Fantasygal1 is here!!!

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

That's good, Gloria. That one doesn't need a separate pollinator and you can take cuttings and increase the number of plants. Our weather here is ideal for berries. They like a long, cool, wet spring. That's lousy weather for tomatoes but great for berries. I took some jams, 8 of them, to a food fair at church on Sunday along with two double batches of sourdough biscuits. Those people over there gobbled up every crumb of those biscuits and I thought I would have to bring some of them home. There were over 100 biscuits in the bag I took.

Still Tasty!!!

Well, Randy, what can I say?? They must've agreed with us about your jams and biscuits....LOL!! You could write your own book on jams and preserves and make some money!!!Better yet you could post some of your recipes for then on the forum and WE"D make some jams....LOL!!! They ARE GOOD!!!!! So as you were able to tell by the parishioners they aren't the only ones that think so.....LOL!! Take care of yourself and yours. Randy!!!

Btw, Gloria, Thank-you and nice to see you too!!!! Glad I found you again!!!!

The recipes are all available when you buy a box of pectin. I think what makes the difference in taste is comparing the jams to those that are commercially made. In any business, the cost of production is a major item, so you can count on the commercial jams being made as cheaply as they can be. Freezer jams cost more to make than cooked jams because they take more sugar. Freezer jams also retain the most of the fresh fruit flavor. Cooking diminishes that. Using commercially available pectin though reduces the time the fruit mix is cooked to a minimum. The fruit is brought to a boil before the sugar is added and then brought to a boil again and kept at a rolling boil for two minutes after the sugar has been added. But commercial jam is boiled until the gel point is reached and they don't add pectin as it will add to the cost of the product. But it takes about 20 to 30 minutes of boiling the fruit/sugar mix to reach the gel point. The longer boiling time reduces the flavor of the fruit. I remember my mother using the old-fashioned way of making jellies and it was always touch and go whether or not the jellies would have a good "set". When pectin became available, she left the old way behind and used the pectin. It does raise the cost of the finished product, but it also insures a good set on the jam.

Thank-you!!

Well, thank-you for sharing that with me Randy!! I've NEVER made jam/preserves but this Christmas I'm tempted to do do. I'll follow your instructions and also I have a book on jams so that may come in helpful. Then I have DH, Matthew, who ALSO is interested in doing this. I must say though that between you and Cassiegerald I'm gaining weight thanks to your DELICIOUS jams......LOL!!! Not to mention her sweet butter pickles...LOL!! Well, Just found two more jars of her zucchini butter...YUMM!!!! I say Randy, between your apple butter and her zucchini butter I can't tell the difference and they're both GOOOOOOOOD!!!.....LOL!! Stay safe all of you and take care!!

I need to make some more apple butter, but I'll use the late apples for that. I also need to make some apple pie filling. I don't use it very often, but Fiona does. She bakes these great smelling pies and then takes them somewhere and brings back the empty dish. Of course, I need pie like I need a hole in the head. LOL I usually bake a cobbler when I do a pie. An apple cobbler takes two quarts of apple pie filling. That particular recipe came from the University of Michigan website.

Hi Nancy!!!!
I have been MIA, had a rough summer but I think things will even out soon!
I am glad to see you!!!
I have missed you...and i know I have not updated you but 3 of the 5 roses rooted!!! I am so excited!
Welcome My Friend!
God Bless You
Treva

Treva,
So glad to hear they rooted for you!!!! I still want that rooting recipe of your Grandma....LOL!!!! Which ones rooted??? Do you know???? I hope it was Oldtimer, Sunsprite and Queen Elizabeth...LOL!! Well, we've both had a hard year and very difficult. Let's just hope it get's better soon and that next year will be better. Talk to you soon!!!!!

Hello Friend!
Someone told me yesterday that you can have new leaves and no roots??
So I am not sure if I have roots or not...but the ones that put on new leaves were Old Timer, Montezuma and Blue Girl. I am so excited i have NEVER had roses with the exception of the knockout rose my husband bought for me last year!
I dont have a rooting secret, I put them in little pots, placed the pots in an old aqaurium, under my oak tree, where I work and kept them moist.

Yes I know things will be ok...I trust in the LORD with all my heart! For now we are not having to move. My husband did not get the job, we asked the Lord to close that door if it was not from Him, and now I have to believe we are where he wants us for now.
I do hope things get better for you too!
I am going to be gone the next week to 2 weeks, my husband has to go for work, so I am going to stay with my daughter...just in case the baby comes while he is gone! She is not due until the 26, but both of her boys came early and she is starting to dialate!!
So I may not be around for the next couple weeks but if I can get online I will pop in!
Love Ya!
Treva,
So glad to hear they rooted for you!!!! I still want that rooting recipe of your Grandma....LOL!!!! Which ones rooted??? Do you know???? I hope it was Oldtimer, Sunsprite and Queen Elizabeth...LOL!! Well, we've both had a hard year and very difficult. Let's just hope it get's better soon and that next year will be better. Talk to you soon!!!!!

That's true

THANK-YOU DIZZY!!!! I may be slow but I finally find things...LOL!!!!

Treva Yes,they can have new growth without new roots. So you just have to wait and see. I do hope they do grow for you. The Oldtimer looked like a big bouquet full of the largest blooms I'd ever seen this year, The Monctezuma is a smaller bouquet but the color of the red-orange roses is outstanding, and the Blue Girl has beautiful large blue roses, or as close to blue as a rose can get. You seem to have the same set-up for growing them that I did. At least until my aquarium had an accident....LOL!! No oak tree though.

Well, I wish your DH well in his job and that your daughter has a fine and healthy baby. If she stays in bed it will slow down the dilation. I learned that threw the doctors that worked in my Family Maternity unit/Post Partum. Don't worry about us while you're away as we understand family comes first. I'll look for you if you do get in touch though. You take care and be good now..LOL!!
Love
Fantasygal1 aka nancy

Last edited:
THANK YOU Nancy I do hope my roses are taking root! They sound absolutely BEAUTIFUL!
I am still at my daughters and have very limited internet access.
I am praying my husband gets enough work to make it possible for us to stay in our home!
My daughter is still caring little aryanna and we saw the dr yesterday looks like shes not coming this week?
;)
THANK-YOU DIZZY!!!! I may be slow but I finally find things...LOL!!!!

Treva Yes,they can have new growth without new roots. So you just have to wait and see. I do hope they do grow for you. The Oldtimer looked like a big bouquet full of the largest blooms I'd ever seen this year, The Monctezuma is a smaller bouquet but the color of the red-orange roses is outstanding, and the Blue Girl has beautiful large blue roses, or as close to blue as a rose can get. You seem to have the same set-up for growing them that I did. At least until my aquarium had an accident....LOL!! No oak tree though.

Well, I wish your DH well in his job and that your daughter has a fine and healthy baby. If she stays in bed it will slow down the dilation. I learned that threw the doctors that worked in my Family Maternity unit/Post Partum. Don't worry about us while you're away as we understand family comes first. I'll look for you if you do get in touch though. You take care and be good now..LOL!!
Love
Fantasygal1 aka nancy

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back