Favorite cookie recipes

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

flwrs4ever

I always bake and give to people that have made an impact on my life thru the past year....always looking for a good cookie recipe...do you have one to share ?

shinekeeper

Snickerdoodles

My favorite cookie in the whole world...am eating one right this second. And I'm sure it and the 4 others will go straight to my thighs. Sigh...crunch....

3-1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 TBS. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1 heaping teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup butter or margarine
2 cups granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tbs. light corn syrup
2-1/2 tsp. vanilla
Additional sugar and cinnamon mixed to roll cookies in

Preheat oven to 375. Grease cookie sheets.

Stir together flour, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon.

Place softened butter and sugar in a large bowl and beat until smooth and light. Beat in eggs and corn syrup, then vanilla. Gradually beat in flour mixture.

Pull off portions of dough and roll into balls the size of walnuts. Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar mixture, place on cookie sheet and flatten cookie with the bottom of a drinking glass. Dip glass in sugar if it sticks. Sprinkle each flattened cookie with a little extra cinnamon/sugar. Try to space cookies 3" apart as they spread. I put 8 on a sheet.

Bake in upper third of oven for 8-10 minutes, or until light brown around the edges. I prefer crisp cookies and go for the longer time. 8 will get you a chewy cookie. Let stand on cookie sheet for a minute or two before using a wide spatula to transfer to cooling rack.

Makes 35-40 4" cookies.

DizzyDaff

I made this one Melt In Your Mouth Cookie with this Ornamental Cookie Frosting - the ones I added lemon extract to turned out to be the favorites of almost everyone!

The other big hit was - Rice Krispy Treats! Easy to make and fabulous to share!
4 cups mini marshmallows
3 TBSP Butter
Melt in a large bowl in the microwave till turn syrup-y, stir hard, add 6 cups rice krispies, stir until its all one big glob and makes threads. Turn out into buttered 9x13 pan, press with buttered spatula, let cool completely before cutting into 1x1 squares.
I like to layer them with other cookies and wax paper as they tend to stick together. Can also dust lightly with powdered sugar.

Last edited:

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
SK, that is also my favorite cookie of all time. The recipe I have is a little different though. We were given a cookie jar as a wedding present 63 years ago and it was filled with three different kinds of cookies. I like cookies, but I can do without them. But one of the cookies in that jar was snickerdoodles. I don't remember what the other two were because they didn't impress me that much. But I still have the original recipe card that our benefactor had placed in that cookie jar with the cookies. I have made them a number of times through the years. Our recipe though has some cream of tartar in it. But I have to agree though about snickerdoodles. I have tasted some done by the commercial bakeries though and they leave a lot to be desired.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love snickerdoodles too
Not doing any baking this yr as everyone said they don't need it this yr
All watching our weight and fat intake

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laurie I have a Meringue cookie that I adapted using Splenda. Would be glad to share with you, main ingredient is whipped egg whites.

Mainegal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dale
I would love to have your recipe. Thanks. I'm already missing my sweets but I have to get my cholesterol down.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meringue Cookies

3 large egg whites, room temperature
1⁄4 t cream of tartar
7⁄8 c splenda (original recipe calls for 3/4 cup of sugar)
1 t vanilla extract
1 1⁄2 c finely chopped or ground pecans or almonds
Instructions
Preheat oven 250 degrees. Line two baking pans with parchment paper. Beat egg whites until foamy add cream of tartar, beat until soft peaks. Add Splenda gradually until very stiff. Add vanilla and nuts. Spoon mounds of meringue mixture on parchment paper. After one hour of baking, check and may need to turn pan for even baking. Cookies are done when slightly ivory color and able to lift from parchment paper. When cookies are done turn off oven and leave in oven a couple of hours to dry. Store in air tight container.

I also have a cinnamon sugar pecan that I use Splenda with if you interested. Hope you enjoy.

Flower4Yeshua

Super Moderator & vegemm
Staff member
Ginger Cookies-Crystallized

-Ginger Cookies-Crystallized-
1 1/4 cups butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon pake powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups honeycorn flakes---I use Nature's Path Honey'd
1 cup rolled oats-old fashion
1 and 1/4 cups crystallized ginger--finely chopped
1 teaspoon orange zest--finely grated

Cream together the shortening with the sugar, eggs,vanilla and orange zest. In a separate bowl combine the remaining dry ingredients except for thr corn fackes, oats and chopped ginger. Add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and stir well to combine. Stir in the corn flakes, oats and chopped ginger. Chill mixture in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Using a small ice cream scoop or a rounded tablespoon, scoop out leveled portions onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes in preheated 350 degree oven. makes about 30 cookies

Gardengoddess

I've made these for cookie exchanges about three years in a row. They are always a big hit :) I usually add a couple tablespoons of shortening to the chocolate for easier dipping.

Dora/Garden Goddess

Chocolate covered orange balls:
INGREDIENTS
1 pound confectioners' sugar
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla wafers, crushed
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 pound butter
1 (6 ounce) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
1 1/2 pounds milk chocolate, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, combine the confectioners sugar, vanilla wafers, walnuts, butter and orange juice. Mix well and shape into 1 inch round balls; allow to dry for 1 hour.
Place chocolate chips in top of double boiler. Stir frequently over medium heat until melted.
Dip balls into melted chocolate and place in decorative paper cups.

Melissa

Tried some new recipes from the food network this year. Mmmmm......Paula Deen had a couple really good ones....actually...I am sure they were all good but I only tried two. The two I tried were the White chocolate and cherry and the Magnolia lace trumpets. Both were wonderful.

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw her do one yesterday that I would like to try. It was a stuffed pork loin. At least I think it was her that did it. I watched three cooking shows in a row. All three of them had some good stuff they showed. But I know Paula Dean was one I wanted to look back on and try one of the things she showed. I'll have to find her website. I was on the turntable while I was watching, so I couldn't write down anything.

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love to try new recipes as well. Makes cooking interesting always trying something new.

Dor

This is my favorite cookie of all times. My mother's friend brought it to our house many many years ago when I was a little girl. I recently found a similar recipe that taste just like it with the same name.

Pecan Crispies
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 1/4 cup flour
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cream shortening, butter, and brown sugar in a large bowl. Mix in the egg. Stir in the combined dry ingredients. Fold in the pecans. Drop by teaspoons 2 inches apart onto a lightly greased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes or until brown. Makes 2 1/2 dozen. enjoy

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
You know, Miss Dorothy, my grandkids don't care for nuts. But I wonder if I made some of those and didn't tell them if they would even know there were nuts in them. If they didn't like them though, I might be forced to have some myself. LOL I love pecans and my sister sent me some from Dallas. They have a tree in their yard there.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
I made Dor's Pecan Crispies cookies during Thanksgiving, my grandchildren loved them. I chopped the pecans really fine, almost granulated, in a chopper as hubby doesn't care for hunks of nuts. They are definitely a family favorite now.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy, I made a batch of Sourdough biscuits this morning..I'm so proud!!! Thank you for your starter, your patience and guidance and written instructions. Do they look ok to you? We're sure enjoying them.

Attachments

• tn_biscuits 003.JPG
    tn_biscuits 003.JPG
    6.8 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

Dale

Super Moderator
Staff member
Randy, I made a batch of Sourdough biscuits this morning..I'm so proud!!! Thank you for your starter, your patience and guidance and written instructions. Do they look ok to you? We're sure enjoying them.

Gloria they look real yummy. You go girl!!!

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com