract
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Sprinkles
  • Berries
  • Bananas
  • Nuts

homemade-pancake-mix-recipe-6.jpg

Why are my Pancakes STILL Not Fluffy

You probably over mixed or your leavening ingredients went bad.

Try letting the batter sit for up to 30 minutes so the leavening can activate if they are not fluffy.

For a dry homemade mix try adding a little less water next time.

Remember, pancakes rise mostly due to one ingredient so make sure yours are good!

What Ingredient Makes Pancakes Rise

Pancakes rise thanks to leavening ingredients such as baking soda and baking powder. They also need a very light hand upon mixing as you can deflate the batter.

Try More of our Favorite Pancake and Syrup Recipes:

Syrups

homemade-pancake-mix-recipe-2-500x500.jpg

Print

Melt in Your Mouth Buttermilk Pancakes

The absolute best recipe (after testing hundreds) for buttermilk pancakes is now a homemade pancake mix you can store in your pantry or cupboard!
Course Breakfast
Cuisine American
Keyword breakfast, buttermilk, pancakes
Prep Time 5 minutes
Servings 8 pancakes
Calories 194kcal
Author Sweet Basil
Ingredients

For the Mix

• 2 teaspoons salt
  • 4 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 4 cups sifted flour
  • 1/4 Cup sugar
  • 1 Cup Powdered Buttermilk
For Preparing

• 3 Cups Dry Mix
  • 2 eggs slightly whisked
  • 1 1/4 cups water
  • 2 tablespoons butter unsalted and melted
Instructions

• In a large bowl combine all of the dry ingredients, whisking to combine.
  • Store in an OXO pop top container. (Or at least that's what we've found works the best.)
  • When you're ready to prepare the pancakes, measure out 3 1/4 cup of mix. Add the eggs, water and stir then right before everything is combined, stir in the butter.
  • Heat a pan to medium heat and spray with nonstick spray. Cook pancakes until bubbles form, flip and cook again until set.
Notes

You can use powdered or dehydrated eggs as well. Use 1 tablespoon of egg powder to 2 tablespoons of water for 1 single egg. Multiply accordingly. You can also use Powdered Butter
Nutrition

Serving: 1g | Calories: 194kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 57mg | Sodium: 679mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g

REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO our FREE Oh Sweet Basil NEWSLETTER AND RECEIVE EASY RECIPES DELIVERED INTO YOUR INBOX EVERY DAY!

When you try a recipe, please use the hashtag #ohsweetbasil on INSTAGRAM for a chance to be featured in our stories! FOLLOW OH, SWEET BASIL ON FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST | TWITTER FOR ALL OF OUR LATEST CONTENT, RECIPES AND STORIES.

READ: {Easy} Homemade Pancake Mix From Scratch Recipe

Continue reading...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back