Finally Spring at the Smelly household

GardenForums.com a friendly and growing community of gardeners. We feature a Garden Discussion Forum and Garden Photo Gallery. It's a fun and friendly place to talk with other gardeners, ask questions, share you knowledge, view and post photos and more! Whether you're a master gardener, or brand new to the hobby, you'll find something of interest here.

If I cut my columbines back after they bloom, they will usually bloom again later in the yr. i love them, have lots of babies in the gardens as i spread some seed around last fall

Gloria, I have a couple columbine that is big enough to divide...or if you wait until this fall...I will just send you the seed...its a wonderful seed to wintersow. LMK

Fall seeds would be great Mel, now that I have done some winter sowing..I feel like a pro! :D

I'm tagging the columbine now so once the blooms are gone and the seeds have formed, I will know which ones are which....I just wonder that since they are all planted in the same area that the seeds won't be true. So...I am gonna tag...but its hard to tell what the seeds will produce. Maybe I should just dump all the columbine together and trade it as mixed. I got some new ones bloomed today...hopefully will have the time to get some pictures tomorrow and post them. Am also hoping to have another peony open and maybe the white iris. My Galahad Delphinium is also blooming..but also falling over :( Need to stake them up...Too much to do and not enough time to do it!! And last but certainly not least...I think I will have some roses to post!!!

Found some more

I found some from early spring....big difference between 1-09 and 4-09. Sargeant Clump Crabapple, tulips, and daffs
gardenia daffodils
creeping phlox, baby roses, columbine, salvia, and sprouting joe pye weed

Attachments

• tn_icestorm 1-28-09 12.JPG
    tn_icestorm 1-28-09 12.JPG
    4.6 KB · Views: 279
  • tn_100_0441.jpg
    tn_100_0441.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 301
  • tn_100_0445.jpg
    tn_100_0445.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 281
  • tn_100_0448.jpg
    tn_100_0448.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 272
  • tn_100_0476.jpg
    tn_100_0476.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 272
If I cut my columbines back after they bloom, they will usually bloom again later in the yr. i love them, have lots of babies in the gardens as i spread some seed around last fall

Did you plant your red columbine I sent you yet? Mine never came up. Is there some secret to germinating them. They are so small.

There is cause to worry about the decline in bees Gloria. I had heard last year that they were at a premium and then I heard rumours as to why - one was b/c of all the cell phone signals shooting through the air from the towers, etc...and that was killing them. DOn't know if that is the real cause or if there is something else, but it is something to think about.

We live in a world where we put our lives and progress above that of nature. Pesticides are a major concern with bee populations. Not only have they killed the bees but they also cause them to be come less resistant to diseases. Most people think bees are going to attack them so they get out the Raid and spry like fools. Bees are our biggest pollinators and we should try to protect them. I have noticed a huge decline in activity just this year alnoe:( This is not a honey bee but a bumble bee. He is still very much an important part of our ecology. He won't hurt you unless you bother him. Wasp are also very important.
Ok I'll get off my soap box now. Sorry I just get all worked up over the whole mess.;)

Attachments

• he works hard for the honey.JPG
    he works hard for the honey.JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 308
Thank you

Thank you for all your kind words...my columbine are blushing. Speaking of Columbine...I have more!!

Attachments

• tn_double pink.jpg
    tn_double pink.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 273
  • tn_Pretty face.jpg
    tn_Pretty face.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 268
  • tn_white with sunny face.jpg
    tn_white with sunny face.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 273
  • tn_Mckana.jpg
    tn_Mckana.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 285
Another Peony and Iris

Attachments

• tn_White Iris.jpg
    tn_White Iris.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 288
  • tn_Pink Peony.jpg
    tn_Pink Peony.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 263
More

Loosestrife, Sweet William, Yarrow, and Delphinium

Attachments

• tn_Loosestrife.jpg
    tn_Loosestrife.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 306
  • tn_Sweet William.jpg
    tn_Sweet William.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 289
  • tn_Yarrow.jpg
    tn_Yarrow.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 278
  • tn_Galahad.jpg
    tn_Galahad.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 279
And finally the roses...my first two blooms: Proud Land and Therese Bugnet

Attachments

• tn_Proud Land.jpg
    tn_Proud Land.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 277
  • tn_Teresa.jpg
    tn_Teresa.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 273
more

I have more peonies blooming. The last one was a prize given by Dizzy....thank you....I love it!!

Attachments

• tn_100_0565.jpg
    tn_100_0565.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 297
  • tn_100_0566.jpg
    tn_100_0566.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 274
  • tn_100_0567.jpg
    tn_100_0567.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 304
  • tn_100_0568.jpg
    tn_100_0568.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 262
This is the rose formerly known as Sundance....it was grafted and the sundance graft died so now I have the root stock blooming :(
and my first Gaillardia....Hello Mr Sunshine!!

Attachments

• tn_the rose formerly known as Sundance.jpg
    tn_the rose formerly known as Sundance.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 278
  • tn_Gaillardia.jpg
    tn_Gaillardia.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 268

Gardenforums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

Back