Fig

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

Spider_Lily

My fig tree is loaded with fig's.I have'nt picked any because no one like's them but me.The bird's have been enjoying them.I went out today and there's honeybee's all over the fig's.I have'nt seen honeybee's in year's here.Maybe just one or two random one's.There's at least three to four to the fig.That's alot of bee's.I'm glad to see them and feed them too.:)All the rain we got yesterday ruined them they are soured smelling.That may have attracted the bee's.LOL Here's a picture but not very clear two bee's on this fig.

Attachments

• Flowers -10 010.JPG
    Flowers -10 010.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 342

Crabbergirl

Super Moderator
Staff member
Great! Honey bees are in such decline. Letting the ripe fruit fall to the ground and rot will attract even more bees.

Spider_Lily

Good these are the first I have seen in year's there's probally a hive full out there now.Wish they would hang around but afraid they will leave.They have plenty to eat that's for sure.:)

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love figs and my brother has fixed me up with some dried ones in the past. But he and his wife are moving into a retirement home and they will leave behind the fruit trees along with their home in Los Gatos, CA.

Spider_Lily

Awww that's sad Randy I have never dried any how do you do it.To late this season because their almost gone.

Gloria

Super Moderator
Staff member
Spider, I can't believe you're letting ALL the figs fall!! I love figs and finally got a small bush last year but it seems to be in shock, no growth and no fruit. I guess I need to pamper it till next year and maybe it'll liven up and produce. My Mom would make jam with figs that was real good. I didn't get her recipe but I do know she used a package of strawberry jello in it. Wish I'd paid more attention back when..

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Denny just sliced them in half and plopped them in his food dryer and let it do its thing. That's about all I do with the stuff I dry. I have dried cherries, apples, pears, and blueberries. I let the blueberries go too long though. The other stuff I slice about 1/4" thick and lay it out on the trays and turn the dehydrator on. They are dry by the next morning. Then I put them in plastic bags and toss them in the freezer. Being dry, they will keep for awhile without refrigeration, but a friend of mine told me he had dried a bunch of fruit and put it up in his kitchen cabinet and later when he took the bag out to use some, there were bugs in it. I don't know what kind of bugs and it doesn't matter. I know by freezing the dried fruit, I've never had a bug problem. I use these fruits to weigh out snacks to keep on hand. I weigh out 1.5 ounces of dried fruit and 1.5 ounces of nuts, usually walnuts. That gives me a carb shot with a protein to level out the carbohydrate absorbtion into the blood. I think I weigh about 20 little snack bags at a time and use them as needed. It isn't an issue of being hungry as much as it is controlling the blood sugar for diabetes.

GPM

The over ripe figs are a great source of nectar/sugar source for many insects. Right now is dearth for honeybees and very limited sources of any pollens. They travel up to 3 miles in any direction for food. At least the insects know when the figs are ripe. I have two plants like yours and they grow fine. If you wish to see the honeybees more often, give them a source to feed from: Russian Sage, Cat Mint, Catnip are most loved sources for honeybees. And let the dutch white clover grow too in your lawn.

Spider_Lily

Spider, I can't believe you're letting ALL the figs fall!! I love figs and finally got a small bush last year but it seems to be in shock, no growth and no fruit. I guess I need to pamper it till next year and maybe it'll liven up and produce. My Mom would make jam with figs that was real good. I didn't get her recipe but I do know she used a package of strawberry jello in it. Wish I'd paid more attention back when..

No one here but me like's the fig's.I put up a few jar's of preserves.But not many not good for my diet.I had the tree cut a few year's ago but it came back full force almost as tall as the eve of my house and wide.I love to pick them from the tree and eat them.My sister makes the strawberry fig preserves all she does is add a couple large packs of jello to her sugar when cooking.

Spider_Lily

The over ripe figs are a great source of nectar/sugar source for many insects. Right now is dearth for honeybees and very limited sources of any pollens. They travel up to 3 miles in any direction for food. At least the insects know when the figs are ripe. I have two plants like yours and they grow fine. If you wish to see the honeybees more often, give them a source to feed from: Russian Sage, Cat Mint, Catnip are most loved sources for honeybees. And let the dutch white clover grow too in your lawn.

I only have a tiny spot with white clover but it's only here in the Spring.The red clover grow's everywhere along the roadsides.May have to invest in the sage.Their sure enjoying the fig's again this morning I think the whole hive's back LOL But that's ok at least their no going to waste between them and the bird's.

Spider_Lily

I think Denny just sliced them in half and plopped them in his food dryer and let it do its thing. That's about all I do with the stuff I dry. I have dried cherries, apples, pears, and blueberries. I let the blueberries go too long though. The other stuff I slice about 1/4" thick and lay it out on the trays and turn the dehydrator on. They are dry by the next morning. Then I put them in plastic bags and toss them in the freezer. Being dry, they will keep for awhile without refrigeration, but a friend of mine told me he had dried a bunch of fruit and put it up in his kitchen cabinet and later when he took the bag out to use some, there were bugs in it. I don't know what kind of bugs and it doesn't matter. I know by freezing the dried fruit, I've never had a bug problem. I use these fruits to weigh out snacks to keep on hand. I weigh out 1.5 ounces of dried fruit and 1.5 ounces of nuts, usually walnuts. That gives me a carb shot with a protein to level out the carbohydrate absorbtion into the blood. I think I weigh about 20 little snack bags at a time and use them as needed. It isn't an issue of being hungry as much as it is controlling the blood sugar for diabetes.

I have a dehydrator love to make beef jerky.Will have to try drying fruit never thought about that.Freezing your fruit is a good idea.Might keep in a mason jar with a tight lid.Your friend might have had those fruit fly bug's or fruit weevil's. might have to go beat :eek:the bee's off and try a few..

Randy

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't been bothered by any of them yet. We do have plenty of the yellow jackets too though and they won't put up with much.

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com