Experienced gardeners

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

rockhound

I'm wondering if any of you experienced gardeners have had this happen to you? A novice, usually a lazy gardener (LOL) comes to you for advice about a problem they have. They might even write down the solution you suggest. The problem is they expect immediate results by following only part of the plan, then blame YOU because it didn't work. I am almost at the point with a couple people of refusing to talk gardening with them at all. I am a fairly patient person, but how do you get a lazy person "off the couch" so to speak?

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can't!
They do not like being told what to do, even if the suggestions are right on!
Run into the same problem over the years.
They have to be willing to listen, change their mind set, and then to act!
Most people these days want immediate gradification, and they want it now!
A good example are people who want a garden with instant color without doing a lot of work to get it that way, then do not keep it that way!! They wonder what went wrong....well, I do not bother telling them why any more!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron hit the nail on the head. With computers and cell phones we have been conditioned into instant gratification. I am organic and sometime those methods are not quick. My husband and I have this discussion every time I spray. He wants to see pest flop and twitch in a death spin instantly. You will just never be able to get some people to realize correction takes time. And if they won't follow the directions properly, it will never work.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember one woman, who after looking over my garden (when I was in the city), ask if I could come over to her property and do her gardens! I thought for a few moments, before answering her (I did a personality evaluation on her...it didn't take long...I know what she suffered from), I looked her in the eyes and told her she couldn't afford me and walked away from her! Her jaw dropped!
She wanted what I did all at once....not realizing the time and attenton I used to create mine!
It is nice here on the lake because everyone is seeing how may gardens have grown and developed over the years and the plants I'm collecting and using!
It's fun talking gardening, if the one I'm talking to is willing to learn a new way of gardening (have to think outside the box)....perennial, drought tolerant and the best part...needing only occasional attention, which look better and better each year (tend to have few pest problems)....no extra watering other then rainfall, no fertilizing since the plants I choose like hot, poor, mostly sandy well drained conditions. All have different foliage shapes and foliage color, and bloom in succession so something different is in bloom from spring until late Fall!
It is best to have a loose plan that stretches over a few years to achieve a self-sustaining landscape!
Gotta love those weekend gardeners who want immediate gratification!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ron you are so right. Gardens are not a passive hobby. And they are always a work in progress in my mind.;)

lynpenny

Super Moderator
Staff member
my hubby finally is realizing how much work a garden is. He was talking about getting a community plot this year and when I reminded him that I won't have time for it with summer school and all he decided he wasn't up to it. A bad back and gardening are not a good mix.

Bradeen

Well good information here about gardening and i am interested in it. I am always interested to take part in those discussions which help me to save my garden from different things.

I'm wondering if any of you experienced gardeners have had this happen to you? A novice, usually a lazy gardener (LOL) comes to you for advice about a problem they have. They might even write down the solution you suggest. The problem is they expect immediate results by following only part of the plan, then blame YOU because it didn't work. I am almost at the point with a couple people of refusing to talk gardening with them at all. I am a fairly patient person, but how do you get a lazy person "off the couch" so to speak?

That´s a potential problem in any "trade". Ask or doctor or a car mechanic...

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com