Fall/Winter Garden

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

KallieLashay

I was hoping that once my summer veggies are done that I would move on to new ones, since fall will be here before I know it!!

I was planning on planting the following:

Tomatoes
Cucumbers
Pumpkins
Butternut Squash
Spaghetti Squash

And maybe Radishes, Beets and Potatoes.....

Cant find too much info on the internet about WHEN to plant the seeds. I live in zone 7 & 8..its a cross in between.

Kya D

Girl I wish I could help but I pray for one crop a year and sometimes I don't even get that. Here in zone 5 it is always a crap shoot.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're planting soon, you should do ok with those Kallie. I'm planting cucs and squash in the next few days and later in the early fall I'll plant mustards, turnips and collards. You have plenty of time for beets and radish, they grow fast. I think this is the only good thing about having hot and humid weather..we have a long growing season!

Dor

Kallie, I am starting tomato seeds and cucumbers soon. I am in Zone 9 and I read in one of my County Extension packets to start tomato seeds in July so that you can have a crop that will be harvested after all the heat is gone. I am going to try some bell and other sweet peppers too. A couple of years ago I had Sweet 100 tomatoes until the frost came.

cycle1667

I've got my pumpkins going for the 4 year old, Halloween is her #1 priority in holiday world.
Also put in some asparagus for next year.

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ah fall the best season
ruttabegas
kale, broccoli, collards
brussel sprouts
carrots
plant garlic now harvest in May
lots of peas can be planted now with the cooling temp.
I have planted my peas and beans so far , running a little behind.

farmerlon

Just keep in mind that many plants, like unprotected Tomatoes, will be killed by the first frost, so plan the timing (for sowing seeds and transplanting) of those accordingly.

thyme2garden

KallieLashay, the best thing to do for a fall garden is figure out your average frost date, figure out the "days to maturity" for the crops that you want to plant, and then count backwards for the latest possible planting date. For example, bush green beans typically take 60 days to mature. So if your average first frost date is October 15, then you want to plant them at the latest by August 15. You could, of course, always plant anytime before that. Another thing to think about is whether you're planting warm weather loving or cool weather loving crops, and adjust accordingly.

Tomatoes, cucumbers, and all the squashes are typically warm weather loving summer crops, and they will not survive the first frost, or even very cool temps in the 40s. So you probably don't want to start them too late in the summer, although I do see that you posted more than a month ago.

So, how's your fall garden coming along? :)

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
just planted my kale, winter squashes, beans, more peas,cilantro, parsley and such. Our summer is so hot and long many plants must be planted as either fall or early sping.
I have 8 watermelons waiting for harvest. Sweet sugar babies!

pmdkrlgnd

I am in zone 8-9 depending on the catalog. I have planted spinach, beets and some radish. I must have some problem with the soil for the radishes but too busy to check into it. The asparagus I would LOVE to plant but sadly I share the garden with my soulmate of 20 years and he says that it would be three years before the plant would be
a producer. Do not know if I believe him yet, ha ... may be wanting garden space for himself. Carrots are a biggie withe the dogs. Had to fence them in. Doggie treats make carrots irresistable. Good luck with your garden.

shadylane5acres

That is what I understand with asparagus, they come up first like a fine spring smaller in size as that of a pencil, it takes at least three years for a good size to cut. If I remember correctly it is said that it should not be cut with in those years for it to become well established. Once they become good size you can cut them twice a year.

Did not know that about carrots being irresistible with dogs. But I have heard of dogs becoming vegetarians out on the Islands.

Gardengoddess

I am considering asparagus too as we love it in my family. What I read said that if you start with crowns you can harvest the second year of growth. If you plan on being in your home for many years it would be well worth it as a patch of asparagus will produce for many years.

Dora

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dora
Asparagas loves rich organic soils!
It is best to prep the area you are thinking of planting them!
Use peat, well aged manure, and lots of compost. Work it down to at least 12"s!
Side dress with a mixture of well aged manure, and compost yearly! You can even mulch with straw! They will love you for it, and you will love the long term results!

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Asparagas should be coming up soon. I had 5 and I ordered and plant 10 more that never came up. Gurney's is supposed to be replacing them this spring.
They do love organic rich composted material. If you are looking to buy, get the oldest crowns you can afford. Typically it is about 7-10 years before they get to the size you see in the store. Try not to divide or move the crowns once they are planted so make sure to pick a spot you won't need to move them from.

lenitaray

Soon I began to tomato and cucumber seeds. I am 9 and I was in my district, a county extension packages start tomato seeds in July, so you can have a harvest after all the heat out. I will try out some of Bell peppers. A couple years ago, I had sweet 100 tomatoes, until the frost came.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com