Fig Bush

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
My mom had fig bushes many years ago and I love figs. My hubby found small ones at Tractor supply and got me 2 of them. Anyone have any info on growing them?

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_174950.jpg
    IMG_20210127_174950.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20210127_174950 cropped.jpg
    IMG_20210127_174950 cropped.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 222

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Gloria!
Fancy meeting you here! :)
When is your frost free planting time?
Looks like they need to be potted up properly....what variety are they?
I'll need to do a search on them first!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi Gloria!
Fancy meeting you here! :)
When is your frost free planting time?
Looks like they need to be potted up properly....what variety are they?
I'll need to do a search on them first!
Hey Ron! I think you may see me here more often now. :) I was told they are Common figs. It looks like March may be frost free for SC. Yes, I do need to get them potted ASAP. I'll try and do that tomorrow and just keep them inside for awhile. Long time ago I had a little one off my Mom's bush and I'm ashamed and heart broken to say, I killed it.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good morning Gloria!
Think the main issue with figs is that they hate soggy soil and are prone to root rot.....they like to stay on the dry side...Taking the pots to the sink and water from above until water starts running out the bottom is the way to go, but make sure they drain well so they do not sit water.
Use a light loose type soil and only water once the soil surface dries out....water a bit more often once the stems start to develop leaves.
They like sun so a sunny east window would be great with morning sun!

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the info Ron. I have them potted and they are beginning to put on a leaf cluster in the top. So far they look good!

Cooky

My mom had fig bushes many years ago and I love figs. My hubby found small ones at Tractor supply and got me 2 of them. Anyone have any info on growing them?
We had a couple that got nice figs.
If you live in the north you need Hardy ones.
Plant them on the side of the house that gets all day sun. But close to the house for warmth. We put them by a brick wall so the heat radiated back out at night. You have to protect them from the winter. Wrap them in Tarps

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cooky, I live in South Carolina. The weather here is very close to what Florida has, very hot and humidity is awful! We have mild winters. Today was 80 degrees. Tomorrow the high will be in the 60's. It snows here about every 5 years and only a few inches and it's gone in the next 2 days if that long.

RonsGarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gloria, it would be a good idea to remove the fig so the plant can concentrate on growing roots, stems and leaves.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com